Forums

2 year brake fluid check

2 year brake fluid check

Anyone know if the recommended 2 year maintenance (break fluid check) on the model 3 can be done by mobile service?

minervo.florida | 27 maart 2020

Probably not.

minervo.florida | 27 maart 2020

They surely can check it but changing it is still recommended every 2 years due to moisture absorbtion and probably not done by mobile

PS

Brake fluid.

Magic 8 Ball | 27 maart 2020

They replaced the replace with check, if it checks fine no need to replace.

jamespompi | 27 maart 2020

You can get test strips online and check it yourself very easily.

Lorenzryanc | 27 maart 2020

yea. $10 to test yourself.

p4594spa | 27 maart 2020

The check is to see if dissolved water is up to 2%.. If not, ,the brake fluid is ok. You can also by break fluid testers on Amazon for less than $20

p4594spa | 27 maart 2020

The check is to see if dissolved water is up to 2%.. If not, ,the brake fluid is ok. You can also by break fluid testers on Amazon for less than $20

jefjes | 27 maart 2020

Yep they can do it or should be able to but since it's just a moisture test and the test can be done easily at home by yourself, why have Tesla waste their time on it? Buy the test strips or instrument and either do it yourself or have a handy friend help you do it. Just don't leave the cap off the brake fluid reservoir very long and try to plan it when the air is dry because brake fluid absorbs moisture from the air so opening the reservoir exposes it to the very thing you're trying to avoid.

geedub1023 | 27 maart 2020

Suggested 2 year maintenance by Tesla is more than just check the brake fluid. I'm sure most of you folks know that. I've schedule my appointment for my 02/2018 (manufacture date) RWD/LR M3 for next week.

jwins | 27 maart 2020

@geedub Let us know what they do! Thanks.

geedub1023 | 27 maart 2020

@jwins

I received an estimate from my Service Center. Here are the specifics: Brake Fluid Check, R&R Cabin Filter, R&R 2ea HVAC Combination Filters, and Four Wheel Alignment (Check and Adjust Toe). There were two more items on the initial estimate for a Tire Rotation (I had this done and wheels balanced at Discount Tire a couple of months ago) and Top Off Windshield Wiper Fluid. Total Estimate (with those two items removed) = $245.00

jordanrichard | 27 maart 2020

Geedub, the OP wasn’t inquiring about a two service. It was just a question about the recommendation of the 2 yr fluid check.