Forums

What color?

What color?

My eyes keep getting drawn to the black M3 on the page. I curse every black vehicle I buy, and love them so much at the same time. Dirty in a millisecond, but oh so sweet when clean. I'm torn with my decision but its leading the charge in color choice for me on the Model 3. What color do you want?

akgolf | 28 september 2016

Red or blue are what I'm leaning towards, but that black one does look nice.

Pkalhan | 28 september 2016

I'm in the same position you are in. I was at first thinking about getting the base black color with black leather seats, but then the dirt issue crept into my mind, so I was thinking silver. I have seen some pictures of the silver M3 and it looks so sweet, almost like a liquid metal, but then, as you said, when black is clean, it looks awesome!! I think I will stick with base black.

KP in NPT | 28 september 2016

The ICE that the Model 3 will replace is black - and we hate it. Always dirty. No idea what color we'll get with the 3. Our Model S is the old (navy) blue. Thinking white or pearl white with white seats will force me to keep it spotless, as it should be. :)

jeremyzagrodzki | 28 september 2016

Does everyone's Model 3 appear in blue on their "my account" page?

ccsccs7 | 28 september 2016

I'm also leaning blue (as is my current car), but I kinda like the black motif.

KP in NPT | 28 september 2016

@jeremy - yes.

I have never had a black car....does it really get that dirty? I was thinking about maybe getting opti-coat or XPEL applied on the car...would that help at all?

mitchell.doug | 28 september 2016

That matte black lack looks amazing but I'm guessing it will be a premium paint color. Extra $1500? Anyone have any thoughts on how well it will hide dirt, durability, etc

I heard there is extra care needed with matte black...washing it and so on, I know myself well enough to know that I will be hating the upkeep of something like that. And yes, I think matte black will be a premium color...seems a lot of people liked it alot at the reveal.

Calibrotha2000 | 28 september 2016

Yeah the Matte Black is actually probably the last paint option recommended just because you SUPER have to take care of it that's why you honestly barely see any Matte finished cars on the road and when you see one that's been neglected it looks HORRIBLE.

I think the Midnight Silver Metallic is what Ima go with its a great compromise with a dark color and not quite black and it doesn't show dirt as much and I've seen a lot of pics of model S cars in that color with black rims and it def looks real nice! Midnight silver, Black tinted windows and black dipped rims!!!!!!

jamilworm | 28 september 2016

What page are you talking about where you are seeing colors? The fake configurator?
I really want a yellow or yellow/orange. I've always gotten white cars in the past, which I think look good but they are very common. I feel like even red is too common, and I don't really like the blue. If there isn't a yellow option or some other non-grayscale color then I'll probably get white and then get a wrap.

makobill | 29 september 2016

@jamilworm - its just in the photo gallery on the M3 page - a single photo I believe.

I'm going to have to look into the Midnight Silver. Who knows what the official color choices will be - maybe some new ones...

andy.connor.e | 29 september 2016

I love the electric blue, or obsidian black.

jefjes | 29 september 2016

Pearl white or bronze with tan interior.

Pkalhan | 29 september 2016

Stupid question....what exactly is obsidian black and how does is compare to the solid black?

Red Sage ca us | 29 september 2016

I think that 'Obsidian Black' has 'sparklies' in it... And maybe looks like an incredibly deep, dark grey, rather than absolute Black. But I'm not sure. I just sort of vaguely remember that's how it was described by someone else.

cars | 29 september 2016

It's metallic, in other words.

dsvick | 30 september 2016

"I think that 'Obsidian Black' has 'sparklies' in it"

Not that people that name colors need to have any basis in reality, but real obsidian doesn't have sparkles, doesn't it have more of a wet/oily look? I'd go for that, or maybe the same look but in a dark grey.

andy.connor.e | 30 september 2016

If you want to see what obsidian black is, just build a model S or X and change the color. LOL

info | 30 september 2016

Black and red are my two top color choices.

topher | 30 september 2016

"If you want to see what obsidian black is, just build a model S or X and change the color. LOL"

The pictures basically show nothing useful. With three blacks, what matters is how it acts in sunlight as one moves around it.

Thank you kindly.

Red Sage ca us | 1 oktober 2016

dsvick: Obsidian, AKA 'Dragon Glass' for fans of 'The Song of Ice and Fire' series of books by George R. R. Martin...

kylejamesscarlett | 4 oktober 2016

White with Black Interior

Pkalhan | 4 oktober 2016

I think I will go with Silver and maybe white interior

dd.micsol | 5 oktober 2016

british racing green or forest green.

Anakin | 6 oktober 2016

Matte back with grey wheel, all black interior but tan seats.

4fishtankz | 6 oktober 2016

I love the blue image but have to wait to see what options will be available

Pkalhan | 6 oktober 2016

Is it possible to have one color interior and another color for seats? If so, that would be pretty slick!

boaz280zx | 6 oktober 2016

I really like the white/pearl white. Blue is also cool, but I have a blue car already. The white with white interior accents looks really clean.

jefjes | 6 oktober 2016

I too like the look of white seats when new but when the oil from human contact begins to affect the look, they just start looking dirty. Tan on the other hand, starts to look conditioned or aged like fine leather does. IMHO..just a thought.

wein1682 | 8 oktober 2016

appear my account is blue color which my last choice .i am go for BLACK

Ebdew1 | 9 oktober 2016

Steely Blue Metallic with Black wheels.

gregcropper | 9 oktober 2016

White looks dirty so easily. I've always wanted a silver car.

jagreen3 | 9 oktober 2016

I would prefer red or blue, but plan to stick with white if that is the base color. I don't want to pay extra for a different color unless the base color is black. I would also prefer a light colored interior. That will cut down on air conditioning drain on the battery.

Badbot | 9 oktober 2016

Jagreen the base color is BLACK Buy there is a black that costs more so you are in luck.

RSavage_92024 | 10 oktober 2016

Pure White !!!!!!!

Cesg12290 | 10 oktober 2016

White exterior with dark wheels and white interior (if the synthetic white seats are available) fingers crossed!

nwadave | 10 oktober 2016

I think I'll wait to decide until after I know what's available.

4fishtankz | 11 oktober 2016

I keep looking at the image of the blue 3 in the my tesla page, and keep saying to the screen, "Yes, yes it is" LOL. Of course that could change when the final color selection comes to light, but leaning the blue

4fishtankz | 11 oktober 2016

I notice that that pretty brown is no longer an option on the S configuration page? When I was in line to reserve I was eyeing all the other Tesla colors dreaming what color I'd be getting when the time came, and that brown was on the list too. What year and what color was that?

Red Sage ca us | 11 oktober 2016

That wonderfully delicious sunset rootbeer color was simply called... BROWN. It's been gone since about Q1/Q2 2015 or so.

michelrusso57 | 15 oktober 2016

Never thought I would ever actually say this, yet after so many black and dark blue Beemers over the years, I am definitely leaning towards a Midnight Silver choice for my M3! Totally with you, Calibrotha2000!!

Pkalhan | 15 oktober 2016

I have a question about heat with darker colored interiors. Has there ever been a study done that shows that dark colored interiors (black) are x amount hotter than lighter colored interiors, say white? I ask because I trying to decide between white leather or black leather interiors and everyone says dark interiors get really hot, but how much hotter would it be assuming outside temp is the same for two cars with one car having a black interior and the other car having a white interior?

Pkalhan | 15 oktober 2016

I have a question about heat with darker colored interiors. Has there ever been a study done that shows that dark colored interiors (black) are x amount hotter than lighter colored interiors, say white? I ask because I trying to decide between white leather or black leather interiors and everyone says dark interiors get really hot, but how much hotter would it be assuming outside temp is the same for two cars with one car having a black interior and the other car having a white interior?