Forums

Model 3 Long range after 2 months

Model 3 Long range after 2 months

After 2 months of having my car, I can only get 305 miles on a full charge. Is that normal this fast?

Tronguy | 12 december 2019

The SO and I run a M3 RWD LR around. In no particular order:
1. Welcome to winter; especially on shorter trips, W-hr/mile is in the 300's, not the 200's. Longer trips are better, but the interior air temp does impact the range some. If you can, try to set the cabin air temp to something livable about a half-hour before you leave (that'll help the short trips); for cold days, set the seat heaters to medium and reduce the cabin temp to 64 or something.
2. Over the year and two months we've had the car, range estimates started around 310, peaked around 320 or so (after one notable update), and is back to 314 or so. Further, at one point was seeing 305 or so for "full range" (figured by taking the 90% charge and dividing by 0.9). We then went on a 2000-mile, 2-week vacation, where the charge was dropping to 10% or so before getting supercharged back up. Range went up to 320 and has been slowly decaying back down.
Point: The range is an estimate delivered by the battery management system to the computer that runs the car. People do see variations in this estimate of around +-10 miles or so.
3. "Full charge"... Tesla says and, as a EE I concur, that charging to 100% on a regular basis is a bad idea. There are wear-out mechanisms associated with 100% charges. Further, one loses regen braking when at a full charge, at least for the first dozen miles or so. Something 90% or less is recommended for day-to-day charging. (And you'll get an infinite number of arguments on this forum about what percentage is best.)
Good luck!

ToansModel3 | 12 december 2019

I normally charge at 80 % but since the update I wanted to see if tesla increased our range to 320 so I did a full charge but only got max of 305. I kinda feel like I got robbed :< 310 should be the normal full charge losing 5 miles now in 2 months is crap

FWIW, on that 2000 mile trip. Day we left, did a 100% charge and got 305 or so. Several days, several supercharger stops, and a 5-day tourist city (on foot, mainly), did another 100% charge. Got 320.
Dunno, but my data, such as it is, seems to show that deep discharge cycles and maybe just driving the blame thing around a lot increased the max charge.
Since the trip last October, the "full charge" number (dividing our 90% charge range by 0.9) has been slowly drifting back down; now it's sitting at 314.
So, no offense, don't be too sure that you're actually at 305. Might just be a bunch of short trips and consistent charging back to 80%. Throw a longish trip in there?
On the other hand.. The car's still under warranty. It's not unusual to get a 10 mile drop in range from the initial full charge in the first six months or so, then it would steady out. But get Tesla's comment on the subject. Maybe they'll blow you off; maybe they won't. Remote diagnostics might turn up something.

Excuse me: I don't think that the "max charge" really changed. I think that the _range_ _estimate_ changed, which is a different kettle of fish altogether.

-TheJohn- | 12 december 2019

Tronguy is totally right imho and here's why.
A week+ ago someone posted an interaction they had with a Tesla Tech type about their concerns regarding battery and purported range type problems just like yours. I liked what they said and to paraphrase.. The range estimate looks at things such as your wheel type and that's a pretty fixed cost but it takes into account the driving habits of the owner so if you use a ton of watts/mile then it'll be reflected in said number/guesstimate. There was no "it uses the last 124 miles/km" to calibrate btw so wtf knows.

To be frank I don't know if that's just blowing smoke up asses. Seems more than possible though?
Hmm lets use my anecdotal numbers to look at the idea.
I've a lifetime (22k miles) Watt/mile of 253 on our LR 19". It's currently telling me it's got 270 miles of charge at 90% soc which should mean I'd get 297 at 100%.
253 Watt/Hr is a bit more than the 241 Watt/Hr I believe one needs to hit to achieve EPA on the LR yes? It's 4.979% more btw.
Back to our 297 M range and let's multiply it by said 4.979% and we get 311.8 which is well within the phew not so bad territory but definitely not 325 land.

My math is good, are my suppositions?

Fuzzball | 12 december 2019

After gazillion similar posts, if range hasnt deteriorated by over 10pct, and not associated with cold weather, we are wasting time. Just change your display to pct and enjoy the car like other experienced owners. Only noons not yet familar with factors that impact actual range, energy consumption to simple estimation errors split hair over minor variations.

vmulla | 12 december 2019

Your car is fine.

Please read the info from Tesla: https://forums.tesla.com/forum/forums/letter-about-range-tesla

vmulla | 12 december 2019

Use the info in this thread to understand that your car is well within the normal range:
https://forums.tesla.com/forum/forums/only-lr-rwd-owners-what-your-estim...

Keep in mind that weather, software versions have changed over time - they all play a part in the number (read the link I sent earlier)
Also, your car is probably AWD, so the numbers from the previous the thread don't correlate directly, some adjustment are necessary.

robert rogus | 13 december 2019

Some cars, like mine, apparently never got the 325 range, despite all the software upgrades. May, 2018 LR 18” wheels. I have charged to 100% several times for road trips and it usually shows 305 miles at 100%. I think it’s more likely range computer error rather than battery degradation, but it’s sort of impossible to know for sure.

SalisburySam | 13 december 2019

Datapoint: my 06/18-built LR RWD shows 321-322 at 100% charge. RWD, 18” Aeros, firmware v40.2.1.

stingray.don | 13 december 2019

305 miles on the estimator is nothing to be concerned about. Mine varies on any given day between 302 and 311. The estimate is determined by Tesla’s algorithm which includes many factors including temperature. It is not a measure of battery health.