Forums

Tesla vehicle charging schedule

Tesla vehicle charging schedule

I am sure this has probably been discussed before how ever I didn't see anything in the forums. Is it just me or does anyone else think that the current Tesla charging schedule is poor. My Fiat 500e charging schedule way more configurable than my model x. The only option for the Tesla's are a charging start time. With the Fiat I can set a start and end time for weekdays and weekends. I would love to purchase a Tesla wall connector or use the Tesla charger that came with the car vs. using a charger with the Tesla adapter. How ever since my electric company has cheaper rates during off peak times I have to use a Charge Point charger that will start and stop at specified times.

Does anyone know if Tesla plans on updating the vehicles software to have a true charging schedule?

Tesla exp.

charging start time 11:00pm and charges until the charge limit is hit

Fiat 500e exp.

Week days charging start time 11:00pm end charging 7:00am

Weekend charging start time 7:00pm end charging 3:00pm

Rocky_H | 17 augustus 2018

Most people don't really find that much need for it in most circumstances. People usually get fast enough charging circuits that the cars aren't charging for 10+ hours with any need to artificially stop the charging time early. You can set it to start when your rates go cheap, and it's probably done within 4 or 5 hours, which is within your cheap charging window.

frankie | 17 augustus 2018

I understand that, and I currently have a 100amp circuit ready for the Model X. The issue it the vehicle is driven between 120 to 200 miles per day. Being limited to only being able to set a start time in turn make me have to adjust the charge limit up or down depending on what time I plug it in at night, then re adjusting the charge limit if we go to a super charger etc. I would be nice to use all Tesla products to accomplish and allow the vehicle to charge automatically during specific times since weekend times are different than weekdays. I am just surprised a $110k + vehicle has less options for charging than my $100 per month leased vehicle. Another option is have the Tesla wall connectors have wifi capabilities with a charging schedule. I guess for now I will have to continue using my charge point charger on a 40amp circuit.

Anzir | 17 augustus 2018

If you have an android phone you can use Dashboard for Tesla and it can schedule a start/stop time for charging. You can use your Tesla products with that capability. I'm not sure what is the comparable app on iOS.

Looks like an amazing app. I will have to do more research on the company and app before I start providing an out side source access to my tesla account and access to control my vehicle.

Here is the link to the site for anyone else interested in the app. Pricing seems fair as well since the app does cost money.

https://sg57productions.com/dashboardfortesla

Yodrak. | 17 augustus 2018

"Most people don't really find that much need for it in most circumstances."

I agree. Still, the idea of a Tesla is that it should have amazing capabilities and set the standard for other car makers to aspire to, not be average or below average. The idea of having both start and stop times for charging should be easy enough to implement.

@yodrak I agree with that. No mater if its used by others often or not there are still plenty of people who may use it every once in a while f the option was avail.

johnse | 17 augustus 2018

@frankie “I understand that, and I currently have a 100amp circuit ready for the Model X. The issue it the vehicle is driven between 120 to 200 miles per day. Being limited to only being able to set a start time in turn make me have to adjust the charge limit up or down depending on what time I plug it in at night, then re adjusting the charge limit if we go to a super charger etc.”

I think you may have a misunderstanding of the operational realities. If you have a 100 amp line with a Tesla Wall Connector, an X100D can charge at 72 amps, or 45 miles range added per hour. It will take less than 5 hours to recharge your daily usage. So unless you used 200 miles range but only have 2-3 hours before the end of the good charging rates, you would never need to dial down the charge limit. But you would still need to charge long enough to get you enough range for the next day, which would be better done at the faster rate.

If you have an X75D, your max rate is only 48A, 30 miles range/hour, not as much differential from your other charging option.

@johnse, I understand all the charging rates and times. I also understand when my peak and off peak times start. If my off peak ends at 7am and i dont get home from work till 5 or 6 am i dont want the car to continue charging non stop till its charged to the charge limit. I would like the car to charge from 5am till 7 am when peak time starts then stop and then when peak time ends continue charging. Its just a feature that i would expect a $100k car to do if a $20k car can. Ill i was saying is my fiat has a much better charging schedule than the tesla. and for now I will continue to use a charge point charger that automatically charges during off peak times only unless i tell it too. just more work always having to use a J1772 adapter to charge. Plus I dont need to charge at home fully all the time. Tesla has a super charger a block from my work and only a few miles from my home.

@johnse, I understand all the charging rates and times. I also understand when my peak and off peak times start. If my off peak ends at 7am and i dont get home from work till 5 or 6 am i dont want the car to continue charging non stop till its charged to the charge limit. I would like the car to charge from 5am till 7 am when peak time starts then stop and then when peak time ends continue charging. Its just a feature that i would expect a $100k car to do if a $20k car can. Ill i was saying is my fiat has a much better charging schedule than the tesla. and for now I will continue to use a charge point charger that automatically charges during off peak times only unless i tell it too. just more work always having to use a J1772 adapter to charge. Plus I dont need to charge at home fully all the time. Tesla has a super charger a block from my work and only a few miles from my home.

JayInJapan | 17 augustus 2018

Just set it at 11pm (if that’s the start of your off-peak) every night. It will stop when it’s charged. Works great.

Yodrak. | 18 augustus 2018

Some people are missing the point. :-(

TeslaTap.com | 18 augustus 2018

@frankie - Those that buy a $100K vehicle are less likely to be concerned about saving $20-30 year and figuring out complex weekly charging schedules. It's great to be able to just plug in and have it work.

I can see a bottom end EV like the 500e that only offers slow charging requiring all these extra settings just to get a charge, especially with such limited range.

There is something to be said for simplicity too rather than have lots of complex options that would be far more confusing to most owners. Still, it has come up before, but seems to be a rare owner than needs/wants the controls you desire.

frankie | 18 augustus 2018

@teslatap I know just setting the car to 11pm works for most with normal work schedules. But for people who work grave yard or off hours the option would be nice. Like i said in a previous post. My charge point charger solves the problem for me. I would just like use all tesla products for easier charging.

@jayinjapan. On peak and off peak hours are different. During the week and weekend and holidays. Simply just setting the car to start charging at 11pm is not always accurate.

My off peak and on peak cost. Are $.12 vs $.47 thats a big difference. If i get home from work at 6am and the car charges from 6am till completion 90% of the charge will be during peak time.

johnse | 18 augustus 2018

@frankie

Yes, in your situation of not being home during much of your off-peak availability, having a more flexible schedule would be good.

I think the reason they don’t have better at the moment is that every feature takes time to design, implement, test, etc. Any individual feature is not a huge deal. But prioritizing among them is a constant balancing act.

I also think v8 software has been in a bit of a holding pattern for a while. I would suggest seeing if v9 has any improvements in this area and then suggest it if there isn’t.

milesbb | 18 augustus 2018

@frankie
I agree a simple software download by Tesla could allow you to charge only during off peak times. Most folks drive home before the start of the off peak rates and a simple start option is fine. But if you work swing shift or graveyard and arrive home with a short amount of time before rates go up you will want to stop charging until rates return low. I suspect Tesla will eventually add this option. Model 3 owners will have a higher percentage of users that work non standard shifts then the average Model S owners. Model 3 they will be requesting this update and get what they want.

@milesbb agreed model 3 especially the base models will be a more cost effective car like my fiat was. A simple update would deffenitly help or give the option.

EVRider | 19 augustus 2018

Like @johnse said, there’s no such thing as a “simple” software update, even if it’s a minor feature change.

joevierra | 29 januari 2020

I completely agree that the Tesla needs a "Stop Charging Time". This would be an optional setting that a user is not forced to set. If you don't enter a "Stop Charging Time", the car would still function the way it does now. PG&E in California has changed it's Time Of Use hours so that I have lowest price electricity at any time between Midnight and 3 PM every day of the week. The current functionality will not start charging unless it's 12 midnight. If I drive my car in the morning and plug it back in before 3PM, I want my car to automatically charge until 3PM (or it's done charging if it finishes before 3PM) at which point it should stop. The problem will pressing the "Start Charging" button is it will charge the car completely, even if this requires the car to keep charging past 3PM, which would mean it would use expensive electricity. To avoid using expensive electricity, I normally don't use the "Start Charging" button at all. I am sure everyone wants their car to charge as long as electricity is cheap, NO MATTER WHEN YOU PLUG IT IN. In addition, everyone would want their car to stop charging at the time the electricity gets expensive. If you want your car to charge fully no matter what time it is, then you use the "Start Charging" button.

PLEASE add a "Stop Charging Time" feature... THANKS

Earl and Nagin ... | 29 januari 2020

@joevierra,
Great idea.
That feature came in a recent software update.

nathngamsiri | 8 maart 2020

I would like to set a complex charging schedule. FPL has varying off peak hours throughout the year. I would like to set my charging schedule to only charge during those hours, without having to remember to go into the setting to adjust the time frame.

Tesla2018 | 8 maart 2020

Nathngamsiri- Are you on the FPL time of day plan now? It looks as though you only save if you use more than 1000 KWH per month. I only use that much in July and August. How many kw do you use per month and what is your bill on the plan.
I believe weekends are off peak all the time so you could plug in your car only on Sunday and hopefully have enough of a charge to make it to Friday night. Or if you need to charge daily, there is always a time that is off peak all year long. Maybe 12am to 5 am? As long as you can get 5 hrs of continuous charging using 240v at 30 mph or more you shouldn't have to worry unless you are driving crazy distances every day.

FISHEV | 8 maart 2020

"I would like to set a complex charging schedule"

Maybe some of EU users will tell how they handle the complex charging schedules. The EU countries offer a lot of discounts based on time of day charging due to better gov't regulation on utilities to promote EV usage.