Forums

Unlocking of charger port

Unlocking of charger port

Silly question perhaps but I am going to ask anyways....

I recently got home charging and I've noticed that when I walk up to the car to leave, the charge port is locked and I can't remove it until I open a door, pop the trunk ect...

I assumed it would unlock when the car notices my paired phone close by but it never does.

Normal? A setting I need to change?

1agkirk2 | 9 november 2019

Normal. Car has to be awakened by opening of a door or trunk.

raqball | 9 november 2019

1agkirk2 | November 9, 2019
Normal. Car has to be awakened by opening of a door or trunk.
----------------------
Cool, thanks....

jimglas | 9 november 2019

You can also unlock the car from the App

jimglas | November 9, 2019
You can also unlock the car from the App
----------------------------
Honestly had not thought about that.. I'll start doing that as it's a bit of a pain to pop trunk or pop rear door open..

jd4714 | 9 november 2019

You can also just slightly depress a door handle without opening it to wake the car.

bp | 9 november 2019

@jd4714 I’ve used the door handle trick. It requires a subtle touch, but works. Just opening the app does as well - you don’t actually have to unlock, just “wake” the car.

Bighorn | 9 november 2019

It used to require that you pull a handle to wake the car, but they changed the programming to allow the charge port to unlock without unlocking the doors/pulling a handle. It can be delayed depending on how asleep the car is.

Spartan24 | 9 november 2019

Happens to me too but sometimes the behavior is different and I’m not catching the rhyme and reason...

gballant4570 | 9 november 2019

Using the app only unlocks the cable for a short time. If I unlock it from my living room, it is once again locked when I get out to the barn. So I just wait until I am in the barn, then unlock.

behavenet | 9 november 2019

Wish/Suggestion:
Hey Google, unlock the charging cable.

jallred | 9 november 2019

Touching drivers side rear door handle unlocks charging port. Just a touch.

Would be nice if pushing the button on the charge nozzle (whatever it's called) would instantly wake the car and it looked for phone connection then released it's death grip...

Either way, not a big deal but figured I'd ask. Thanks for all the responses..

Bighorn | 10 november 2019

@raq
The latency undoubtedly has to do with reducing vampire drain. The S has a couple levels of background "wakefulness" that determines how fast it responds to inputs. Tradeoffs.

jallred | 10 november 2019

I was always annoyed about having to get my phone out to unlock the adapter or trying to pull it out real quick before it relooked. But touching the door handle works flawlessly. Undo the nozzle, put it away, touch door handle and then pull adapter.

raqball | 10 november 2019

Bighorn | November 10, 2019
@raq
The latency undoubtedly has to do with reducing vampire drain. The S has a couple levels of background "wakefulness" that determines how fast it responds to inputs. Tradeoffs.
----------------------------------------
Makes sense.. I am sure there is a completely valid reason why it behaves the way it does. Not an issue really just didn't know if mine was behaving normal. It appears it is so all good.. I'll unlock from phone or tap door handle in the future..

FISHEV | 10 november 2019

"I am sure there is a completely valid reason why it behaves the way it does."@raqball

I'm guessing protecting it from people disconnecting it. Was at the EVgo with Bolt and Ford e-Max. The Bolt was done charging and we were able to unplug him so e-Max could charge. Is yours still charging? Is it locked while charging but unlocks when charging is done? If so, you could program to stop charging at set time and it would be unlocked or do a "Stop Charging" from the phone before going to car if it unlocks when not charging.

The point is to prevent theft of the adapter. You can disconnect the charger at any time. You just can't take the adapter out.

jonabramson | 10 november 2019

Not only to prevent adapter theft. Also to make sure some random person doesn't unplug you when using a charger too.

FISHEV | 10 november 2019

"Also to make sure some random person doesn't unplug you when using a charger too."@jonaabramson

They can just turn off the public charger at the screen if they want to unplug you or take your stuff assuming it unlocks when charging is done. The Bolt we just unplugged. Nothing to steal but we were able to unplug when the charger went off. I'm just glad they don't know how much the Tesla Chademo adapter costs ($400) as they can walk off with that anytime.

The J1772 adapter has no locking mechanism. The locking mechanism is in the car, not the adapter.

At any time you can unplug a J1772 charger from the Tesla adapter. It is done almost daily where I work so we can share a charger.

When the charging stops (by unplugging the charger) there is a brief moment that you can unplug the adapter as well. But if you don't do it exactly right it will relook the adapter.

I wish that there was an option to keep the adapter locked always. The way it stands now, someone can steal my adapter at any time by plugging the charger in and in one movement removing the charger and the adapter. Like I said, it is tricky, but it can be done.

If you unplug the charger, leaving the adapter in, the adapter will remain locked in the car. At that point, if you have your phone in your pocket, you can lightly touch the driver's side rear door handle and the adapter is unlocked.

Actually, a self correction. If you don't have your phone with you then the adapter will never unlock. So it works as I would have hoped. You can unplug the charger, but you can't take the adapter out without a key (phone).

@jallred
Glad you figured it out. Nobody can unplug a locked Tesla.

You can unplug a J1772 charger from the adapter at any time.
You can't unplug the adapter or a Tesla charger.

Right.

Paid parking at BWI airport has EV parking with 4 spots sharing 2 chargers. Teslas leave the adapters in and the staff there will rotate the chargers around. You can also tell them when you are coming home and they will make sure you are plugged in for a good part of the day before you arrive.

It's very nice, but it only can work with adapters.

Someone at the Denver airport parking unplugged my S shortly after I plugged in and I had to communicate with the parking lot folks from abroad to get plugged back in so I could get home. In Santa Barbara last month, someone left a note asking that I plug them in when I was done charging. I wonder if people would automatically do that if you left your charge port open? I guess the newer cars would have an issue with the charge port auto-closing, in that instance. I bet the Kona doesn't autoclose:)

Atoms | 10 november 2019

July 2018 this worked properly and after a few software updates it never worked properly again. Email Tesla and let them know the magic is not there and they can make it return.

Atoms | 10 november 2019

July 2018 this worked properly and after a few software updates it never worked properly again. Email Tesla and let them know the magic is not there and they can make it return.