Forums

What All Do You Get From Upgrading EAP to FSD?

What All Do You Get From Upgrading EAP to FSD?

I currently have EAP and been debating for a while about upgrading to FSD, especially now that its only $3000 for a limited time but what all more would I get? I know I would get the ability for my car to drive itself completely, recognize traffic lights, road signs, and the HW3 computer upgrade but is that all I would gain? Having EAP already gives you summon and auto-park, lane change, navigate on autopilot, and auto-steer.

Passion2Fly | 5 augustus 2019

Yeah, for EAP owners it might not give you a whole lot more except for the HW3 which might improve the EAP functions as well... I’m still debating...

Joshan | 5 augustus 2019

The guarantee any hardware you will need for FSD will be free (for now).

NoaP on city streets (in the future)

sethlsams | 5 augustus 2019

Has anybody compared the HW2 Model 3s against the HW3s and seen any difference in the current functions?

Joshan | 5 augustus 2019

there is not yet, but there will be with the Aug 16th release (so I hear). Supposedly V10 will start to take advantage of HW3.

eplaskett | 5 augustus 2019

I went ahead and paid the $3,000 under the assumption that HW3 would eventually deliver significantly better EAP performance on the highway. FSD on city streets would be really cool but I doubt I would actually make much use of it. Improved highway EAP does interest me greatly, however, and the Autonomy Day demonstration convinced me that HW3 would indeed help in that regard. I might well be wrong, but I plan on keeping the car for a very long time, so I figured I might as well future proof it.

rob | 5 augustus 2019

@eplaskett
I made the FSD purchase about a week ago for all the same reasons.

jrzapata | 5 augustus 2019

Good article on this
https://www.forbes.com/sites/bradtempleton/2019/07/31/your-guide-to-deci...
I originally purchased EAP but decided to upgrade to FSD mostly because of the computer upgrade. currently you would not get any immediate benefit from the upgrade.you will even get Smart Summon soon.

howard | 5 augustus 2019

jrzapata "I originally purchased EAP but decided to upgrade to FSD mostly because of the computer upgrade."

+1

Techy James | 5 augustus 2019

Currently you get 0 benefits from FSD over EAP. The benefits in the future you can expect to get:
1) No additional cost to upgrade AP 2.5 Hardware to AP 3.0 Hardware.
2) Access to FSD features as they are release, I image the possibility first of no input required for limited access road driving.
3) No additional worries as FSD features are release about future price increases for FSD.
4) Maybe in 3+ years the possibility of adding your car to the Robo-Taxi fleet for residual income.

The 2 major unknowns with FSD. First when can we expect government approval for FSD, this will likely vary depending where you live. The second unknown is what if government requires additional hardware upgrades before approving FSD who pays for the required upgrades. These could range from any or combination of the following items:
1) Second Front Radar and/or rear radar.
2) Higher Resolution, wider angle, or additional Camera's.
3) Adding LIDAR sensors to car in addition to existing sensors.

SalisburySam | 5 augustus 2019

@Techy James, I think you’ve covered the basics for the OP. There may be more:

1- we don’t know what insurers are going to do, if anything, about FSD, but their actuaries will be looking at this closely I would think.
2- at the very least I would imagine insurers would add extra-cost riders to policies for using a vehicle for hire even without FSD.
3- liability is now presumed to rest with the driver/owner of a vehicle for infractions that vehicle may commit or cause. With FSD, there is a chance some of that liability could shift to the manufacturer. Court cases will determine the final outcome on this over time.

Interesting times coming for certain.

Joshan | 5 augustus 2019

@sam I think those are the exact reasons Tesla is getting into the insurance business. To remove those hurdles in the future, while other vehicles are trying to figure those questions out.

lilbean | 5 augustus 2019

Just a little bit poorer.

Magic 8 Ball | 5 augustus 2019

Your life will get richer.

andy.connor.e | 5 augustus 2019

Ya i have to imagine FSD will only make a real difference to insurance companies if its Tesla insurance.

rob | 5 augustus 2019

@Joshan
You think Tesla would have any advantage over other insurers due to the fact that Tesla would know more about driving habits of the owners? There should be all kinds of data available to Tesla that other insurers wouldn't have access to.

Joshan | 5 augustus 2019

ABSOLUTELY! its like the thing all these other insurance companies want you to plug into your car to get info on your driving habits. Tesla already has that :)

If I recall correctly, Elon also stated rates would be cheaper for people who use EAP/FSD more.

vmulla | 5 augustus 2019

I have not hit the buy button yet.

For FSD to be used I need 3 peices to fall in place - Tech (low risk)
Legislation (high risk)
Insurance (moderate risk)

Because of the legislation peice I do not expect to see FSD in my area - Virgina is not FSD/Tesla friendly.

So if I get FSD, I'll pay for a chip that's likely going to be outdated by the time I can really use FSD. I'm not even properly future proofing my car. The only benefit is better processing speed. That said, EAP functions were promised to run well on the existing chip, I expect that.

So, what are we getting?

Jrisasaint | 5 augustus 2019

Where do you see the price change? It still says $6,000.

@Jrisasaint if you only have Autopilot on your car then the upgrade to FSD is $6000 but if you have Enhanced Autopilot then you can upgrade right now to FSD for only $3000. If you do have EAP and it still says $6000, then just call up your local Tesla store for them to upgrade you at the promo price.

What I think would make me pull the trigger to upgrade to FSD from EAP is how much of a difference my current features would be from the HW2 to HW3. If its just minor, its not worth it. but if its a huge difference and makes everything close to perfect, then I would get it.

Also, people who have FSD and have the HW3 computer upgrade, will they also get the "dojo" computer upgrade in the future that Elon said is the next big step computer chip for FSD?

PhillyGal | 5 augustus 2019

jrzapata "I originally purchased EAP but decided to upgrade to FSD mostly because of the computer upgrade."

+2

PhillyGal | 5 augustus 2019

+2

vmulla | 5 augustus 2019

@PhillyGal, @Howard, @JrZapata
The question is what is the updated vHW getting us? EAP was always promised to work with current HW.

Joshan | 5 augustus 2019

@vmulla nothing yet, but V10 will change that (or so it is hinted).

mikes | 5 augustus 2019

Contacted Tesla and asked them. You will get nothing right now! You may or may not get hardware 3.0! If current system is able to facilitate FSD, you will not get upgraded. As per Elon tweets a while back EAP would get enhanced summon but Tesla said that may not be the case anymore! With EAP you get to keep what you have now! Upgrading to FSD will get you such features as enhanced summon and???

Joshan | 5 augustus 2019

Don't listen to the entry level employees. Listen to Elon...

Ah dang that would be horrible if they don't upgrade everyone who got the upgrade from HW2 to HW3 especially everyone who bought it just for that upgrade

Joshan | 5 augustus 2019

they will, Elon already posted it on the internet for the world to see. He has even give a time they will start. Don't worry!

howard | 5 augustus 2019

vmulla, "The question is what is the updated vHW getting us? EAP was always promised to work with current HW."

FSD in my personal opinion is most certainly not going to happen without HW3. It has all but stagnated on HW2. I don't care about or hold out hope for FSD. Hoping HW3 just improves the basic functionality of TACC. I also hoped it helps hold the car's value but that was probably wishful thinking as well.

eplaskett | 5 augustus 2019

vmulla

The question is what is the updated vHW getting us? EAP was always promised to work with current HW.

---

Yes, this is why I didn't buy FSD back in March when it was offered as a $2,000 upgrade from EAP. However, after that deal went away, Tesla held their Autonomy Day demonstration. The things they showed were impressive enough that I became convinced that despite prior statements that 2.5 would be "enough" for EAP, 3.0 would likely improve it more.

On seeing the Autonomy Day demonstration, my first thought was, "Dang, if you'd shown me that a month ago, I would have bitten at $2,000, but I am not prepared to pay $6,000." The price cut last week was enough to win me over.

vmulla | 5 augustus 2019

Joshan | August 5, 2019
@vmulla nothing yet, but V10 will change that (or so it is hinted).
------

Spot on! So the real question that I was getting at is, what features can users reasonably expect V10 to bring.

I can think of
- Reacting to stop sign/stop light reaction.
- Navigating some intersections
- Auto lane changes in slow merge situations
- Parking in spots where there are no adjacent cars

I expect these features to be under beta, just like EAP with driver responsible for anything.

I expect the insurance rates for FSD Teslas to be much lower if the owner chooses Tesla insurance.

That's my take after considering the constraints of tech, insurance and legislation.

Now, the timeline for all that to happen is anyone's guess.

vmulla | 5 augustus 2019

@eplaskett,
I would recommend anyone considering the purchase to see the automony day presentation. That info plays a lot into my thoughts :)

Joshan | 5 augustus 2019

@vmiulla I think you pretty much nailed it. I am hoping it maybe goes a bit father and we see NoaP in city. But I have to assume that would be HW3 only. I actually tried to make a SC appt last week to see what they said about HW3 upgrades. he told me to try again in 2 months.

hokiegir1 | 5 augustus 2019

My reason for upgrading was that I expected after Smart/Advanced/Enhanced Summon (whatever it is this week), I think more items will be released under the FSD label -- and they will be excluded from the former EAP batch. They may not be *actual* self-driving features, but they will be similar convenience features to NoAP now, which I will likely want.

@hokiegir1 I thought they said that if you have EAP then you will be getting the enhanced summon feature no matter if you upgraded to the FSD or not

Joshan | 5 augustus 2019

@seth I think you missed the word "after"

hokiegir1 | 5 augustus 2019

+1 @Joshan -- @sethlsams - yes, Enhanced Summon will be an EAP feature, but I think that will be the last one released under that heading. Everything after that will be FSD-purchasers only (in my guess)

william | 5 augustus 2019

I like and agree with Techy James response above, but I'd add that in my case, I think FSD is the necessary and desired future direction of personal transportation, and by paying the $3K now I'm providing both a vote of confidence and financial support to the Tesla team working on this technology.

Resist | 5 augustus 2019

As others have said, you'll get the upgraded computer board. But I doubt regulators will approve FSD within the next 10 years. It's going to have to be perfect before they do so. And FSD will still not be able to navigate unmarked roads with the next few years.

M3phan | 5 augustus 2019

@sethlsams: “I know I would get the ability for my car to drive itself completely, recognize traffic lights, road signs, and the HW3 computer upgrade but is that all I would gain?”
Is that all?!?!!
; )
Totally worth it.

M3phan | 5 augustus 2019

Legislation around the country re. Self driving cars:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/as-self-driving-cars-com...

M3phan | 5 augustus 2019

I like how Virginia and Texas think about the issue… They allow self driving cars on public roads because quite simply there are no laws that exist that say they can’t… ; )

sethlsams | 6 augustus 2019

**INTERESTING UPDATE**

So, the biggest reason why I am thinking about upgrading to the FSD from EAP is to get the HW3 hardware which improves all my current features. Well I called up Tesla just out of curiosity for them to check out which computer hardware I had in my car assuming it would be the HW2 or HW2.5 because it came with EAP and they stopped EAP when they rolled out HW3. Come to find out I have a rare car that has EAP as well as the new HW3 hardware! Even the person as Tesla said they were shocked to my car had both because they only made one batch of cars with EAP and the HW3 which they told me is only about 400 cars! So now im really not sure I should pay for the upgrade because I will already have the HW3 improvements, summon (and Enhanced summon when it comes out), autopark, autosteer, navigate on autopilot, and ACC. The only thing I would gain is the full self driving.

Thoughts? Still think I should pay for the upgrade?

Joshan | 6 augustus 2019

@resist And FSD will still not be able to navigate unmarked roads with the next few years.

It navigates unmarked roads now with just AP.

Here is AP on a dirt road for you...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7eVqQsnj4U

attila.desy | 30 september 2019

My leasing will end after 3.5 years, which will be enough time to see how here in Switzerland the regulators will think about the features available by then. So then I can see if FSD option is worth or not. I hope it will and then I will happily pay the price. Like now, here the autosteer is limited, enhanced summon is not possible, and what else they think is not compatible with the old continent...anyhow go Tesla and lead the way :-)

tdwin2000 | 30 september 2019

I have EAP from my purchase back in August 2018. If I didn't have it I would buy the FSD now. However, to pay $3000 for something that may or may not materialize within the next few years....I'm not going to pay it now. I see the Smart Summon feature that is available now. Not that impressed as far as to how much trouble they had getting this feature rolled out to the public. I can't imagine what's going to be when they try to roll out FSD to the mass public. I don't think people are ready for that much technology. Not saying it isn't possible. Just saying many people are afraid of using Navigate on Autopilot. Can you imagine FSD? And, if it's ready to go in 2 years that's just 2 more years I had my money invested in the stock market to earn more.

Pepperidge | 30 september 2019

Hope