Forums

V3 Charger

V3 Charger

I was in Hawthorne the other day with my late 2019 P3D- and swang by the SuperCharging station next to the design studio for the V3 charging experience. Someone was there first with an older model S. He didn't know his car couldn't take advantage of the faster charging rate. He was unwilling to move to another stall - understandably so since many of the stations there were either closed or nonoperational - so I charged my M3 in one of the regular stall at ~115 KWh rate. When I first pulled in to the station, I had ~90 mile range remaining. By the time the V3 stall was freed up, I was up to ~ 190 mile range.

My wife and kid were both in the car and my kid was full of anticipation to witness the magic of much faster charging rate after I plug in my M3 into the V3 charging stall....

After a minute of silence, the display start showing the charging progress... 10KWh, 15KWh... 80KWh.... and then, a whopping 89KWh and remained there for the remainder of my session. What the... Where is that V3 magic?

Is the V3 charger at Hawthorne not working? Does it charge at 250KWh only if the battery is below a certain percentage? Has anyone else been to the V3 charger at Hawthorne lately? What was your experience? Finally, does anyone has any theory on why my M3 was not charging anywhere close to the 250KWh peak rate?

Mooseman | 1 januari 2020

Yup, you only get the full 250 kW at a low SoC, see here: https://www.reddit.com/r/teslamotors/comments/ayaa6g/here_is_my_supercha...

M3phan | 1 januari 2020

Did you walk over to the Old S owner and kindly inform him of why his car wouldn’t be fit and to move to one of the other chargers so your car could benefit?
That he didn’t move makes him a douche.

zerogravitydrgn | 1 januari 2020

I connected to one with 18% and got 211kW for a period of time. Even though it can’t sustain it, it is a great upgrade. I only needed 50 miles to make it to my destination so was back on the road in a few minutes.

M3phan | 1 januari 2020

wouldn’t be fit...wouldn’t benefit
(Having to correct my post takes the bite out of my last sentence...)

syclone | 1 januari 2020

@ksusweep: Wow! I learned a new word. SWANG. Is that the past plu-perfect of swing or swung? :-)

Bighorn | 1 januari 2020

Super basic issue of the charging curve. Lots of published examples.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/insideevs.com/news/356710/tesla-model-3-tes...