Forums

I hope you won't require body shop repairs

I hope you won't require body shop repairs

On April 26th a motorcyclist rear-ended my nearly new Model 3. It seems to be taking forever to get the parts and for the body shop to get the car fixed. Yesterday, I visited the body shop to see my car and it seemed like there about 50 Tesla's waiting to be repaired. My car was torn apart

metzger.bob | 17 mei 2019

It seemed like a minor accident with a blown tire and a rear quarter panel, The bill is up to $10,000 and I'm told it will be another 2 weeks for the repair to be completed. I just hope others don't have to endure this long wait to get their car back. I'm now missing my flash drive and other things. Hard to know who to blame. The towing company or the Tesla approved body shop.

kgkiran | 17 mei 2019

In a similar boat. Any body shop repairs recommendations in the SF trivially (Dublin, Pleasanton, San Ramon, Livermore)

Lonestar10_1999 | 17 mei 2019

These expensive M3 repairs are going to have a long lasting impact on the price of automobile insurance.

Magic 8 Ball | 17 mei 2019

Someone posted a comparison chart and showed the repairs on the 3 are similar to other cars in the same class. The goal is to show that, even if repairs cost more (not sayn' they do), the 3 will be in few accidents and or require a smaller overall compensation (injuries are expensive) than the competition.

The concept of TESLA insurance is banking they can offer cheaper rates because of the reduced overall liability.

apodbdrs | 17 mei 2019

A couple of comments:
1.It is not easy or cheap to become TESLA certified and buy the special tools
2 Did you look at the work order, there are probably other parts being replaced as well painting to match your car
3/ Otainting parts is still an issue, if the car can be driven it is better to have the parts ordered before taking the car in for work.

greg | 17 mei 2019

Fact is making the safest cars in the world, costs more than an extra 50 cents a vehicle. If thats all it took then every other vehicle on the planet would just as safe as your Tesla provably is.

But - if you want the safest [or even just a safer] car, you will end up paying for it one way or the other.

Strong cars are always harder to fix - once they've been bent.

Ask anyone if who has survived an "unsurvivable" crash in a Tesla, that would likely have killed them in any other car, who I'd point out - often walked away with minor injuries - and see if they think their cars safety was over engineered or "overpriced".

Agree some of the repairs are over the top, but have you seen the repair bill on some of the European cars folks like to compare Teslas too - they're not cheap to fix either.

And those manufacturers are usually are just as restrictive about parts and availability and who can repair the cars and also all the special tools, glues and techniques required to work on the cars as Tesla is with theirs.

For good reason.

I've walked through the local Porsche dealers repair centre, the money that they have tied up in parts, skills and equipment - all to fix up customers bent up Porsche cars. Let alone paint them back up to match the existing paint job when the metal stuff is all sorted. Has to be seen to be believed.

You can see the dollars and time that one of those repairs takes. I've seen them take months to rebuild a pretty wrecked Porsche - that someone survived being in the wreck. So yeah, its something not unique to Tesla.

And thats why you have insurance to cover you for that situation.

But at least I see Tesla making moves to rectify the issues on their side (like parts distribution and pre-positioning parts). I bet my Tesla will get cheaper and easier to fix over time. I doubt any Porsche or similar European car will do likewise - anytime soon - if ever.