Forums

Seat configuration

Seat configuration

I would love to get some opinions on what seat configuration people have choosen.

My wife and I are upgrading from a Toyoda Highlander for a Model X and we are thinking of going with the 6 seat config. We have 2 kids (4 and 17 months so we still have 2 carseats). I just feel the 7 seat config is way to tight in the back for anyone to sit.

Basically trying to decide between the 5 seat and the 6 seat options. Is having the back row really comfortable for people to sit with the 6 seat option or just have the 5 seat option and gain the ability for the second row seats to fold down?

Thanks for all your thoughts.

lilbean | 15 januari 2017

I would go with the 6 seat configuration. The third row has little leg room. There have been many complaints about the quality of the folding second row with the 5 seat configuration.

PedanticOne | 15 januari 2017

I only have one kid, but I opted for the 6 seat purely because of the ease of moving around the back without that middle seat there, as well as the increased storage due to its absence.

poloX | 15 januari 2017

My toddler loves the second row center seat cause he can look forward. To me that is a must for kids.

Oly | 15 januari 2017

With the 6 or 7-seater, there's actually very little room in the back trunk; I use the frunk a lot more. If the 5-seater has the same room as the 3rd row folded, that's just about the right trunk room I'd expect for an SUV.

The 3rd row on the 6/7 seater is quite tight. The two people sitting there are very chummy. I have a hard time putting kids back there because the car seats cover up the seat belt clips.

Also, don't be fooled by the comfort level of the middle-row seats. They don't recline... they tilt. And they maintain their angle. Oh, and while driving, they lock in place in a fixed position, so it isn't like you get to move it forward and backwards.

Overall, I'm not terribly impressed with the 6-seater. The Model X is impressive... but the seating configuration leaves you wanting.

Teslapalooza | 15 januari 2017

If you are considering 5-seater, do go to a local Tesla showroom and check it out thoroughly before you take the leap. I bought one without ever getting a chance to see a 5-seater car. At the time I ordered, the Sales folks told me there are no 5-seater demo models available to see but it will likely look and feel like the seats in a 6seater. Boy, was I in for a big surprise when I finally got mine. By the time I saw the first pictures of it, it was too late for me to change. They told me I will have to forfeit my $2500 deposit and start a new order if I want to change to a 6-seater. I completely detest the 5-seater and the quality of the 2nd row seats. My 2 cents.

That's a bummer, ramses.

ahem. "and it is done - nomohwhining from me. I will now shut up and enjoy the rest of the car"

I told you I'd hold you to it. HERE I AM.

Oh yeah! Lol!

:-D

Teslapalooza | 15 januari 2017

oh man, I was afraid you would say that PedanticOne :-)

I just wanted to warn any prospective buyers to not make the same mistake I made. Don't get me wrong, some people may like their 5-seater. All I am saying is check it out first before making a decision, now that people do have the possibility of seeing a 5-seater car in the showrooms.

burdogg | 15 januari 2017

We have 4 kids :) So we had to choose between 6 and 7. We went with 6. The youngest is 8, next is 11. They do just fine in the very back. We haven't gone on a long trip yet so still to be determined there, but the leg room is sufficient. If you do the 7 seater - I don't think many people would want to sit in the very back. Now for storage - it all depends on how you pack. We went from an Expedition EL to this. After looking at the frunk and the trunk with the deep wells where the gas tank normally would be, I figured we could get all the stuff in the X as we did the Expedition. With 2 kids, I don't see the need for a 5 seater - it does not to me look as nice as the 6 seater. The 6 seater, if you needed space, you can put the very back seats down and still have the two middle seats for your kids. It is just if you add more kids you can't put both seats down in the back - but even if you just add 1 kid, you could still put 1 seat in the back down and should have plenty of packing room (I guess it depends on how you pack though)

This is just my experience and limited as we only had it since Dec 22. We love it so far and works for our family of 6. I would not go with 7 seats though, unless you felt you needed to move 7 people. Crammed back, back window view blocked. Good luck - feel free to ask more questions if you want more specifics.

Haha!

Let's also be clear that there are pieces that do make the back of the car look complete. ;-) Just that some people didn't get them (and weren't necessarily told—which I think is really egregious on the part of Tesla btw).

Damn you burdogg for ruining my flow.

RED.

Yes, very true - some complain about the handle etc.. too - to me, it is all up to what you are expecting :) So I would recommend seeing the two configurations before you decide. and then when you make the decision, make sure you get the Blue paint with White seats :) it is priceless (sorry, little inside joke going)

Ah, you beat me to it!

My Dad put us in the back seat of his TransAm and we had zero leg room. No complaints thought. It was a fun car! My Dad is the coolest dad!

TransAm? Your dad was Burt Reynolds? That IS cool!

Haha!

I used to love TransAms and Camaros. Still do, really.

Yes. They're pretty cool. So 80s.

SolidWhite60DX | 15 januari 2017

+1 to the 6 seater. I have older kids (11 and 15) and the 11 yo loves the third row. He will normally get back there through the middle seats, he doesn't even slide the second row seats to get in/out. Looking back at the 7 seaters on the SC, we feel that they're too tight.

Also with 6 seats you get a little better rear visibility as you don't have the middle headrest on the way. I would only do the 7 seater if I needed to transport 7 kids regularly.

tesla | 15 januari 2017

"The 7 seat config is way to tight" - you got that right. That said, how often are you going to use those anyway? We got a 7-seater and the logic was as follows - we get 2 car seats on the second row, and grandparents in the 3rd. If we have a friend or a nanny, that person can take the middle seat in the second row. Chances are you and your wife will be driving with kids + maybe one more person, most of the time, so you'll only use the first 2 rows.

The 6 seater config might a good idea if you want extra cargo space. With the back row folded and the mid seat gone, you will get a lot more room for stuff like skis, surf boards, furniture.. you name it. 7-seater is pretty tight as far as carrying long stuff.

tesla | 15 januari 2017

One more thing. Do ignore the "back window view blocked" comments about the 7-seater. The car pretty much drives itself, what do you need to look at the back for anyway?

Seriously, in the old cars, you look at the back because you want to be aware of what the dumb ass behind you is doing, and be alert and ready to get out of their way. Teslas will do it for you. So...

And if you really must look back, side mirrors are huge and provide great visibility.

jRoGville | 16 januari 2017

I'm very happy with my 5-seat choice, although I might have forgone the extra storage you get from deleting the 3rd row seats if the 2nd row had been able to fold. Not crazy about he 2nd row seats as they are now.

However, if you're going to fill all six seats with people, there won't be much room left for storage. But there's a solution I like. Get the Tow Package and then get this:

https://www.stowaway2.com

I've used this with my present ICE car and they work great. Gives you lots of storage. And you can get a swing-away option that still lets you open the tailgate without un-hitching the cargo box.

burdogg | 16 januari 2017

Thanks for the link jRoGville - that was our plan IF we couldn't fit it all, hence the tow package we got. But I really think at least for us, there will be enough room if packed right, between the frunk and the back :) But a backup plan is smart and was going to look for things for hitch - hadn't seen the covered one like that, so thanks again!

jRoGville | 16 januari 2017

You're welcome, burdogg. I found them to be very high quality and have found mine to be very useful. I guess the only thing I should say is that I've had mine for over ten years and hopefully they've kept up the quality. Some companies haven't. I would check recent reviews to see what people are saying now. We made a long trip with my daughter's family (w/two kids) and believe it or not, I actually had enough overflow from my Yukon XL (read Suburban) to totally fill one of these things. She does not pack light.

Yeah, I know how that quality as years go on can go downhill. Will check into reviews etc if we have to end up purchasing.
That is crazy - we have an Expedition EL but my wife packs really well for our family of 6. When I went to test drive the X (it is 180 miles away) I took a duffle bag we use and a suitcase we use so I could check out how it would work. From it, i was pleasantly surprised that we can probably fit everything we normally pack in the Expedition El into the X (the frunk helps out a lot). We shall see if it really works when we do go to make our first trip :)

As I had stated earlier though, we did get the hitch just in case we needed something like you gave the link to if we could not make it work :)

MasterT | 16 januari 2017

My vote is for 7 seater. Out of all posted concerns for 7-seater only 3 are valid (at least in my opinion):
1. Second row middle seat blocks almost all visibility for rear view mirror
2. Second row middle seat precludes from hauling long cargo as the second row does not fold flat
3. Third row will have less available leg room

But, I still got the 7-seater because:
1. 6-seater config looks just "strange" with the absence of the middle seat in the second row. Having a console between the seat would make it so much more "complete"
2. There are no handles or armrests on the seats of the second row which makes seating in them kind of awkward when middle seat is missing
3. Most in favor of 6 seater assume someone in the 3-rd row, which is not the case for me
4. During many years of ownership of various 3 row SUVs, I only used 3rd row a handful of times, so I know that the third row will be folded flat 99% of the time
5. I do not plan to haul any long cargo, if I have to, I have wive's MB for that. For even bigger or longer cargo, I could rent a van from U-Haul or Home Depot for less than $30
6. With 7-seater 3-rd row leg room is smaller but still usable and I would still like to have an option to haul 7 if needed as opposed to 5-seater
7. Yes, middle seat of a 7-seater headroom is less than the neighboring seats, but I'm 6' and have just enough headroom when seat in the middle, it's very comfortable and roomy enough
8. 7-seater over 5-seater because 7-seater seats are much nices than the 5 seater bench and
9. The multi-compartment multi-level config of the 5-seater storage is strange but I guess would be beneficial for those needed the space; not me, I dont need that
10. 5-seater config is not fully thought out, in my opinion. I think as the time goes by, there will be pretty significant changes to the cargo area to make the configuration more useable and "whole".
11. Owning big SUVs for the past 10-15 years I'm used to using side mirrors 99% of the time, so rearview mirror poor visibility is an ok compromise for me

Tesla referral code: Get $1,000.00 off of your Tesla by using my referral link (http://ts.la/val2313)

MasterT - you put some good thoughts out there, I still would no way get the 7 over the 6 - my family of 6 is getting bigger and leg room is a necessity in that third row for longer trips :)

I will point out one thing: please refrain from dropping your code, sounds desperate. Sorry, just my thoughts - can you just imagine - everyone will come on, post some stuff and then code drop. It gets old. Maybe I am just of the mantra of, if you do something good for someone else, that is the reward. if they want to show appreciation back, they will find a way to get your code from you :) (my two cents, worth nothing, but I know how many on here feel)

lilbean | 16 januari 2017

When I see the code, I don't even bother reading it.

josher32 | 16 januari 2017

I love my 5 seat option with Tan leather. I'm very impressed with quality. Not sure why all the complaints. Our kids were too old enough to use third row. Love the ability to fold seats flat and recline the 2nd row backwards which I couldn't do well with 6 seater (yes I know it tilts but that to me isn't as comfortable).

Triggerplz | 16 januari 2017

Yea dropping his code like he trying to help us military veterans or something:-)

MasterT | 16 januari 2017

@burdogg - in situation where 6 passengers will be most often present than not, I agree, 6-seater is the way to go.

As for the referral link, I copied the entire post from TMC forum where I've originally posted the list and the signature was simply part of it. But since you mentioned it, I think i will be including it in all of my posts (and burdogg, I sincerely apologize for not taking your advise), unless it's prohibited by TOS, here is why:

1. When I was placing my order, I had to look for a referral link. Granted, I wanted to find someone from my neighborhood, but I would've chosen anyone's I liked a post of, it just wasn't easily available.
2. With enough posts, the referral could come up in a search
3. People, who I do something good for and they choose to use my referral, would ask for it if I attach it to my every post or not
4. With my referral link attached to every post there is a chance someone will use it - let's give that chance 0.0000000000001% but with me not posting the link the chance of someone using it exactly 0

Tesla referral code: get $1,000.00 off of your Tesla by using my referral link (http://ts.la/val2313)

k - Whatever floats your boat MasterT - Just saying, don't be surprised if you turn off a lot of the forum members here :)

Lovely.

You may get flagged FYI.

I agree lilbean - trying to be nice and informative. This forum is intended to help others and connect with one another - not a platform to promote yourself :)

Yep.

Triggerplz | 17 januari 2017

Would I use that code?? Lilbean I bet you already know what's coming :-) https://imgur.com/a/GYiX0

burdogg | 17 januari 2017

Lets see - without clicking, a certain celebrity with a face that matches the saying??

lilbean | 17 januari 2017

Haha!

maLEEgic | 17 januari 2017

We got the 5 seat configuration specifically because the seats fold down. We expect to take trips and wanted the room. We are very happy and have had no problems.

PartyOf5 | 18 januari 2017

Based on the advice I got here we went with a 6 seat set-up instead of 7 and have zero regrets. When we picked up our X there was a 7 seat X on show room floor and there is just so little space in 3rd row. Might even be less room compared to my Commander.

I had to sit in 3rd row on Monday and the missing middle seat let me stretch my legs out. FWIW I'm 5'5"

MhoPower | 18 januari 2017

I got the 5-seater and feel the need to defend it. I agree with the comment "it depends on what you were expecting". My expectation was to have more storage space and 2nd-row seats that fold flat (I'm looking forward to sleeping back there at some point :-)) so my expectations were met fully. I bought the car for functionality over visual aspects so things like the large (and VERY easily accessible) lever to fold the 2nd-row seats down does not bother me at all...

But as has been mentioned, look at the 5-seater yourself (now that you can) and make sure it meets your needs. My son is in college so I have little need for car seats so have not looked at how they would work in a 5-seater. So far I've spent 100% of my miles in the driver's seat :-)

burdogg | 18 januari 2017

Good input MohPower - it also depends on what you need too - if you plan on sleeping back there - then it is what it is and you need the 5 seater :) One person calls my baby ugly, another calls her beautiful - it is all perspective. Best bet if you don't need more than 5 seats is to go look at the 5 or 6 seater and determine what you like the look of best. :)

Saxman | 18 januari 2017

I'm with you Moh...

The 5 seater a perfect choice for my wife & I empty nesters., with a white Lab. Almost celebrating its 1 month anniversary and I've been only driver and no 2nd row passengers YET.

WE also needed fold down seats.

So far, so good.

poloX | 18 januari 2017

If only they can give the third row at least another 6" of leg room, then and only then....otherwise, the 3rd row in both the 6&7 seat configs is the only feature that I would give an F in the design of the MX. You can get almost get away by sitting at 45 deg anger in the 6 seater by putting your legs in the center area between the 2 seats in the 2nd row but still. really poor design there in my opinion. Don't mean to offense anyone with my comment. Just does not meet my taste.

MasterT | 18 januari 2017

@PoloX - except minivans, most SUVs are like that. My Mercedes-Benz GLS-450 is huge, does not have the teardrop, and even longer than Model X by 4" but still, 3-rd row is very cramped.

I think if you want comfortable 3'rd row, you got to go with mini vans, otherwise, 3-rd row is there for situations when you absolutely must fit more than 5 people. That's one of the reasons I went with the 7 seater because I know that 3rd row will almost always be folded flat.

Tesla referral code: get $1,000.00 off of your Tesla by using my referral link (http://ts.la/val2313)

poloX | 18 januari 2017

MasrerT, my MDX 3rd row was much better. Much better, I might repeat. But not my point. My point is not to compare with other cars. It is useless and just waiting material and space but costs more. Just does not make sense. Why not move it back by 6", yes, it would be a trade off between cargo or passengers but at least when you need to carry passengers, you can. Cargo has other solution.

jRoGville | 18 januari 2017

I know what you mean, poloX. I also don't think that 3rd row is very practical, but if you move the 3rd row back any further, you wouldn't have enough headroom. I sat back there with my legs between the 2nd row seats and my head just fit under the hatch door glass. Any further back and my neck would be bent. I agree that 6 inches would make a big difference, but you would have to lengthen the car by that much.

Pages