Forums

rear-seats and isofix (3 child-seats)

rear-seats and isofix (3 child-seats)

Dear Tesla forum,
I am interested to know, if you can accomodate 3 children (2, 5, 8) on the rear-seats-row of model 3.

High level (read safe) children seats are fixed with iso-fix in germany.
Normaly the car makers offer 2 iso-fix at the side and one not-iso-fix in middle. Nevertheless, you never have space to accomodate 3 child seats at the same time.
This would be a unique selling point, because (to my knoledge) no sedan (or station wagon) sold in europe is offereing such optional feature.
Can you elaborate on the topic? Maybe, Tesla is using other connectors for the child seat; I do not care, if the safety remains equivalent.
many thanks
Simone

simone.montanari | 18 september 2016

I am interested to know, if you can accomodate 3 children (2, 5, 8) on the rear-seats-row of model 3.

skwok | 18 september 2016

You won't know for sure until the car is out. Thinking of my 2 kids (9 and almost 7) I think it might be done. You would need to have your 8 year old in a backless booster seat, and your other 2 in narrow seats on the sides.

EaglesPDX | 18 september 2016

Don't think you'll see the TX break the "3 kid car seat barrier" that puts people into the larger station wagons (now called SUV's) and vans.

As you note, no other sedans or smaller wagons/SUV's can do it either so it's not a failing of the TX or a competitive issue.

The TX will be a solid five seater though for 3 kid families out of the car seat phase.

Red Sage ca us | 18 september 2016

Sorry, I had to look that up on Google... I was certain a German company named Häfele also used the brand name 'isofix' for connectors used in cabinetry and furniture... But now I realize you literally mean a seat belt connector for child safety seats. I had only seen those connectors once, only a couple of weeks or so ago, when I helped a relative take their child out of the car. Honestly, it seemed as if the Isofix would make the connection to the seat belt assembly harder to do... What is the point of the device exactly?

Red Sage ca us | 18 september 2016

I watched a video on YouTube [ qL3c3hs9who -- What is ISOfix? ]... Apparently my relatives had installed the Isofix incorrectly... No wonder it didn't seem right.

PaceyWhitter | 19 september 2016

It is called LATCH in the US, but looks like the same thing. That belt holds the car seat in place. It is very useful for young kids child seats. I have never heard of it being used for a 5 and 8 year old. We use booster seats and the regular seatbelt. I doubt the 3 will handle 3 across.

PhillyGal | 19 september 2016

Sorry that no one knows the answer yet.

I do hope they make the seat belts more friendly to booster seats though. The buckle they click into is so far recessed in the Model S, it takes a circus act to use a booster.

Red Sage ca us | 19 september 2016

Apparently there are some laws in the US that require booster seats for Micronian children. In California* I think the limit is something like 70 lbs or nine years of age before you can chuck out the safety seats. This kind of ruins my 'Uncle Ron' routine, because I will take kids just about anywhere as long as they don't need a baby seat -- I hate those things. Uhm, the seats, that is. But it used to be that if a kid could walk on their own and didn't need a diaper change they could ride with me.

I grew quickly as a child and was taller than my 5'-2" Mom by the end of Second Grade. By the time she would have bought a booster seat for me back then, it wouldn't have fit at all. Good think I had younger, shorter Brothers, eh?

* Child Safety Seats - California Highway Patrol
Children under the age of 8 must be secured in a car seat or booster seat in the back seat. Children who are 8 years of age OR have reached 4' 9" in height must be secured by a safety belt in the back seat. Passengers who are 16 years of age and over are subject to California's Mandatory Seat Belt law.
www.chp.ca DOT gov/programs-services/programs/child-safety-seats

tedirelan | 19 september 2016

The LATCH system has been required in vehicles for years now. Tesla should have that system in their Model 3.

simone.montanari | 19 september 2016

Many thanks for all the answers.
I cite from wikipedia: ISOFIX is the international standard for attachment points for child safety seats in passenger cars. The system has other regional names including LATCH ("Lower Anchors and Tethers for Children") in the United States and UAS ("Universal Anchorage System") or Canfix in Canada.[1] It has also been called the "Universal Child Safety Seat System" or UCSSS.

Isofix does not use belts to fix the child seat; the idea is to hard-lock the seat to the frame of the car.
http://microsites.audi.com/childseats/img/quality/slide2_pic.jpg

Badbot | 19 september 2016

I think I can strap them on the roof like grandma from vacation

sanja.brundic | 20 september 2016

By the time you get the car, your 8 year old will be at least 10 year old. So take that into account.

jonathan.pinkus | 20 september 2016

Would be nice as well and was hoping it would have been on the S already. Tesla already includes 5 latch anchors so it would only be one additional.

On my current Model S I have 3 car seats across the back and plan to move them into my 3.

Outward 2 are latched and the center seat is very secure using the locking middle seatbelt. Additionally all 3 are hooked into the rear of the seat as.

brando | 9 oktober 2016

You already got 3 kids? May be keep the S til the warranty runs out, only 8 years, then see what Tesla has to offer.