Forums

Should model 3 have crosswind software

Should model 3 have crosswind software

3 weeks ago there was lots of wind in the bay area and it was tossing my model 3. I think Elon should think about having crosswind software add it to the car. What do you think

cbaltoda | 13 november 2019

Do you think model 3 should come with cross wind software

Xerogas | 13 november 2019

@cbaltoda: ummm, sure, I guess?

While they’re at it, they should add submarine software, earthquake software, volcano software, and pizza software.

And before FEESHICE weighs in, yes, we know Subaru has had the best cross-wind software for years, and Tesla just needs to get on board.

jeremynordland | 13 november 2019

Is this really a thing? Do other manufacturers have such a thing? How would it work?

vmulla | 14 november 2019

The crosswind hardware is so good that the software would be redundant :)

Heavy car for its size
Low profile
Low center of gravity
Curvaceous body

But wait...if you set AP the car will maintain its lane no matter what the outside wind conditions are, that is crosswind software. No? :)

Earl and Nagin ... | 14 november 2019

A couple of weeks ago, we were experiencing very winds (~30 mph) and strong crosswinds (up to 60 mph). Our Model 3 handled them on autopilot with hardly a hint of buffeting. I think they already have it.

Joshan | 14 november 2019

what is crosswind software? I even tried googling it. Did you just make this up?

jimglas | 14 november 2019

I want zombiemode first

sjm4660 | 14 november 2019

Model 3 already has 'crosswind software' !
It's called AutoPilot.
No matter how windy on the Dumbarton bridge, AP keeps a better line that I can without AP

CharleyBC | 14 november 2019

I'm not clear what "crosswind software" would do that we don't already have.

As others said above, the car is so stable and sleek that I scarcely feel a high wind, very much in contrast to my former SUV. And when Autosteer is engaged, it happily keeps up with any wind-induced drift, and keeps the car in its lane.

So to me, we already have crosswind software.

aptwo | 14 november 2019

@Xerogas, haha

Magic 8 Ball | 14 november 2019

Car already has breaking wind software, so why not?

neezer | 14 november 2019

Better to spend the effort to include Zombie detection, where it'll differentiate them from non-turned people, and then not brake for them, squishing them softly. Rick Grimes would be proud of Elon if so.

TeslaTap.com | 14 november 2019

I think this wins the strangest thread of the month award! I have no clue what software is supposed to do with a crosswind.

I guess if the car is picked up by a tornado, it can display a warning - "No traction available. Please carefully set the car back down to earth".

lbowroom | 14 november 2019

Do you want that to be Active-Crosswind Protection (ACP), or Crosswind Protection Warning (CPW)

jordanrichard | 14 november 2019

OMG, really. People think this is real? There is nothing you can do about wind, no matter which direction it is coming from. What do you expect the car to do different in a head wind, cross wind, etc....?

lbowroom | 14 november 2019

I was being sarcastic.... too real?

CharleyBC | 14 november 2019

@TeslaTap: "I think this wins the strangest thread of the month award! I have no clue what software is supposed to do with a crosswind.

I guess if the car is picked up by a tornado, it can display a warning - "No traction available. Please carefully set the car back down to earth"."

Cut it out! You just made me laugh out loud at my office, and now those around me are wondering what's going on.

samathw | 14 november 2019

How about OTA software to enable fly mode for auto-pilot cars? LoL

M3phan | 14 november 2019

Model 3 getting “tossed around“ by wind? Come on, unless it’s a tornado, AP keeps the car stable.

borne.by.wind | 15 november 2019

If the Gen 2 Roadster does hover, such crosswind correcting software would be useful. My 3 handles 50 mph crosswinds fine other than a little more wind noise that could be reduced by active noise cancelation.

M3phan | 15 november 2019

New feature: Breaking Wind Mode.

Varricks | 18 november 2019

No cause for concern about crosswind threats. When it comes up, PG&E turns off the power and we remain parked in case we have to get somewhere really important.

And it's not only EVs. Gasoline is pumped with electricity, too.

"Time is ripe for a palace revolution"

msmith55 | 18 november 2019

Not sure about cross wind but how about wind speed? It does affect miles, and knowing you true wind speed would help and provide better mileage estimates.