Forums

$500 wall charger faster

$500 wall charger faster

Is the $500 wall charger faster than the included one if you use a 40amp breaker?

slingshot18 | 31 oktober 2018

https://www.tesla.com/support/home-charging-installation/wall-connector

A wall charger at 40amps you'll get 30mph on the Model 3.

Frank99 | 31 oktober 2018

Not if you use a 40 Amp Breaker. By the NEC, an EV can only be charged at 80% of the electrical circuit rating, so when you install the HPWC and configure it for a 40A circuit, it'll charge at 32A, precisely the same as the UMC that comes with the car.

Rt002k | 31 oktober 2018

The included one will charge at a max of 32A on a NEMA 14-50 outlet, which is the same thing the wall charger will do on a 40A breaker. If you go up to 60A, the wall charger will charge at up to 48A while the included one will still top out at 32A.

https://www.tesla.com/support/home-charging-installation/wall-connector
https://www.tesla.com/support/home-charging-installation/mobile-connector

peldor427 | 31 oktober 2018

@Frank99 - thanks for the info, I wondered why the 60 amps specked for the Model 3 limited it to 48 amps!

roger.klurfeld | 1 november 2018

The charger is in the car, and the maximum rate of charge for the charger is 48 amps AC. Of course DC charges, think superchargers, bypass the onboard charger so they can chage at a much higher rate.You can go from a 50 amp circuit to a 60 amp circuit by changing the breaker, but be sure you have 6 AWG wire in the circuit. Then you can charge at the 48 amp level.

socaldave | 1 november 2018

Wot Rt002k said. That's how my HPWC is configured - running on a 60A breaker, charging at 48A.

donnyb | 1 november 2018

I am getting the wall connector installed. I am 1 amp over at my house so I have to go with a 50 amp breaker.

JAMESLHARWOOD | 1 november 2018

Answer is YES!

If you install your HWPC with atleast a 60amp breaker and settings set to atleast 60amp you will charge the model 3 at 48amps max. That 48amp is the max that the cars internal inverter can do (super charging is not using that inverter) .

If you used the supplied charger (UMC) that comes with the model 3 no matter how many amps the outlet and breaker are rated at the supplied charger can only charge 32amps max. It's limited by that charger or UMC.

Atoms | 1 november 2018

Donnyb - you are 1 A over your house?
Did you actually do a load calculation for your house. These things are not that accurate. Easily fudge 1A.
I’ve checked over several years with my electric provider which does 15min average reports. My peak consumption over 2 years of data is HALF the load calculation.
There is so much margin that it is silly.
Replace two lightbulbs with LEDs and you will have lowered by 1A. Do this for your house and you will reduc the load considerably.

Wormtown Kris | 2 november 2018

We installed the Wall Connector on a 60A circuit, and we get 44 to 45mph when we charge. This is maximizing the Model 3's 48amp max. Of course, the same Wall Connector in a 40A circuit will charge slower. YMMV.

Wattsm309 | 20 maart 2019

Thanks everyone for the clarification

mrburke | 20 maart 2019

The wall adapter can be quicker to plug-in and unplug, depending on whether you take your portable charge adapter with you or not. You don't have to get it out of the trunk, plug it in to the wall outlet and then put it back when you leave. Those couple of minutes everyday add up over time.

ADinM3 | 20 maart 2019

Or you buy a second one for $300 bucks. I considered the wall charger, but I already had a 14-50 outlet in the garage and honestly after a year of use I have never found I had a situation where the incrementally faster charging speed of 48A would have made a difference.

And not to rehash old threads, but unless you have unbundled 6 awg wire in conduit, you really need to be using 4 awg wire for the continuous 48A wall charger, especially if your wire runs through a hot attic. Many people and electricians will say 6awg because they are use to wiring for non-continuous loads. You will probably be fine as there is the some inherent margin in the wire and usage pattern involved, but a 240v 48A draw is no joke. If you are having an install done, spend the extra $20-50 fxor heavier wire.

richmond1508 | 20 maart 2019

Only Model 3’s with a LR battery have a 48 amp on board charger. When used with a wall connector and 60 amp outlet they can charge at 44 miles/hr. The MR, SR/SR+ models only have 32 amp chargers and max out at 30 miles/hr so there is no speed benefit to the wall connector for these models.