Forums

New delivery process for Model 3

New delivery process for Model 3

In this video @ ~5 minutes mark, from the Model3 Owner Club. Discussion on Tesla making high quality video so owners can learn about the car before taking delivery to shorten the delivery process from 2 hours to 20-30 minutes.

youtube = _abtHw5mR78

jefjes | 18 maart 2017

The 5 minutes (Elon eludes to) is unrealistic unless the buyer is a previous owner of the exact model car they are buying so don't need to do much in the way of sitting in or test driving the car. Even the 20-30 minutes will be pushing it for me unless they have previously provided me with opportunity to drive and get a feel of how well the car will fit me and my purpose. If they do that ahead of time, then the delivery process could be trimmed down to a visual inspection and signing event which will still take me more than 5 minutes to do.

Carl Thompson | 18 maart 2017

As someone pointed out in another thread it would take much longer than 5 minutes just to inspect the car and make sure there are no scratches, dings, rattles or other problems.

Carl

jefjes | 18 maart 2017

@Carl
I saw the other post after I had already posted the above comment. It's nice to know so many agree.

dchuck | 19 maart 2017

i recently finished reading Ashlee Vance's book on Elon and one of the things that struck me is that he always starts timelines with a best case scenario. What is the absolute minimum time a process should take and strive for that number.

I think if you asked him he would say the delivery process SHOULD take 5 minutes. 2 minutes to check and sign the paperwork, 2 minutes to once over the car, and 1 minute to give the new owner the key, shake their hand and for them to drive off the lot. Anything else is just wasting time.

Of course it will take longer, but the right amount of time is up to the individual person. For me Trevor Page has it about right, 10-20 minutes is all i need. With the vast majority of that time inspecting the car and making sure everything works.

M3forMe | 19 maart 2017

I would love to get it done in less than 30 minutes not like 2+ hours for the traditional dealership BS. 10 minutes to finish the paperwork and the rest to go over the car.

krissu | 19 maart 2017

Yeah all the fans here, you all would know about the car everything before it's even produced. I'm on my third and last S, only thing at handover was to get the key and start driving! Very easy to put editorial on screen, but of course nice to smell your new car with someone giving a speech in backround.

getsolarizednow | 19 maart 2017

If you live further than 125 miles from a service center will they deliver to your door? ,, for a price of course say $1,000.

mntlvr23 | 19 maart 2017

@getsolarizednow -
Here is the Tesla policy on that:
https://www.tesla.com/support/taking-delivery

mntlvr23 | 19 maart 2017

160 miles is when they will ship it - but you can ask

jefjes | 19 maart 2017

Darn, google maps has me at 119 miles and 2 hours away from my nearest Tesla store/dealer/service center. Guess that means I'll have to make a minimum of 2 trips there to get my car. First to test drive one and see how well one fits me, when one becomes available to do so, and back again for the inspection and signing when mine comes in. That is of course if the first trip goes well. If not, the second trip will not be needed.

JayInJapan | 20 maart 2017

It takes no time at all to deliver a car. My MS was brought to my home in a truck built for carrying two cars (another was delivered before mine). The driver showed me how to start the car, and I signed the papers. I did my walk around later when I had time. I had a sensor issue and a goofy door handle. A ranger took care of both during a visit. YMMV

tstolz | 20 maart 2017

This delivery process is a short-term thing of course ... just the next few years. Once we hit L5 the cars will self deliver. The way Elon is outlining the process is good .. my MS came to me on a truck to rural Alberta. Unloaded it, signed the paperwork .. done.

jefjes | 20 maart 2017

The delivery sounds great but unless I've previously test drove a version of the model I'm buying, no thanks. In the case of being over 160 miles from a store being a requirement for delivery, won't work for many nor do I think that will work early in the M3 roll out due to volume.

pavel | 20 maart 2017

I'm really torn on this. On one end I don't want the delivery experience to be neglected and rushed (Buying a car after all, not a pack of gum). On the other hand, I doubt that there will be anything I need "explained".
Tesla needs the perfect balance between spending as little time on a delivery so that it's an efficient process overall, but also not rushing reservation holders to sign paperwork and move along (dealership model much ?).
They will just need to bite the bullet and brace up for a huge spike in customer service demand.

CraigW | 20 maart 2017

Anyone who lives near an existing Tesla owner can probably get a private test drive. Most all owners I talk to are anxious to 'spread the word'. For those that haven't driven a Tesla, it only takes about a 10min ride to tell you are driving something very different. For Leaf & other EV owners, they don't even need that much time, as they already understand what EV is about.

It think the U-Tube concept is not only the future, but a very good idea about getting people more familiar with the look & feel of operating a Tesla. This car takes less learning and less adjustment, because it was designed with the user interface in mind. There were no preconceived ideas about how a car should be handled.

This is a car, after all, but you don't have to start/stop/lock/unlock it What you do have to do is largely intuitive and you will adjust - almost on your first drive. The biggest problem for ICE drivers is that you will have to unlearn some things, not learn new things.

The new owners that I talk to all want to get in the car and go 'someplace' as soon as they take delivery of the car. The expanded 'Ranger' program - implemented to reduce stress on the service facilities - is likely to make new owners more than happy.