Forums

To test-drive or not

To test-drive or not

I got a call from Tesla asking me if I would like to come and test drive a Tesla. My first question was when did they get a model X. They told me that they had Model S and that they wouldn't have Model X till April and asking me if I was interested in Model X. I was like....yea I am expecting mine April End. Thought they got my number from my order. Guess not

I have never touched a Tesla forget driving one. For that matter, I did not test drive my Audi S5 cabriolet either.
Am I the only one to listen to my heart and not my head? Is driving 1 hour one way to test drive a model S even worth given the fact that nothing will change my decision to buy an X?

AlMc | 13 maart 2016

Simple answer: If it is not going to affect your X decision: No

carlk | 13 maart 2016

Other than trying the seats I never test drove any cars before I buy. When I go to a dealer the only purpose is to buy the car. A short drive really does not tell you much about the car other than might mess up your better judgement, provided you do have one of course. I do read tests from professional reviewers or experiences from owners though. I still remember the surprise look on the Porsche salesman's face when I declined his offer of try one after I already placed the order. I just want to find out everything from my own car that I'm 100% sure is a good decision. The only exception is I test drove the S for the purpose of convincing wife of the car even though my decision has already been made.

carlk | 13 maart 2016

Just want to add Tesla could be a little different as the pedal response is something you need to experience it to know. Although everyone probably has heard enough of it and pretty much can figure out what it would be.

jimvan | 13 maart 2016

I would vote yes to the test drive. If you are unfamiliar with electric drive, it will be a revelation and will up your anticipation of your X. We took a test drive in a model S after we had put down our X deposit, and even though we are Leaf owners (for several years) driving the S gave me an appreciation for the direction Tesla is taking things. I think you will enjoy the test drive and will appreciate the half day you spent on it.