Forums

2 years or 3 years till my Model 3?

2 years or 3 years till my Model 3?

Reservations on the 31st of March.
Montreal, Canada as far of the West coast you can think of.
Non Model S owner, non-employee.

I need to know if I buy a Chevy Bolt and re-sell as soon as I get my Model 3 deliveries or rent it and do lease transfer?
Which option sound the most cost effective.

I think the most cost effective would be buying a used ICE car to replace my dying Corolla but not the most eco friendly.

SamO | 10 december 2016

Buy a used car. You should take delivery early 2018. Ish.

dyefrog | 10 december 2016

I would be cautious about buying a Bolt. Even though it has more range than the current crop of EV's, other than Tesla, the resale market is horrific for EV's. The Leaf depreciated about 66% in 2 years. I bought a 2013 SV w/30k miles for $8k. It was probably in the low $30k's new, less the fed credit if qualified.
Maybe you can find someone looking to get out of their lease and they still have 18 months left. I wouldn't buy a used car then sell it 18 months later purely for the sales tax hit at registration. Unless you live somewhere that doesn't apply.

petero | 11 december 2016

If you drive less than 15K per year, I would lease a Bolt. Also ask if you are able to extend the lease 3-6 months or go month to month. You will probably not receive your T3 as soon as you want/need.

Maxxer | 11 december 2016

I drive about 15k a year

joemar10 | 12 december 2016

Look into buying a used Prius. I put 246,000 miles on a 2004 and it was still running great when I traded it on a new 2010. I now have 235,000 miles on my 2010. Hardly anything ever spent on maintenance on either one. You can get one pretty cheap, and as shown above, mileage is almost irrelevant. I know it's not exactly an EV, but it still has pretty low emissions and high MPG.

I am a low number Model 3 reservation holder and am banking on my current Prius to get me to the delivery date. if it doesn't, I will buy a used Prius to get me there. I live in VA and getting a Nissan dealer to even talk to me about a new Leaf is almost impossible, much less a used leaf. They are selling service, not cars.

EVRider | 12 december 2016

Can you even get a Bolt in Montreal in the near future? In the US, only California and Oregon will get the Bolt this year, and it will roll out to other states (allegedly all of them) in 2017.

McLary | 12 december 2016

The Bolt is for sale in Montreal and Toronto today, with deliveries expected before Christmas.

Maxxer | 13 december 2016

@McLary, where did you get that info?
I gave a 500$ deposit in 09/2016 at Gravel Chevrolet at Ile-des-Soeurs, went in today and they refund my deposit because they did not know when they would take delivery if any for the next few months.

I gave a 500$ deposit in 09/2016 at Gravel Chevrolet at Ile-des-Soeurs, went in today and they refund my deposit because they did not know when they would take delivery if any for the next few months.

sorry for the duplicates, page lagged

madgehart | 16 december 2016

I just bought a 2012 Nissan LEAF for $10k. The 2011/2012 model years have a 5 yr/60k mile battery warranty if the capacity goes below 9 bars. I drove mine for 6 weeks before it dropped to 8 bars and I got the battery replaced for free! The warranty was valid through March 2018 because it was added as a result of a class action suit - the early batteries weren't very heat resistant. Nice loophole. I love it -- will do just fine until I have funds for a Tesla! I'm thankful to Nissan for getting out there so early -- the mission is to get people off gas, and thankfully now I am!

mattsondra | 16 december 2016

Buy a used Volt.

Maxxer | 27 december 2016

@mattsondra

does a used volt fit 3 baby seat in the back?

carlk | 27 december 2016

Don't think you can get a Bolt in Canada before you could get a 3 there.

reed_lewis | 30 december 2016

I have a 2017 Volt that my wife drives. You can put a child seat in the back with no issues.

Maxxer | 8 januari 2017

Can you put 3 child seats?

campusden | 8 januari 2017

You fit 3 child seats in a corolla currently? Have you seen how small the model 3 is compared to the model S? Your best option is a minivan if don't have resources for used "S" or "X".

The flying hippie | 9 januari 2017

My mom has a Bolt coming in April so they are definitely available in Montreal real soon. I ordered it for her from GM Île-Perrot. They said they had limited availability for April and then the next batch would be in September. I think the Model 3 will be available to March 31st reservation holders in about a year at the Montreal store so I wouldn't lease a bolt. Get another used Corolla if yours dies.

Silver2K | 9 januari 2017

the model 3 is 20% smaller than the S and similar in size to the A4 as per Elon