Forums

Why annual service takes 1-2 days?

Why annual service takes 1-2 days?

Just made an appointment for my first (12,500) service visit. They want the car one day (midday), and will try their best to have it ready the following afternoon. This appointment is for more than a month from now.

What's up with so much time? It lists $400 for the service, and the service technicians bill out at $150/hour or so. Don't understand. Seems like I could drop it off at 9 and have it back by 12 the same day.

carlk | 30 november 2016

It's all because of the very limited resources they have. They have to put cars there waiting for available technician instead of having assigned technicians there waiting for cars to come in. In a perfect world that they knew exactly how much time each car will need this might not be needed but otherwise they could not afford to have a technician idling because he finished a car ahead of schedule.

LimawanS85 | 30 november 2016

They are just backup with services these days. As long as you get a loaner or rental you should be fine

1BadNerd | 30 november 2016

It depends on the service center. I took mine in for second year service. When I called, I got an appointment less than a week out. I dropped it off at 8am and it was ready late afternoon.

carlk | 30 november 2016

@1BadNerd

Which SC? I would understand if you don't want to reveal it though.

Silver2K | 30 november 2016

They're probably short on loaners and need your car for a promised loaner to a customer.

Don't worry, it'll be fine when you get it back..... WHEN you get it back

:)

Tropopause | 30 november 2016

Silver! Drink your Kool-Aid!

malken00 | 30 november 2016

I highly recommend this access point 'mesh' system I got a few months back. Google also makes one now. https://www.amplifi.com/

I've got the base in the finished basement, one antenna in the garage and one on the second floor. Have a perfect signal up to about 100ft from my house. The one in the garage gives the S a perfect signal.

jordanrichard | 30 november 2016

Doublelift, there is a lot involved with the annual service. It is far from a quick 110 point insp.

ooagentmm | 30 november 2016

I just told them that I live 3 hours away from the nearest service center (which is true) and that I'd need it back by the end of the day. Dropped it off in the AM and had it back in about 6 hours. Portland service center.

SUN 2 DRV | 30 november 2016

Perviously my service apts had to be scheduled many weeks in advance.

When I called last week they had an open appointment slot for me less than a week out! When I acted surprised, he said they've been working hard to catch up and things have improved a lot lately.

And this is at Fremont, which used to be very very busy... guess they are gearing up for the much higher volumes of the Model 3...

SCCRENDO | 30 november 2016

The first service is not a biggie so doesn't take long. Generally every second one does more. It's probably because the are busy. Chill. be patient and enjoy the loaner.

lecompte | 30 november 2016

My Model S 70D now has 30K miles today. I haven't taken it in for any of the annual visits (1st or 2nd). Should I? I've taken it in for a few slights rattles here and there, and they always have performed a courtesy check for faults/etc. Is that sufficient? Should I take it in? Nothing is wrong with it.

rxlawdude | 30 november 2016

@lecompte - I religiously followed the every 12,500 mile rule for the first two service visits, even though they were within the first year of ownership. Now, 16 months into ownership and approaching 37,500 miles, I've decided to skip that service and have the "big" maintenance done as I approach 50,000 miles.

I've also decided not to purchase the Extended Service Agreement (like an extended warranty), as I'm burning through miles very quickly and I'm expecting any repairs between 50,000 and 100,000 miles not to exceed the $4K for the ESA. Also, be aware that the ESA terms require all maintenance to be performed on schedule; unlike a warranty which cannot be voided for merely not following recommended maintenance, the contractual terms of the ESA control. While no one has reported being denied service under the ESA due to not following the maintenance schedule, Tesla maintains the legal right to do so at any time.

They are proactive in picking up things. Had my battery contactors replaced at an annual service. For $600 a year it gives me peace of mind. Have had my car 3 year 8 months and have had 4 annual services. Did 2 in the first year because I was going on12,500 miles. They told me not to bother and just do it annually. I am now over 100,000 miles. My next service would be due in April but I need a scroll wheel replaced. Made an appointment for Friday and in the meanwhile got a warning that my 12V battery needs to be replaced. So it's good I have an appointment. Have had a previous proactive 12V battery replacement at a previous service. They also check fluids, windshield wipers, brakes and tires. I do my tire rotations at a local tire store.

Tropopause

Was I wrong?

Doublelift | 30 november 2016

It's the Marietta (Atlanta) SC. They once told me it could take a while to get an appointment, so I took that to heart and scheduled about 6 weeks out. That's no problem for me, I knew to plan ahead.

But I'm just curious how they do a service that takes hours for a paltry $400. Since I live a long drive away, I'll just spend the night, and they did offer a loaner while I'm in town. If they schedule smartly they wouldn't be overwhelmed, they should know how long it takes for an uneventful service. Perhaps they're building in time for an unexpected discovery.

Nothing but the best experience with my Tesla so far, and nothing but great people working there, from the owner advisors, DS, and the two visits I've had to the SC for issues. No complaints here, just wondering if the $400 is a bargain because they are spending several hours doing this service.

Or maybe it is a pyramid scheme and they do need to use my car as a loaner. I wonder whose car I'll get?

@jordanrichard - "there is a lot involved"- do you have any source that details what they do? That might be fascinating.

carlk | 30 november 2016

Tell them you like to try a P85+ and silver is the color you prefer.

carlk | 30 november 2016

carlk | 30 november 2016

mike_f | 30 november 2016

I can top that, I took mine in for a defective driver seat sensor, two weeks later I am still waiting. Something about replacing the entire seat. Go figure.

Yeah. Silver, when are you going in for your annual?

Looks like Donald Duck is spamming all over the place
Idiot!!!
Flagged

Tropopause | 30 november 2016

Rxlawdude,

I think we're on the same page. I did the first two annuals but now at 37,000 miles I forgoing #3 and using the $400 saved to buy a floor jack and torque wrench for future tire rotations.

Doing my own tire rotations allows me to take my car in for the 50,000 mile annual and then every 25,000 miles for the bigger services, along with tire replacements and wheel alignments.

Also skipping the ESA, for same reason as you.

lilbean | 30 november 2016

Lol @tropopause!

SUN 2 DRV | 30 november 2016

I did the 12.5k one and now that I'm at 70k I figure I better do the next one... Oooops the miles slip by so fast...

Also skipped the ESA and hope any repair costs will be less than $4k... so far there have none...

barrykmd | 30 november 2016

I skipped #1. Will do #2 next Spring.

I'm never taking my car in for service! NEVER, I TELL YAH!

mark_g

your car must make a great loaner! 2 weeks?

this is like a pyramid loaner scheme! :)

Haha! That's why they turn off the mobile app!

AHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!

And they unplug the cams!

jordanrichard | 1 december 2016

Doublelift, well though I don't have my service records in front of me, so I can't quote the list line by line. However with that said, they essentially inspect every facet of the car to include the bolts connecting the bumpers to the car. If any galvanic corrosion is found, they replace the bolts/washers. They check and re-torque if necessary all the bolts in your suspension and drive unit. They inspect measure brake pad thickness, check tire tread depth and rotate if necessary. They check the car's computer for any faults, the car's alignment, do any service campaigns that apply to your car. Though it didn't happen on my first service, but at my second, they replaced the heat pump for the battery coolant and both wiper arm assemblies with new wiper blades. I have VIN 32,xxx and the early cars always left a streak on the driver's side and these new wiper arms took care of that. The point is that if there is an improved design for one of the car's components, they will replace it.

That's all I can think of for the first service.

Doublelift | 1 december 2016

That confirms I think service prices are reasonable

barrykmd | 1 december 2016

jordanrichard - what if they find a loose rivet in my car. Does that mean they'll keep it for months, awaiting a replacement? :-)

Silver2K | 1 december 2016

barry, the especially needed your car for a loaner!

Silver2K | 1 december 2016

the/they

jordanrichard | 1 december 2016

barry, that's why they give you a loaner..........:-)

Haggy | 2 december 2016

That streak was from the pre-Bosch wiper blades. I had them change mine when the car was almost new, and they adjusted the arm pressure, and it's been fixed ever since. Blades are a consumable item, but in my case since they never worked right, Tesla took care of it.