Forums

4th Rock from the Sun - Elon Musk and Space X epic plans

4th Rock from the Sun - Elon Musk and Space X epic plans

makobill | 27 september 2016

I enjoyed the keynote and left his discussion hopeful that humans will visit Mars in my lifetime. The Q&A afterwards reminds me why we haven't done so already. Is it just me or are people getting more stupid over time?

Ross1 | 27 september 2016

Thanks for getting the ball rolling, I have been trying to whet their (forum) interest.
Why is no one interested???????

Too busy discussing 8.X....

Too busy discussing 8.X....

I calculate that SpaceX will need 373,000 forward orders at any one time to keep 1000 spaceships in the air carrying 100 people each.
There have been no applications as yet for pilots of the Falcon Heavies.

gguinto | 27 september 2016

Reminds me of the Steve Jobs quote "the ones that are crazy enough to think that they can change the world are the ones that do"

SO | 27 september 2016

Yikes. Some of those people in the Q&A are scary.

georgehawley.fl.us | 27 september 2016

Elon building an interplanetary transport system reminds me of the lyric from a Tom Lehrer song about Wehrner Von Braun:

""Once the rockets are up, who cares where they come down?
That's not my department," says Wernher von Braun."

Octagondd | 27 september 2016

Great presentation. I felt bad for Elon when the idiots started opening their mouths. But it is usually the fanatics that are on board first. Some of those fanatics can be slightly off kilter. There is a lot of FUD that needs to be rejected and more information needs to get to the general public about the very real possibility of achieving this goal. The Millennial generation has a very real opportunity to be the generation that takes human consciousness interplanetary.

grega | 27 september 2016

Have been following this for a while. There's probably less interest on this board because those who ARE interested go to nasaspaceflight dot com or elsewhere. And the forum here at Tesla has a few issues :)

Do you think he sold the public on the concept? He's been working on the concept for several years and it was great to see visualisations of the booster and spaceship, pricing goals, and developments so far.

But it seems that too much was left out to get the buzz... but I'm probably being too harsh. Perhaps I wanted to see him tell people WHY we need to go to Mars and how the colony might work... and yet that wasn't what his presentation was about.

Yes I get that the reason is to become multi planetary, but that's a HUGELY long term goal. Perhaps I wanted to see a vision of 50 years from now. And perhaps it's unnecessary... Musk may know that there are enough companies ready to invest and that more will follow.

Octagondd | 27 september 2016

@grega - I think he needs to get there with Red Dragon first and then prove propellant creation in situ before any serious proposals are made to the general public. If one of the 2020 Red Dragon's can come back in 2022, then he will have much more support by showing round trip feasibility. I am guessing 2027 or 2029 before the first manned attempt if we can in fact create propellant on Mars.

There are many steps to showing "it is happening". Red Dragon just needs to land successfully... that'll be a huge challenge. There's no way it flies back, it can't do it. They need to find a good water source and show they can effectively mine the water (pulling the CO2 from the air doesn't need digging!), creating Methalox is achievable if they can get the water.

They glossed over a thousand big problems. Optimistically I'd say the 2030s for the first manned attempt.

I think SpaceX can do it, and I think the world will need what Mars colonisation brings... in 50 years.

It will:
1 Sell lots of Teslas to particularly the younger generations
2 Require lots of money
3 Take Elon's mind off the Tesla ballgame

Elon wants to save the world. Mars colonisation is positive for humanity in at least 3 huge ways.

The moment he sees global active movement in building sustainable transport (EVs) and supporting technology (power plants, batteries) he'll let them get on with it and turn elsewhere.

SpaceX and maybe Tesla Aircraft

... I'm not sure if talking about Tesla is taking the OFF topic (for the thread) or on topic (for this forum)!

georgehawley.fl.us | 28 september 2016

Mars is a stretch but there is no second best in this neighborhood. If you are going to do it, you've got to start somewhere. Good for Elon. BTW, BEVs will run great on Mars.