Forums

Charging with 110V vs 220/240 volt

Charging with 110V vs 220/240 volt

lenmcw2 | 7 januari 2020

Now using 110V regular outlet which provides 4 miles per hour charging. What approx. would mph be if installing 220/240V.

Rikki-Tikki-Tavi | 7 januari 2020

around 30 miles in hour

Sgwebb.us | 7 januari 2020

You would get 20+ miles per charge. However, I am also charging using 110V,

stingray.don | 7 januari 2020

30 MPH with NEMA 14-50 and gen 2 mobile charger

pnagy | 7 januari 2020

I use 6-50 plug and my house wiring for that plug is designed for 40A so I set the Tesla Wall Connector to 32A via tiny rotary switch as per operating manual. It shows that it's charging at 34MPH. So in theory it would charge my SR+ battery from 0% to 100% in 7.35 hours which is pretty good.

Peter

Joho.keith | 7 januari 2020

This was discussed quite a bit in the early days of the model S. 110V is a few percentage points less efficient than 220V. If 110V works for you, you probably don’t drive too many miles so the cost for the electrical work and wall charger may not make sense.

Tronguy | 7 januari 2020

@lenmcw: As you noted, you get 4 MoCpH or so with 120 VAC and the mobile connector that comes with the car. If you want to see data to make one's eyes bug out, then check out https://shop.tesla.com/product/gen-2-nema-adapters. As you can see, there's roughly eight adapters, two of which can do 120 VAC, six do 240 VAC, and there are a couple of third parties out there that sell adapters for some fairly funky 240 VAC-type sockets.
Finally, if you're willing to pay, there's the Tesla Wall Connector that one typically mounts in a garage or something.

First off, there's limits. The Lowest Number Wins when negotiating a charge rate. (And, yes, there really is a negotiation going on with computers/microcontrollers and all).
If you've got an SR/SR+/MR, then your max charging rate with 240 VAC will be limited to 32A because that's the limit of the rectifiers in the car. If you've got an LR or Performance, which have bigger batteries, Tesla's rigged the max AC current at 240 VAC to 48A.
That's the car. The mobile charging cable that you're likely using right now has a 240 VAC limit of 32A, come heck or high water. So, if you've managed to find a 240 VAC 50A outlet and you plug the Mobile Cable into it, 32A is what you're going to get.
If you've got the Tesla Wall Connector.. That thing can go up as high as the breaker/wire it's hooked up to. If you've got a M3 LR or P, you can get 48A (the max) with the TWC; if you've got the right version of a model S, you can get 80A, assuming you've installed 100A breakers, wire to fit, and have set the switches inside the TWC correctly.
Now, back to all those adapters. The general idea is that a particular NEMA socket has an amperage rating. That amperage rating has to match that of the breaker in your fuse box. However, by National Electrical Code, the maximum steady current one is allowed to draw from a given socket is 80% of the maximum. So, if you've got a 15A 120 VAC socket (NEMA5-15), that max current draw enforced by the adapter/Tesla will be 12A, which will give you that 4 MoCpH that you're seeing. If you happen to have a 20A breaker, 20A-capable wire, a NEMA5-20 socket, and the right adapter, you can boost that current to 16A, which'll give you 6 MoCpH.. Better.
There are people around here who happen to have electric driers that were installed in the house using a NEMA14-30 socket. That'll give one 24A at 240 VAC and, according to Tesla, 22 MoCpH. You get the idea.
As far as which to use, that depends upon how much one wishes to spend, where the house's breaker box lives, and how much spare capacity the breaker box and the house actually has.
I've seen houses with 100A service and 90% of the breaker locations used. Obviously, a place like that might be stuck with 120 VAC until the service is improved. My place, with relatively new construction, has 200A service with plenty of spare breaker locations, and was in the garage to boot, so putting in a 60A breaker and a TWC for the LR M3 was a no-brainer.
Finally, if you are thinking about a TWC, please note that there are several other vendors of TWC-like functions out there. The last time I looked they were all more expensive than a TWC for the same power levels, but I keep on getting ads by email and dead-tree for the things, so maybe prices are dropping.
Good luck!

Effopec | 7 januari 2020

The answer depends on the amperage of the connection. I have a 220V outlet in my garage, but only 20A. It gives me about 15 mph. If you have a 50-60A connection you can get closer to 50 mph.

Big_Ed | 7 januari 2020

If charging in your garage, check if you have a 20 amp outlet. If so, can get 8mph with NEMA 5-20 adapter. Not nearly as fast as 240v of course, but 30% faster than the NEMA 5-15 adapter that came standard with the car.

rehutton777 | 7 januari 2020

My NEMA 14-50 gives me a charging rate of 32-33 miles per hour of charging at 32 amps and 242 volts with the mobile charger.

in7 | 7 januari 2020

Currently, because of difficulty getting landlord to approve a better option, I'm using the Quick 220 unit which combines two different 120v outlets into a 240v outlet. Double the voltage, but not double the amps. I had been getting about 5 miles of range per hour when using a single 120v outlet, but now with the Quick 220 unit I'm getting 10 miles of range per hour. I called the sales guy at the website and discussed it with him before buying. I know it's still not one of the preferred methods of charging, but until I get something better going I can live with it.

Twochewy | 7 januari 2020

I get 44 MPH from my Tesla wall connector.

Frank99 | 7 januari 2020

Tesla has a great chart:
https://shop.tesla.com/product/nema-adapter-bundle

The NEMA numbers indicate the type of outlet - a 5-15 is the standard 120V household outlet in the USA, a 5-20 is a higher power version sometimes installed in garages/kitchens, the 6-15, 6-20, and 6-50 are three-prong 240V outlets not commonly used, the 10-30 is a 3-prong 240V outlet used for electric dryers/hot water heaters in older houses, the 14-30 and 14-50 are four-prong 240V outlets used for electric dryers/hot water heaters in newer houses. You can find diagrams for identifying them at:
https://www.stayonline.com/product-resources/nema-straight-blade-referen...

mrburke | 7 januari 2020

@Big_Ed - That would be more like 6 M.P.H. not 8.

Big_Ed | 7 januari 2020

@mrburke

I get 8.

Pg3ibew | 8 januari 2020

My take.
1. What can you afford, money wise?
2. What can you afford time wise? Because 110 is much slower than 240. If you choose to go 240, revert back to #1 and see what TYPE or BRAND of 240v charger do you want to intall.