Forums

Poor Customer Service: No Receipt or Confirmation for $5K Purchase

Poor Customer Service: No Receipt or Confirmation for $5K Purchase

I'll just post the email chain so far... I'm sure some will say this is perfectly normal and BMW, Audi and Mercedes all do the same thing.

----------
To: customersupport@tesla.com
Sent: 3/21/2019 6:57 PM
Subject: AP and FSD not showing up in online account info

Hello,

I purchased AP and FSD recently (March 12). It works fine in my car but those purchases are not showing up on the web site under my car's options screen. The options section only shows premium interior but not the AP and FSD purchases. Other owners have them show up there in their online accounts.

Also, I never received a receipt for the AP and FSD purchase though my credit card was charged. Please send me one.

I would like some record that I have actually purchased these options!

Thank you,
Carl Thompson

----------
To: Carl Thompson
Sent: March 23, 2019 at 5:12 PM

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Tesla. Please allow me to apologize for the delay in responding to your email.

Due to all the excitement and overwhelming response to the new pricing that was announced, we are still processing all the update requests from customers. We sincerely appreciate your patience as we continue to ensure each vehicle is configured correctly. If you purchased an Autopilot upgrade between February 28th and March 12th, you should be receiving your update soon.

While Autopilot is designed to become more capable over time, in its current form, it is not a self-driving system. There are five levels of automation and Autopilot is currently classified as a Level 2 automated system according to SAE J3016, which is endorsed by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. I had the opportunity to review your vehicle’s configuration. I do see that your vehicle configuration states your car will be fully configured to enable Full Self Driving once it is available. For your proof of purchase, it’s my pleasure to request a receipt for your purchase.

Please visit our Support Page, which covers frequently asked questions about Tesla and your vehicle. If you have any further questions or concerns, you can reach Customer Support 24/7 at customersupport@tesla.com.

Best Regards,
Celeste W. | Tesla Support

----------
Sent: 3/29/2019 9:16 AM
Subject: RE: AP and FSD not showing up in online account info

Hello,

I still haven't received a receipt nor do I see any acknowledgement on my "My Tesla" page that I have purchased the AP and FSD options. I understand that you see it on your systems but I require some sort of formal acknowledgement of my purchase for my own records and also for insurance purposes.

Thank you,
Carl Thompson

----------
To: Carl Thompson
Sent: March 30, 2019 at 10:13 AM

Hello,

Thank you for the update. I have been advised that the receipts should be available after the end of the month. We appreciate your patience as we work towards generating the correct receipts for purchases made during this month. They should be available soon.

Thank you,
Celeste W. | Tesla Support

----------
Sent: April 9, 2019 at 7:09 AM

Hello,

It has been nearly a month and I have still not received a receipt nor do I see any confirmation in my car's "View Details" page that have added these features. These were purchases costing several thousand dollars; it is not acceptable to not have the documentation I need for them.

Please escalate as needed to resolve this issue as quickly as possible and let me know when I can expect a response.

Thank you,
Carl Thompson

----------
[Silence... Crickets chirping]

----------
Sent: April 17, 2019 at 10:31 AM

Please escalate this issue to your executive team immediately and let me know what's going on. I should not need to beg for a receipt and confirmation of my purchase.

Thank you,
Carl Thompson

Magic 8 Ball | 17 april 2019

I don't think you helped your communication with them by telling them you should not need to beg, just sayn'. That talk is rude : ).

Also when you say other owners have it on their accounts how have you validated that?

Rt002k | 17 april 2019

"Full Self Driving Capability" showed up on my account within a day or two of purchasing in March. I have not received a receipt though.

gmkellogg | 17 april 2019

Yeah Carl's got a legit case here. Their responses are terrible.

Yorktown2018 | 17 april 2019

I'm in a somewhat similar situation. I purchased both EAP and FSD (separately) from my local SC and got receipts for them, but I have no mention of those features on my Account.

Granted, I am able to use EAP just fine, it's still frustrating to not have any indication of those features on my profile page.

lbowroom | 17 april 2019

Yet he is in possession of the features. Sounds important...

gmkellogg | 17 april 2019

Communication is just as important for a company. Giving a date of when to expect the issue being resolved and then not delivering on that date, or communicating after that date has passed is pretty piss poor.

Yorktown2018 | 17 april 2019

Oh don't get me wrong, I'm grateful that I have EAP enabled, but my problem is this

1) I was told by several people that Tesla pushes out a hidden(?) update once FSD is purchased. I was told over a month ago that they are "behind on updates and will be pushing it out ASAP.

2) Regarding the features displaying on my account, it's the principal of it. If I have paid for those features, then they should be on my account.

beaver | 17 april 2019

Carl - just be patient, your car works right (i.e. you have AP)? Tesla is under immense pressure right now and the lack of purchase proof, while annoying, is not high priority. I agree they should communicate better and provide an email receipt for all purchases.

My advice - just be patient, I bought AP and FSD when the dropped the price and it finally shows in my online account yesterday. Yours will update soon. Give the poor service agents a break.

Rt002k | 17 april 2019

@beaver - as someone who works in customer service, the only way processes change is if the management team is made aware of how they are lacking. Unfortunately in Tesla's situation, the only way for that to happen is to work through the customer service agents because we, as customers, do not have access to their management (unlike my customers - they just call me up and I can route the issue to the proper part of the company responsible and systems get improved over time). The back end of their sales process is pretty poor - there is no online account are to view open or past orders outside of your car itself and your supercharging history. There are no receipts auto generated for feature adds. All their customer service processes from the outside looking in look very manual and open to mistake. What happens when FSD features start getting released and Carl doesn't get them, and then needs to prove to Tesla that he is entitled to them? Right now, his only recourse is to go back to his credit card statement to show that he paid Tesla some large amount of money - but that doesn't prove what it was for. If there's no receipt, and it doesn't show up on his account, there is no reason to be certain that it is properly documented somewhere else.

Bighorn | 17 april 2019

It's pretty straight forward. Go to Tesla Account/Shop/Autopilot upgrades. If nothing is for sale, then you have EAP and FSD.

Trevoroklein | 17 april 2019

@Carl, same boat here. Purchased both upgrades on 3/6, and even after chatting a few times with support, no receipt or indication in my account that it's there. It's in the car, so I'm not too worried, but definitely want proof of the purchase, if nothing else for tax purposes.

FWIW, the latest rep told me that a service center can print the receipt for me, so I may wander down to see if that's true. I'll report back.

Trevoroklein | 17 april 2019

I also had our tires rotated by mobile service, and the tech told me I'd get the receipt in my email. That was three weeks back, and still nothing.

Wonder if the root cause is related...

jjgunn | 17 april 2019

Receipt from Tesla is really unnecessary as long as you have the credit card transaction & what you paid for available to you.

I've used CC trx numerous times as I've lost receipts & they are perfectly acceptable.

I do agree about having the listed features with your vehicle, especially if you plan on selling the car - all paid-for features should be tied to your VIN & showing.

qasim715 | 17 april 2019

Went through a similar situation when my model 3 for totaled as insurance would not pay for the fsd I had upgraded after buying the car during the fsd discount period. They asked for documented proof of purchase with date as it wasn't showing up on the VIN. Contacted Tesla and they said they would reach out with 2 days and provide the receipt. Guess what, no response from them after that. I was lucky enough to have the fsd upgrade show up under my vehicle tab on my account and took a screenshot of that page and gave it to my insurance and thankfully they accepted it bringing up the cars value by $2800. I totally agree the after sales service from Tesla is dismal at best.

Carl Thompson | 17 april 2019

My insurance agent has told me that in order for the replacement cost of EAP and FSD to be covered in the event I total my car I need some sort of documented proof that the car has those features. I don't like driving around with a major component of my car uninsured.

And I also just am one of those people that likes to have a receipt or some type of documentation to record all purchases but especially big ones.

Carl Thompson | 17 april 2019

@qasim715

Your story is why I need a receipt. I don't think it's unreasonable for me to demand one.

moff | 17 april 2019

Mine showed up on Monday. I was in similar situation, purchased FSD and autopilot during the 'sale'. I sent an email about 2-3 weeks ago, got a reply last week saying it should show up in my account within the next 7 business days.

wiscy67 | 17 april 2019

That's a great sale. I think I would spring for AP and FSD for a total of $5k if they offered it now. Maybe.

With language like "demand" and "should not need to beg" I am getting a much better understanding as to why Carl may be have so many issues with Tesla.

base428 | 17 april 2019

Your credit card statement is your receipt. Why do other people's problems need to be broadcast over the internet? No one cares about your situation and you're not special.

rasinas | 17 april 2019

I had about the same email chain as you. Today finally my account was updated but never got a receipt or a followup email that it was corrected. Who knows maybe it was updated by someone else and my support tech didn't have anything to do with it.
I wanted it taken care of for 2 reasons. One was to make sure they didn't lose the records of our purchase. I know their team that handles pushing the options to the cars got it but not the sales/records team. And secondly when FSD is needing hardware v3 I don't want to have to prove we purchased it.

Rt002k | 17 april 2019

@base - A credit card statement is a record that money was paid, not what was purchased. I paid Tesla $2,000 on 3/16. What was it for? FSD? Model 3 18" Aero Wheel winter tire package? A roof rack, car cover, wall connector and other miscellaenous items? Maybe I outfitted my nephew's little league team with Tesla t-shirts. My credit card doesn't say what it was.

qasim715 | 17 april 2019

That credit card statement was not good enough documentation for what was bought in my case that's for sure. Rt002k is completely correct on that. Also in my case, Tesla didn't even have a record of what I paid for, they just saw the same charge as I saw on my credit card. Hence my issue was escalated to a different department as the sales rep couldn't provide any documentation. But that department has still yet to respond, albeit I don't need them to anymore but this can be a serious issue if insurance denies a fair payout. Mine thankfully did not.

"Why do other people's problems need to be broadcast over the internet? No one cares about your situation..........."

5 smiling turtles for you

stinnett | 17 april 2019

Carl Thompson: I was in your situation until two days ago (Monday Apr 15). Although I never sent Tesla a message asking about getting my AP/FSD listed, I did want it on my account page. I checked regularly and no-show. Monday I checked, and it was there. I actually gave a little "whoop" which probably startled the neighbors. Much the same, I believe, for moff, The Beaver, and rasinas. It's really just a matter of time, I think. However, like you, I sort of would like a receipt for the purchase. The listing on the account may be good enough, but it's better to be safe than sorry. If you ever get the receipt, please post and maybe I'll give it a try also.

Rt002k: Agreed, a credit card purchase might be for anything, and a stubborn insurance company may not take your word for it. But, hmmm, a Little League team all logo'ed up with Tesla T's ... that would be worth seeing.

p.s. to moff: Any relation to Grand Moff Tarkin? Just askin'. For a friend.

lbowroom | 17 april 2019

Carl, your complaint would carry more weight if you had indeed totaled your car, your insurance company was refusing to pay, and you couldn't get satisfaction from Tesla. Fanning the flames with hypothetical mental masturbation is tiresome.

madkim23 | 17 april 2019

Rough crowd. I think the frustration stems from the inconsistency. Some have their account details updated, others don’t. Some get an immediate receipt after purchase and Tesla even retweets customer postings of these invoices, and yet others receive nothing. I can buy a car of the future on my phone, but can’t get a receipt for an add-on purchase?

How many would feel comfortable buying five iPhones and having no record of the purchase other than a promise of a receipt that never comes and a line item on your credit card statement that you made a $5000 charge to Apple?

Yes, if need be, you can certainly make your case to a helpful Tesla customer service rep. down the road, but why jump through hoops to get something so basic to any electronic transaction. Tesla is a tech company after all - just failing at some business fundamentals.

crmedved | 17 april 2019

Yeah... I feel like their FSD activation is manual or something for some reason. I received it during the Feb 28 pricing change... Yesterday, my option to buy it finally disappeared from my account... so I guess I "have" it.... not listed in car details though. So weird. I guess I went from the "hey add FSD to this guy's account" queue to the "hey, show the customer they have FSD" queue.

casun | 17 april 2019

you were told that receipts would be available at the end of the month. why did you email again, nine days later? why can’t you wait until the end of the month?

moff | 17 april 2019

@stinnett: no relation to the Grand Moff Tarkin :) but I did name my white M3 TK-421

TAC | 17 april 2019

In the same boat. Been trying to get a receipt for almost 3 weeks now. I keep getting passed onto dif departments. Last I heard was a configuration needed to be printed at my service center. Now they passed it onto someone else “escalated” and i have not hear back yet. These elusive receipts seem to not exist. It does show in my web config though.

wiboater4 | 18 april 2019

My MVP shows everything, and it also shows the EAP and FSD in my vehicle options link under my account manage page So is it on your MVP Carl?

RedPillSucks | 18 april 2019

Carl, are you not able to get the motor vehicle purchase agreement when you click on "Manage", then "View" ?

crmedved | 18 april 2019

Uh. If you buy FSD after you purchase your car, I see no reason why it would be on the MVPA. It's a contract both you and Tesla signed... they can't just change it lol.

Carl Thompson | 22 april 2019

Still no response from Tesla even though I've sent two more emails asking for a response.

Still not showing up in my account and still no receipt.

@casun:
you were told that receipts would be available at the end of the month. why did you email again, nine days later? why can’t you wait until the end of the month?"

I did wait. It is now a _different_ month. In a week it will be yet _another_ month.

@RedPillSucks:
"Carl, are you not able to get the motor vehicle purchase agreement when you click on "Manage", then 'View' ?"

I would imagine that would show me the purchase agreement from when I bought the car and not include purchases made a year later.

I can't say for sure because when I click that link nothing comes up... Just a blank page.

casun | 22 april 2019

you can expect to receive your reciept by the second tuesday of next week.