Forums

12v burned up and now my car is a brick.

12v burned up and now my car is a brick.

Went out to my car last night, it was making some strange sounds not working well. Couldn’t get in through the drivers door, had to walk around the passenger side. It was making weird noises and there’s a very strong smell of sulfur like rotten eggs.This last about 15 minutes and then the car just seem to like give up the ghost and now it’s a break. It won’t move, I can’t get into it, I can’t unplug it from the charger, it’s basically dead to the world. Really shocked that this could happen, especially with no warning of any kind, what is going on with this why is this happening?

Lonestar10_1999 | 1 maart 2020

You will likely need a tow to the nearest SC

Magic 8 Ball | 1 maart 2020

First car?

GHammer | 1 maart 2020

Your battery did not burn up and your car is not bricked. Yes, your 12v battery is bad, make a service appt, they will most likely send a mobile tech to replace it.

Beware @FISHEV is evil and attempts make mountains out of molehills everything concerning Tesla. The 12V batteries on all cars are know to die. Go to any car dealership and they have a jump starter on wheels they cart up to brand new cars on the lot with dead batteries all the time. Anyone with any car experience would find it annoying at most but not shocking.

Xerogas | 1 maart 2020

Why is it that people’s first act is to post on these fora, rather than reach out to service?

Xerogas- I think folks want to know if the problem is one off or widespread. They also need to know if there is a quick fix to remediate the issue. I have no issue with folks asking for advice from the forum community. The forum is at its best when we help one another.

Reaching out for help or PSA is one thing but reaching out with a click bait drama headline is something completely different (I.E. trolling).

Reaching out for help or PSA is one thing but reaching out with a click bait drama headline is something completely different (I.E. trolling).

rxlawdude | 1 maart 2020

TEA Score 95%. Day before market opens.

ROTFLMAO

@FISHEV is now doing remote diagnosis based on an internet anecdote.

Beware @FISHEV is evil and not here to help those interested in being successful and enjoy the Model 3 Tesla and he latches onto outlier reports (not verified of course) to build anti Tesla rhetoric. He is anti-EV despite saying otherwise.

vmulla | 1 maart 2020

Any pics? Video?

Bighorn | 1 maart 2020

Burned and bricked have very specific meanings neither of which you described. Is curry your first language?

sheldon.mike1010 | 1 maart 2020

Most likely outcome is a mobile tech arrives at your home with a new 12V battery. Once it's in, everything should work.
Warranty replacement. Note that this is RARE

Passion2Fly | 1 maart 2020

My 12V battery was finally replaced... after 4 years and 35k miles... not bad! I replaced it as soon as the warning came up. Tesla insisted that the battery was good for 2-3 more weeks but I didn’t want to take any chances... $250.

curryme | 1 maart 2020

Thanks for the comments. Perhaps I was a little dramatic but it’s kinda big when your car is found in a cloud of hydrogen sulfide and it’s completely unresponsive. I do have service on its way, it will be covered under warranty, I’m sure Tesla will take care of this quickly. It’s a 2018 Model 3 Performance. No warning about the 12v system dying. Seems like it could have been dangerous.

rxlawdude | 1 maart 2020

"when your car is found in a cloud of hydrogen sulfide"

Really? Which analytical method did you use to conclude which gas it was?

rxlawdude | 1 maart 2020

And a cloud. How exactly did you determine that there was a "cloud?"

I'm asking seriously. Your OP is more than a "little dramatic."

Rxlawdude- I give the op the benefit of the doubt. Maybe he had a gas chromatograph on hand.

sheldon.mike1010 | 1 maart 2020

Maybe he smelt a gassy fog of rotten eggs. Could be pinto beans or H2S.

Atoms | 1 maart 2020

This can occur in any car. But Tesla is especially convenient that you can schedule service on your phone. It is easy enough to swap the battery. Wasting time posting such stuff on a support board unless you did not realize you can schedule service on your app.

Wilber | 1 maart 2020

C'mon folks. Cut Curryme a break! I would be dissapointed too if my M3 died with strange smells. Curryme is just trying to give us an idea of the circumstances, not some kind of scientific assay! Curryme - hope the mobile person gets is fixed ASAP!

d | 1 maart 2020

I love the model 3. Drives like a dream and accelerates like a bulllet!!!

@FISHEV Is evil and will use any excuse to antagonize Tesla enthusiasts.

lbowroom | 1 maart 2020

Cloud of H2S and leaking acid..... such vivid visuals, oh, the horror. Check the corners of your registration for sharp edges, you wouldn’t want to get a paper cut

Tronguy | 1 maart 2020

A dead battery isn't that unusual an occurrence. The most dramatic one of these I ran into some years back was when I got a call from my son's best friend's mom, asking me in a panic what to do, since her car wouldn't start.

I chugged over, noted no lights nor "click" with the starter, and popped the hood to see what was what. In this case, "what" turned out to be that nice, acrid odor of sulfuric acid and, after a bit of inspection, a cracked battery, complete with leaking electrolyte. Seeing as the car was in the garage and deciding that this wasn't such a great idea, the two of us undid the parking brake and pushed the car out into the driveway. I got out a hose and flushed the heck out of the general area, borrowed some minimal tools (they weren't car guys) and, carefully, got the busted battery out of the car and onto the driveway. And then flushed the engine compartment area a bit more.

If memory serves (this may have been some 20 years ago!) it wasn't that old a car, maybe two years. It's been a while, but I think she thanked me, called a cab, and her husband was going to go get a new battery and install same.

So: Dead lead-acid batteries happen, such is life :).

Xerogas | 1 maart 2020

@Lonestar10_1999: "Xerogas- I think folks want to know if the problem is one off or widespread."
------
I completely agree, when it comes to questions about rear view camera delays, music not playing, maybe even windows rolling down. But if my car locked me out, smells like sulfur, and is bricked, then I’m on the phone to roadside assistance within SECONDS.

Forums are slow, and a poor way to get help during an emergency. If your dog was locked in your car, would you post here *first*? It’s boggling.

spuzzz123 | 2 maart 2020

" But Tesla is especially convenient that you can schedule service on your phone."

Fishev: Been doing that for 50 years

Lol what an ass. Factually correct, but contextually, an ass. Actually probably closer to 100 year Fishass.

Magic 8 Ball | 2 maart 2020

Boggling that an evil entity like FISHEV aka EaglesPDX has been here for so many years bashing Tesla and Tesla enthusiasts.

FISHEV is evil.

Joshan | 2 maart 2020

Tesla doesn't make 12v batteries. They are a wearable part on any car and fail on all cars. Really not a big deal unless you are either an idiot or its your first car.

Replace it (for free) and move on with your life. I would tell the resident moron on this thread also, but he has no life.

coselectric | 2 maart 2020

Just read through some of the discussion. Wildly inaccurate thread title, please change it @OP. When I read the title I imagined a Model 3 containing the charred remains of a 12V battery and a vehicle that is now permanently non-functional (the correct modern definition of "bricked").

Can't tell you how many times I've replaced a 12V battery in vehicles I've owned. And alternators. And starters / starter solenoids. At least we don't have those last two topics to worry about.

M3D | 2 maart 2020

I offer a free brick removal service and can arrange for it to be towed away at no cost :)

lbowroom | 2 maart 2020

"You talk to a person. You discuss the issue. You pick a day/time that works for you."

Goes like this for me. Call the dealership, receptionist answers and directs my call to service. Service answers, they can't diagnose anything over the phone, they set up and appointment, explain their loaner car policy. I show up on appointment day, they either have or don't have a loaner. I drive away. They call later and tell me the car needs parts, those parts either arrive that day from another location, or 2 weeks from now. I go back and get my car and they call me again when the parts come in and I do the thing all over again. I feel so pampered.

wisniewsk | 16 maart 2020

This happened to me Saturday. The tow would be about 125 miles but I am waiting to see if a service tech will come to my house. No warning at all.

bjrosen | 16 maart 2020

What is wrong with all of you children? Why are you jumping on Curryme? I'm sick of the junior high cafeteria behavior. When someone reports a problem either respond in a helpful manner or don't respond at all.

Dead batteries don't normally emit rotten egg smells that's indicative of hydrogen sulfide. I've replaced at least a dozen batteries in my life and there has never been a smell, they just ceased to function. On the other hand many years ago someone I knew had his battery explode, a shorted battery will produce hydrogen sulfide and that's an explosive gas. This is a serious failure, it's probably just confined to the battery but that doesn't make it less serious.

lbowroom | 16 maart 2020

2 weeks and no follow up..... guess it blew up and killed him

WW_spb | 16 maart 2020

RIP
Also love how Fish's post flagged away

lbowroom | 16 maart 2020

Keep telling that story, it’s working

lbowroom | 16 maart 2020

Maybe if a few other users we’ve never heard of chimed in to say the same thing I’ll feel guilty and stop

lbowroom | 16 maart 2020

You’ve caused more chaos and suffering on this forum with your endless misinformation campaign than anyone ever.

lbowroom | 16 maart 2020

Would love it if you went out in a blaze of glory like the personality mabuck. I guess he wasn’t effective enough to stay employed.

howard | 16 maart 2020

bjrosen
What is wrong with all of you children? Why are you jumping on Curryme? I'm sick of the junior high cafeteria behavior. When someone reports a problem either respond in a helpful manner or don't respond at all.

+1 they just can’t help themselves.

lbowroom | 16 maart 2020

True, we’re not professionals

Magic 8 Ball | 16 maart 2020

If the OP was a professional they would be on Broadway.

lbowroom | 16 maart 2020

Anytime I lay into fish, someone pops up with suppressing fire with the aim of pulling attention away. Never fails

lbowroom | 16 maart 2020

Howard initially loved one pedal driving, now it’s only ho hum, nothing to write home about (you’re welcome)

Howard and Fish align with their hatred of Tesla fanbois. So easy to SMACKDOWN both of them with facts but I have never seen either of them use a fact to try and take down a fanboi.

WW_spb | 16 maart 2020

On the bright side Buck and Maxxer exposed themselves as Fish lackeys.

howard | 16 maart 2020

A true fanboi never accepts a fact that casts shade on Tesla. You know, defection, denial and the almighty put down that has nothing relative to the point being made is the usual rebuttal. Then there are those that simply disappear when confronted with a fact that they can not reconcile. I would never expect less from the gang. Besides it is incredibly entertaining to say the least. Predictable it is.

Another thing howard and fish have in common is they are quick to adopt conspiracy theories about 'fanbois'. The paranoid think everything is predictable because they think everything is against them.

WW_spb | 16 maart 2020

Must agree Howard is predictable

Pages