Forums

“Driver Assistance Features not Available”

“Driver Assistance Features not Available”

My P85D, currently with v7.1 (2.17.37) firmware, has displayed the subject message four times during the last 7 months. Here how it happens. I drive from home to my first destination and park the car. When I return, in about 20 minutes, the message appears. I drive to my second destination and park the car. The message is still there. Resetting the system doesn’t help. When I return, in about 10 minutes, the message is gone. It doesn’t reappear for several weeks or even months. Could not get any answer from Tesla. Does anyone have a similar problem?

Copythat23 | 14 mei 2016

I got this message when autopilot was first turned on. Tesla had to replace the front facing camera in the rear view mirror.

radtel | 14 mei 2016

I have had this message, off and on, for the last 5 months on our S90D. It occurs when I have parked some distance (I haven't measured it yet) from the road (like an off road parking lot).

It will disappear once the car has powered down and you are back in road range.

I (and others) have reported this to Tesla service along with times and dash pictures of when it occurred. I have had no response from them on a fix.

lovetodriveCTroads | 14 mei 2016

I experienced the same message with my 90D. However, I have not seen the message again after Tesla replaced the front facing camera about 10 days ago.

murphyS90D | 14 mei 2016

Is your windshield sparkling clean in front of the camera?

Are conditions such that the windshield is cold with significant humidity inside of the car causing condensation to form on the inside of the window in front of the camera? There is supposed to be a heater in there to prevent condensation from forming.

valrud | 14 mei 2016

josienewborn,
It's possible that your problem has been fixed as a result of replacing the camera; however, the frequency of reappearing of the message, at least in my case, is measured not in days but in many weeks and sometime months.

murhyS85,
Yes, my windshield is "sparking clean" and free of any condensation - I live in Southern California, and problems show up when the outside temperature is in the upper 60s. Besides, if the windshield is not "sparkling clean" when the message appears, why does it disappear after driving a few miles?

murphyS90D | 14 mei 2016

@valrud
Maybe there was a butterfly sleeping on the windshield.

You are in the area of intermittent problems. If it's not happening when Tesla looks at the car, there is no way they can fix it unless they want to spend a lot of money throwing new parts at it. The hardest part of fixing an intermittent problem is figuring out what the problem is.

EdwardG.NO2CO2 | 14 mei 2016

With my P90D the error message occurs very regularly ( nearly every other day I drive it). Can't figure any relationship to conditions of roads or weather. Often goes away after exiting the car for a while and then returning!
Reboots do not help! No apperent visual hardware issues I can determine. Looks like a software issue to me because was not an issue until the last update recently!

valrud | 14 mei 2016

EdwardG.NO2CO2,

In my case, it was happening both before and after the last update.

fi488249 | 14 mei 2016

Just got this message for the first time on my 70D after having it for a month. It was first thing in the morning. After my first stop, I got back in my car and it was gone. Weird.

WheresMyNikon | 15 mei 2016

I have had this intermittently since getting my 85D in April. With perhaps 1 or 2 exceptions, it only occurs when I park the car for greater than 20 minutes, oriented so the camera is directly facing he sun when I restart the car. I was able to reproduce this, twice then by covering the camera with a towel, in the same position as the two previous errors, it started up fine. Tesla pulled my logs and told me they were working on it and that it was a "not rare", edge case for some cars. The last update certainly reduced the frequency, seems to recover after driving a few minutes. however it is still an occasional issue if I park in a particular direction. This has nothing to do with high temperature as I have been driving in Montreal through fairly chilly spring.

Drdpharris | 15 mei 2016

This sounds like a general message for when that system does not have sufficent inputs (data) to function. That means it may sppear for any number of problems, eg wiring harness failure, CAN failure, failure of initialization of any of the sensors, etc. So the same message may be occurring for a different reason in the cases above. Hopefully they have better descriptions in the errorlogs so they can fix the problem.

Drdpharris | 15 mei 2016

This sounds like a general message for when that system does not have sufficent inputs (data) to function. That means it may sppear for any number of problems, eg wiring harness failure, CAN failure, failure of initialization of any of the sensors, etc. So the same message may be occurring for a different reason in the cases above. Hopefully they have better descriptions in the errorlogs so they can fix the problem.

EVRider | 15 mei 2016

Like a couple of others have reported here, I had the same problem and it was fixed by replacing the front camera. Have the SC check your car, no one else can diagnose the problem for you.

Haggy | 15 mei 2016

Your camera might not need replacing but simply need recalibrating. Either way, the SC can test it and calibrate it if the camera works, or replace it if it doesn't.

kwen197 | 15 mei 2016

Valrud: Note the date, time, condition's and the message. When you have a few recorded, then communicate them to your service center. They can review your logs and pin point the problem.

Boonedocks | 15 mei 2016

+1 WheresMyNikon I have had almost 100% occurrence with your post. Never has happened at startup from home and never from startup leaving my office. But between ~9:30 am and 1:00ish if I park for a short stop and the camera is facing the sun it will almost without fail give me "drive assistance features unavailable". Oddly enough it happened today after dropping off some mail at the post office literally in and out and when I restarted it popped right up. Called Tesla Support and gave them the whole story and reference to this thread. Her response was you either have debris or moisture on your windshield. Smh smh smh. :/

Tropopause | 15 mei 2016

Mine occurs very infrequently while crossing the San Mateo Bridge at night.

gowansd | 31 december 2017

I have had this happen a few times recently. Initially I thought it was a function of the sensors being covered in typical Michigan winter road crap but the issue has come and gone and I haven't washed the car during this period.

It could be that the sensors are right on the edge of being obscured such that this is an intermittent problem. It could also be temperature dependent, as it's been damn cold here lately. Or, the 50.2 update made this more likely to happen.

My question: If I use the in-car bug reporting to note when this happens and contact service after a few occurrences, will the vehicle logs contain my notes?