Forums

VW/Skoda death by cruise control, inquest

VW/Skoda death by cruise control, inquest

Decapitation under truck. Cruise control would not turn off.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/2254198/driver-32-made-terrified-eight-min...

Mike83 | 26 november 2016

VW seems to have lots of problems. Hope they do better if they can afford to make a EV.

DTsea | 26 november 2016

the foot brake wouldnt work? seems incredible.

Watt fun | 26 november 2016

Just one of the many reasons to have a manual transmission if you must drive an ICE.

TeslaTap.com | 26 november 2016

Very strange - the brakes in modern cars have more power to stop than a motor has power to keep going. Also seems odd the driver had 8 minutes to move the shift lever to Neutral.

lilbean | 26 november 2016

Why would he ask if he should use the handbrake?

Remnant | 26 november 2016

@lilbean (November 26, 2016)

<< Why would he ask if he should use the handbrake? >>

Apparently because he was not quite as good a driver as has been alleged, or he was impaired (this happend in the middle of the night; around 3 AM, he may have been able to talk, tho not necessarily able to distinguish between the accelerator and the brake pedals and he wondered about the advisability of using the handbrake).

Besides, the brake pedal was not pressed at all before the collision.

Conclusion: Driver impairment and error. He was brainless even before the collision took his head off.

lilbean | 26 november 2016

Sounds like a very bad case of pedal confusion or a suicide.

jerry | 26 november 2016

Very tragic this happened but I find it very hard to believe the gear shift was jammed not allowing him to shift to neutral, either the clutch pedal linkage broke or the clutch master cylinder / slave cylinder malfunctioned AND the cars brake system failed. ALL THREE of those systems would have had to fail on top of the electrical malfunction causing the original stated problem. Even a Ferrari can be slowed down from full throttle with full brake application, I'm not familiar with a Skoda, but I seriously doubt it has super car horsepower without having super car brakes...

Seems awful fishy...

jerry | 26 november 2016

I could maybe understand in a last second panic situation mistakingly hitting the accelerator and not the brake, maybe. But this gentleman had over 8 minutes to figure out he was stepping on the wrong pedal.

KP in NPT | 26 november 2016

I agree with Jerry - there is no way he mistook the pedals for 8 minutes. Something isn't right. Isn't the Sun something like National Inquirer? Not that the accident didn't happen, but the only stories I found googling are from similarly sensational outlets.

Ross1 | 26 november 2016

1: He kept hitting the on/off button trying to turn it off.
2: He didnt hit the handbrake: is the Octavia handbrake electric or manual?
3: I just got rid of my AUS Ford , which had a cruise control issue whereby it would keep accelerating like that.
4: The cruise control should turn off by a gentle touch on the brake: it didnt.
5: It is a Skoda.
6: It is a VW.
7: It is unlikely (impossible) that 2 system faults occurred at the same time, therefore it was something else.
8: If he was a genuine enthusiast, question his knowledge.
9: If he was a company director, he was reasonably intelligent. 130+ IQ??
10: Why weren't the headlines more like: VW cruise control kills driver, all over the world as it would be if Tesla.
11: Possibly the reason the speed kept changing and braking was not discerned is that he kept hitting every other available control to get it to change , including the accelerator, flicking it to try to disengage CC.

Ross1 | 26 november 2016

It could be either or either:

The Handbrake - Skoda Octavia Mk III (2013 onward) - BRISKODA
www.briskoda.net › ... › Skoda Octavia Owners › Skoda Octavia Mk III (2013 onward)
Jun 25, 2013 - 30 posts - ‎20 authors
Page 1 of 3 - The Handbrake - posted in Skoda Octavia Mk III (2013 ... handbrake compaired to vw and audis automatic switch hand brake.
Superb III - Electronic Hand Brake - Skoda Superb Mk III 30 posts 3 Jun 2015
handbrake rolling - Skoda Octavia Mk III (2013 onward) 29 posts 12 May 2015
Handbrake on wrong side - Skoda Octavia Mk III (2013 ... 19 posts 27 Mar 2014
Parking Brake - Skoda Superb Mk II 21 posts 3 Nov 2008
More results from www.briskoda.net
What is an electronic parking brake or electronic handbrake? | carwow
https://www.carwow.co.uk/guides/glossary/electronic-parking-brake-explained
Jan 4, 2016 - Our in-depth guide to electronic handbrakes explains how they work and why you shouldn't be wary of them. ... Skoda · Octavia Estate. RRP £18,310 - £29,410. One of the best ..... To release the electronic parking brake, simply attempt to drive off ... Carwow used auto lead skoda superb q3 results superb ...
What cars have electronic parking brakes? | Motoring discussion ...
www.honestjohn.co.uk › Back Room › Motoring discussion
Feb 2, 2009 - The electronic parking brake is a must, she is addicted to it now!! ..... All Skodas have proper handbrakes: the new Octavia I've got on order has ...
[PDF]ŠKODA Octavia & Octavia RS - škoda australia
www.skoda.com.au/.../20140318-octavia-sedan-wagon-rssedan-rswagon-brochu......
Mar 18, 2014 - The ŠKODA Octavia is more spacious and ... The tinted Electric Sunroof* .... ESC (Electronic Stability Control) with Multi-Collision Braking is ..... Sports leather package (3-spoke steering wheel, hand brake handle, gear lever ...
Buy Skoda Switch Electric Handbrake Used Car Parts for Octavia ...
www.parts.loc8apart.co.uk/nav/auto.../Skoda/Octavia/.../Switch-Electric-......
Save up to 75% off Skoda Octavia replacement Switch Electric Handbrake parts. Skoda Octavia Switch Electric Handbrake for sale .Search and purchase a ...
Skoda Octavia 2016 Review - motoring.com.au
www.motoring.com.au › Reviews
Aug 3, 2016 - Skoda Octavia 2016 Review ... Skoda Octavia Ambition Estate ..... In relation to electric handbrake thought the same but owning a car with its ...

grega | 27 november 2016

If a pedal is essentially a computer slider-button, then a person saying that pressing the brake does nothing is entirely consistent with findings that the car has no record of the brake being pressed.

I'm not sure why that isn't an important comment in the case. Both sides should agree "the car didn't sense him pressing the brake pedal" and move on to question if that was because the car failed or driver.

I have certainly experienced my home computer not responding to some inputs. I'm sure the computer has no record of me trying. A restart fixed it. Anyone NOT experienced that ever?