Forums

Sedan sales...used to be 60%, Now it´s down to below 30%

Sedan sales...used to be 60%, Now it´s down to below 30%

In Scandinavia it´s below 10%..... in regards to sales of sedans.
Its that tragic ! Some will conclude, its insane.

Efontana | 18 maart 2017

Yeah, fuel economy/battery range the coefficient of drag, frontal area and velocity squared (or something like that). When one makes a vehicle tall, frontal area goes up and it gets weird looking to reduce drag. I think that is why VW calls their electric station wagons (estate cars) SUVs.

For decent range SUVs need more batteries.

andy.connor.e | 18 maart 2017

As the average person starts to own more and more stuff, they need more and more storage space in order to move things around. The sedan is slowly becoming less practical for those materialists.

Carl Thompson | 18 maart 2017

andy.connor.e:
"As the average person starts to own more and more stuff, they need more and more storage space in order to move things around. The sedan is slowly becoming less practical for those materialists."

I never looked at it that way but that's probably true.

Carl

jefjes | 18 maart 2017

Thus the minivan was born. Still a useful vehicle when such is needed but why burn all that fuel and take up that much space on day to day transportation unless you are a soccer mom with 3-4 kids and a couple dogs? That is why an electric 4 door small sedan will probably work for 90% of the average person's driving needs and they still rent other vehicles for the occasional 10% it may not.

topher | 19 maart 2017

Tesla managed to keep the same drag coefficient between the S and X. If they could do the same with the 3 and the Y that would be great. Obviously the frontal area needs to be higher in X and Y. For the Y, they just reverse the priorities that went into the 3, range and rear seat headroom, vs rear cargo and hatch.

Thank you kindly.

andy.connor.e | 19 maart 2017

Model 3 was supposed to have the lowest drag coefficient of any sedan. But all in all, if you have a family of 4 or 5, Model 3 probably is not in your size needs. As would a ford focus, or toyota corolla.

FREE ENERGY | 19 maart 2017

Stop press, Model 3 is larger than both BMW 3-series and Audi A4 !

tstolz | 19 maart 2017

400,000 pre orders ... popular enough I guess.

bmalloy0 | 19 maart 2017

And if gas prices hit $4/gal again, I'm betting that the proportions flip again.

johndoeeyed | 19 maart 2017

Which is why Tesla will be pushing the Model Y ASAP after bedding in Model 3 production.

Carl Thompson | 19 maart 2017

bmalloy0:
"And if gas prices hit $4/gal again, I'm betting that the proportions flip again."

Darn Obama for bringing gas prices so low! Back up to near $5 like under Bush!

EaglesPDX | 19 maart 2017

"Darn Obama for bringing gas prices so low! Back up to near $5 like under Bush!"

I'd credit Bush II and the Great Recession for that.

andy.connor.e | 20 maart 2017

I'd credit the credit to the creditor who credited my credit for the credit i credited on my accredited credit of credit.