Forums

AP and NOA seem confused after latest series of updates

AP and NOA seem confused after latest series of updates

AP for me has taken a turn for the worse by waiting too late to start braking when coming up to cars in front then hitting the brakes and then deciding oh wait that's to much brake let off then back on it can't seem to make up its mind.

I drove a road last night that for the past year the car has done quite well but now with AP at 55 it slows way too much (42mph) in the corners then speeds back up like it can't figure out what to do.

Taking off from a red light it's almost like the Tesla goes oh crap that car started moving I better get going and accelerates too quickly jerking you back for no reason then letting off deciding it has caught up with the car in front. How efficient can that possibly be to race to get to speed then wait too late and slam on the brakes to stop at the next red light? It was a little slow on acceleration on the previous releases but they need to get the car rolling a few MPH before getting on the accelerator. I understand AP is only supposed to be used on the HWY but it has been a lot better around town than this.

NOA- Still can't seem to make up its mind what lane it would like to be in. Moves to the left then back to the right after a very short period of time. Not to mention turning on the signal starting to change lanes then getting spooked and jerking back then deciding oh ok it is clear and changes lanes again.

It would be great to be able to see why the car is making these bad decisions because I can't see any reason on the screen or my eyes to why it's driving so poorly.

I'm guessing driving this poorly on public roads is why others get mad at Tesla owners. I can only imagine them making comments like make up your mind or why are you slowing to 45mph in a 65 there is nothing around you.

HighlandPony | 30 september 2019

You can’t make all of the people happy all of the time. People were complaining before that the car would take off too slowly when the car in front started moving. What’s Tesla to do?

Are Tesla’s really driving less safely than other cars? The data says no.

TexasBob | 30 september 2019

@garretn I agree that we have seen degradation in EAP. There is a great deal more wobbling and over-correction in the lane-keeping, it is not compensating as well on sharp turns and on freeway interchanges, and I have seen more abrupt slowing, stopping, and accelerating. In my last two EAP trips (yesterday and this morning) I had to disengage the system ~6 times because of concerns about how it was driving (very unusual, I drive these routes frequently and almost never have to disengage). No longer "smooth as butter" and troubling on near collisions.

We just need to keep driving and disengage when necessary to push the data back to Tesla for the next round of machine learning. It is better in some respects but definitely backwards in other.

mazers | 30 september 2019

@OP, first of all, if you are complaining about how autopilot is functioning at red lights......I'm pretty sure that Tesla says that AP should only be used on highways. What is your setting for NOA - if it is 'mad max' then the lane changes are very frequent. I even decline them sometimes because it is too aggressive.

M-A-B-MCMLXXX | 30 september 2019

What is NOA?

Magic 8 Ball | 30 september 2019
M-A-B-MCMLXXX | 30 september 2019

Google: "Tesla NOA"

Ah. Thanks. I typically refer to the acronym list rather than google: https://teslatap.com/undocumented/acronyms-and-abbreviations/

Daryl | 30 september 2019

@mazers "@OP, first of all, if you are complaining about how autopilot is functioning at red lights......I'm pretty sure that Tesla says that AP should only be used on highways. "

His comments apply equally to stop and go traffic on the freeway, when the car in front starts to move.

garretn | 30 september 2019

@TexasBob - Not that this helps either of us but it's good to know it's not just my car having issues with the latest updates.

@mazers - As I said in my post I understand AP is only supposed to be used on the HWY but is it not reasonable to think that Tesla might be heading the right direction on the around town driving? It can be fast/aggressive and smooth. It was better prior to this release is all I was stating.

NOA - I have NOA set to Mad Max so when there is an opening the car will move over and take the lane otherwise, unfortunately, people for some reason like to close the gap once they see a turn signal come on. Good point I didn't try dropping it back one notch to see if that helps. Thanks. The fact it can't make up its mind on some of the lane changes and gets about a third of the way into the other lane and jerks back then barely gets completely back in the lane and then does the lane change in any mode doesn't seem right. I really don't think Tesla intended Mad Max mode to just switch lanes just because they are empty and slow down to 45 for no reason (that we can see) when AP is set to 65-70mph.

An idea may be to light up the car or object showing us why it made the decision to abort the lane change or all the sudden slow down? Like when the Emergency braking alert comes on it shows the car in RED.