Forums

Dashboard, roof options and more

Dashboard, roof options and more

Hi,

I found this video about some stuffs that you maybe missed.

https://www*youtube*com/watch?v=Qr2FaDh-Hlg

Dashboard HUD :
- Horizontal 15" screen is final
- Display elements are not final

Roof options :
- Metal
- Fixed glass
- Panoramic

More info in the video.

Nic727 | 3 april 2016

At the end of video when he is presenting USB ports, do you think the rectangle is a vent like he saying or maybe a CD drive if you want to listen at your music from CD?

Red Sage ca us | 4 april 2016

Usually, screen dimensions are diagonal... For instance, the 17" screen in a Model S is around 14" tall... If this screen is 15" wide, it is likely larger than the display in the Model S, not smaller.

fireledestructeur | 4 april 2016

I really hope that an option for hatchback or liftback will be available.

DTsea | 4 april 2016

Seems like metal and pano roof options wont happen... the head room in the back is only possible without a transition element between rear window and roof - on Model S that item is the head contact point.

Seems pretty clear then that glass all the way to mid point is core to the design- better rear visibility and no liftback.

carlk | 4 april 2016

@fireledestructeur

I'm afraid that you'll need to wait for the SUV/wagon version Model Y then. It's been made very clear the reason for the one piece glass is for better head room. That likely will not be sacrificed. Even the much bigger S, which is a hatchback, has very limited headroom with solid roof.

Red Sage ca us | 6 april 2016

For decades now, 'concept' cars have made me feel that eventually a nice, full, entire glass top would come along in a low, sleek, fast vehicle I could buy... But the reality has often been far from the mark.

anujasharma19 | 6 april 2016

Honestly, I'm torn about this interior. I love it and hate it.
First, I want info in front of me, not to the side.
Second, I get that we're all into tech, we we all love our phones and touchscreens and everything, but I work with video screens in my face all day and I watch tv at night. Now I have a screen in my face while I'm driving too? I enjoy driving as a kinetic experience when for a few minutes each day, I DONT have a screen in my face.

This was one of the things I hated about the Model S. I wish there was a way to turn it OFF and just have critical info displayed above the steering wheel. I just want to drive in a dark car at night and look out at the road and streetlights, without the ghostly light of a screen in my peripheral vision. Makes me want to get a blackout curtain I can drape across the thing when I'm sick of the screen.

Lastly, what is so wrong with physical BUTTONS? The kind your hand can find and manipulate without taking your eyes off the road. Are we so in love with "tech" and "new" that we abandon better design ergonomics simply for the sake of CHANGE?

anujasharma19 | 6 april 2016

Honestly, I'm torn about this interior. I love it and hate it.
First, I want info in front of me, not to the side.
Second, I get that we're all into tech, we we all love our phones and touchscreens and everything, but I work with video screens in my face all day and I watch tv at night. Now I have a screen in my face while I'm driving too? I enjoy driving as a kinetic experience when for a few minutes each day, I DONT have a screen in my face.

This was one of the things I hated about the Model S. I wish there was a way to turn it OFF and just have critical info displayed above the steering wheel. I just want to drive in a dark car at night and look out at the road and streetlights, without the ghostly light of a screen in my peripheral vision. Makes me want to get a blackout curtain I can drape across the thing when I'm sick of the screen.

Lastly, what is so wrong with physical BUTTONS? The kind your hand can find and manipulate without taking your eyes off the road. Are we so in love with "tech" and "new" that we abandon better design ergonomics simply for the sake of CHANGE?

JeffreyR | 6 april 2016

@davidnippert
"Lastly, what is so wrong with physical BUTTONS? The kind your hand can find and manipulate without taking your eyes off the road. Are we so in love with "tech" and "new" that we abandon better design ergonomics simply for the sake of CHANGE?"

Physical buttons are really hard to change in OTA updates.Granted you could use LED buttons that can be changed via software but you get the idea. I've written up a multi-gesture concept in one of my Disquis posts. I'll have to dig that up if I can to see if you LIKE it.

jamilworm | 6 april 2016

@davidnippert I agree with a lot of what you are saying. Assuming critical info is visible somewhere other than the screen it would be nice to be able to turn it off.

Regarding physical buttons, I too prefer them. But I think a main reason they are becoming obsoleted is because they have a much higher failure rate than touch screens. Anything with moving parts is more likely to wear out and fail.

Red Sage ca us | 7 april 2016

Lots of buttons in a Porsche Panamera. Hey! Maybe you can convince Porsche to build a fully electric version that is Supercharger compatible!

anujasharma19 | 7 april 2016

I'm not saying you need a LOT of buttons - but basic sound system buttons, HVAC system, sunroof etc should be able to be operated without moving your eyes from the road.
The TOUCHSCREEN ONLY design policy seems like it's almost aggressively changing things that have been already optimized for human operation, simply for the sake of being NEW and TECH.
From a design perspective, it is innate to manipulate something by reaching for it. Seat heating switch should be on or near the seat. Sunroof button should be on the sunroof. Reach for the thing you want to change. Like a baby knows how to do. Not think of the thing you want to change, look at the the OMNI-DEITY touchscreen, find your desired option among the menus, then change the setting.

Stereo and HVAC are changed so frequently that they deserve their own knob that you can find without using your eyes.

And there should be a setting to turn OFF the screen entirely when I don't want TECHNOLOGY! in my face at all times and simply want to enjoy the physical experience of driving.