Forums

How concerned are you about the negative impact of Trump on science

How concerned are you about the negative impact of Trump on science

I know we have discussed this topic to varying degrees. This editorial from the British Medical Journal raises extreme concern about the negative impact of Trump on Medical Science and Science in general. Tesla is all about science and thus I post this to provoke more discussion.
http://www.bmj.com/content/356/bmj.j775

redacted | 26 februari 2017

Tesla is more about engineering than science. It may support research, but the vast majority of what it does is application. I don't know how it could be a car company without that.

I'm not concerned at all about the effect of Trump on science. It seems to me we're like a team of horses, one of them has gotten spooked by a shadow and now there's a whole fearful stampede.

SCCRENDO | 26 februari 2017

Tesla has done a remarkable job in the engineering field. However the mission statement of Tesla and Solar City is related to climate science and the environment. The article specifically states concern about data coming out of the EPA being censored. Judging by Elon being a Trump advisor I don't believe Trump will be specifically anti EV. But I do believe that his interest probably extends only as far as it being a US based company that employs US labor and fossil fuel companies, oil companies etc will also get the same incentives or lack of punitive measurements as Tesla or any EV company would get.

Bighorn | 26 februari 2017

I was reading excerpts today from a former biology professor's lecture about this subject and he points out that the left is also guilty of science denial when it comes to the safety of genetically modified foods. So while there is a lot to ridicule over the denial of science regarding climate change, vaccinations and the age of the earth, ignorance is not entirely monopolized by crazy evangelicals.

rxlawdude | 26 februari 2017

@Big, and vaccines, too.

IgnoranceBliss | 26 februari 2017

Who cares what the Brits think? They love to see us flounder.
Besides, where has Trump ever indicated to be anti-science? Just because he does not drink the AGW Kool-aid?
Trump is Pro-America, Pro-Business, and Pro-Success.
Yes he is quirky and unusual, in fact downright immature and unprofessional at times, but he wants to see the U.S. restore it's status which we have lost over the last decade.
Just the fact he engaged Musk as an advisor confirms his utilization of bright minds to achieve that goal.

@rx
Yes, good point--equal opportunity for the angst ridden of either bent.

carlk | 26 februari 2017

In case of vaccine it's not from the left.

carlk | 26 februari 2017

@IgnoranceBliss Everyone wants America to be great. It's just there are different idea of what great is.

carlk | 26 februari 2017

For example every citizen in a great country should not be worried about having good medical care. No?

Trump is troubling on so many fronts. Another trigger happy draft dodger, to boot.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/politics-government/article135064074.html

carlk | 26 februari 2017

Bighorn Alll I know is Democrats controled Califonia has just passed a law that let school to bar any students from attending unless they have proof of vacination.

@carl
There are a similar number of wackadoodles from either side of the political spectrum--fortunately not enough to hobble public health legislation.

carlk | 26 februari 2017

That's the wish but you're too optimistic on that.

@carlk - Yes, and quality health care is, and always has been, available in this country... to everybody, regardless of health insurance, if that is what you are referring to. Nobody was ever denied treatment if needed prior to obamacare.

But the crap loaded into the ACA is doing nothing to improve healthcare, in fact it creates obstacles, distractions from patient care, and ridiculous hurdles that adds costs that are passed on to the consumer. Remember Pelosi... "You have to pass it to see what's in it".

Unlike prior liberal presidents, Trump is a business mind and not a politician, and that is what got him elected. He will only look to "fix" what is wrong with the current system, and leave the few parts that work intact.

As a newly retired physician who last year suffered the consequence of getting my healthcare through the marketplace, I am pretty confident I have a better handle on this than most.

carlk | 26 februari 2017

@IgnoranceBliss

Loaded with talking points but where are substances in your argument? What exactly is wrong with ACA and what exactly Republican is going to do to make it better. I don't think you have the faintest idea because no one has that plan other than to make it to have less coverage for some.

You are very wrong on that everyone could get medical care before the Obamacare too. There were many who could not get insurance they could afford or even insurance at all before the Obamacare that mandates coverage for pre-existing conditions. If you're not working or your employer does not provide insurance and you got medical issues more serious than what emergency could treat then you're totally out of luck.

Of course the best and most efficient universal medical care system is single payer system which pretty much every developed country is having. Our very efficient "government run" (get it?) Medicare system is that too. Unfortunately Republican's plan is not only not going that direction but on the contrary is going the opposite direction. Very sad for the country.

RedShift | 26 februari 2017

Support for the ACA is at an all time high.

SO | 26 februari 2017

@ignorancebliss - when you say anyone could get healthcare prior to Obamacare, that is partially true. Yes, anyone that comes in off the street and goes to the ER, would get help by law. But for many issues beyond that (including cases of cancer), if you didn't have insurance....well....good luck.

That sir, is a HUGE difference.

SO | 26 februari 2017

Also remember that the current state of the ACA is NOT what the final goal is. A single payer system is the correct choice. Yes, there are problems with Medicare that need to be improved.

But what do private insurance companies do for the patient? All they do is shuffle money around while they take their cut. Please tell us one benefit that the insurance companies can do that Medicare cannot?

Mel. | 26 februari 2017

Bush was so wonderful because he was a pilot in the national guard.

SO_S90D - You are so ignorant, right up there with carlk.

Private insurance provides the real dollars so that our healthcare system can stay open. You think that Medicare, Medicaid, and whatever crap Single-payor system you cherish will cover the costs?

Ever hear of formulary restrictions? The cheaper the coverage the less access to current non-generic meds.

Tell me since the ACA your insurance coverage has improved, by offering more coverage at less of a premium or final cost to you.

carlk - You and So_S90D need to go to Canada or Europe right now. You know nothing about the behind-the-scenes of healthcare, but only repeat what has been spoon-fed to you by morons.

Health insurance coverage does not equal healthcare. Not just emergency room care, but all care has been available to anyone, perhaps not at the nice facilities you can go to with your private insurance. Should everyone be entitled to drive a Tesla?

There are federal, state, and county funded health resources for all medical needs, even for cancer.... even for undocumented immigrants. The care is given, only the facilities and providers do not get paid... I have done this for years.

The obstacles placed by the ACA, CMS, and the Joint Commission all add obstacles and costs to the system that cost billions, resulting in less dollars available for direct patient care.... That's a fact, ask any nurse, doctor, or hospital admin you know.

You think the VA health system is the model for the country.... you must to think a single-payor system is best.

Medicare is not a healthcare system, but a very low payor, that if was to be expanded to cover all US citizens would immediately grind to halt any medical advancement and pharmaceutical research, which is funded by private insurance paying for non-generic drugs.

This is a Tesla forum, so stick to talking about Tesla and other insignificant topics like AGW and such, cause you know nothing about healthcare other than what you have been poisoned with.

No wonder there is a topic about bashing you.

Dwdnjck@ca | 26 februari 2017

I am more concerned about the impact of Trump on the economy and, of course, democracy.

Dramsey | 26 februari 2017

Not terribly worried. The only impact the current administration could have "on science" is the impact any administration would have: deciding how to spend Federal funding on science. Privately funded science will continue on its way, as will, I imagine, most Federally-funded science.

For those interested in exactly what the Feds _do_ fund, I offer this interesting site:

https://www.aaas.org/page/historical-trends-federal-rd

Al1 | 26 februari 2017

I think Trump's impact on economy will be mostly positive. Unless he starts pouring billions into nonsense like clean coal or hydrogen.

Trade wars? Not concerned. Let others be concerned.

Democracy? I hope US democracy is strong enough. This includes strong independent court and strong independent media.

Science? Government need to have minimal impact on science. Hope it will remain so.

Al1 | 26 februari 2017

Having said that I support what EPA has been doing and will oppose repeal of ACA without thoughtful replacement.

SCCRENDO | 26 februari 2017

@ignorance. Private insurance provides nothing. They take the dollars out of the system to enrich their CEOs. They deny needed medications to cut costs. The only competition they provide is in denying care or needed medications.
@Dramsey and @AI1. Funding is one thing. However the point of the link was to show concern about suppression of information that does not fit the Trump agenda