Forums

Reservation Deposit Refund

Reservation Deposit Refund

I cancelled my Model 3 reservation a few weeks ago. Does anyone know how long it takes for Tesla to refund my deposit? Thanks.

Carl Thompson | 22 april 2017

But you were so close to it! ;-)

Sorry to hear you canceled. Not sure how long it will take but you could give them a call and ask.

Carl

Frank99 | 22 april 2017

IMHO, it shouldn't take any longer than it took them to charge your card in the first place, but corporate finance departments don't see things my way.

Several others on here have reported their refund status, and they tend to stop posting after 2-3 weeks. My assumption is they stop posting once they receive their refund, so you're likely close.

avesraggiana | 23 april 2017

@Carl Thompson. Thanks for the suggestion. At the very least I’ll email them or use their live chat line. No regrets cancelling. I DO regret taking a test drive in a Model S, “just to see what a Model 3 might be like.” Catastrophic mistake. I ended up buying one. If I’m ever able to afford another Tesla, it will have to be nothing less than another Model S.

@Frank 99. Thanks for the tip. It’s only been about three weeks, so, any day now.

KP in NPT | 23 april 2017

Haha that's what happens all too often! Congrats @avesraggiana - what did you end up going with?

HockeyEV | 23 april 2017

I can't blame you on that one! when I test drove the S, I said hands down best and coolest car I have ever driven. Did not think about buying one as that 80K price tag brought me to earth real quick. 6 months later now and the price drop of the S75 and rationalizing I am getting closer and closer. i think what it will be for me is in 6 months from now where will the 3 be in production and where is the tax credit. Maybe make the switch then.

@KP in NPT. Thank you very much! It IS the best car I’ve ever driven and by far, THE MOST expensive car I’ve ever purchased, setting me back over twice as much as what I’d ever paid for a car. I bought an S75D, in the blue, glass roof and ultra-white interior. It’s stunning, and I gifted it to my dad for his 86th birthday. He’s been over the moon ever since. Now, I want one for myself, but I’ll have to wait until I can afford one again.

@ HockeyEV. I’m being very partial of course, but I think you’re in the sweet spot to make the switch now...

KP in NPT | 23 april 2017

Nice! That is exactly what I would get now if we were to ever trade our (old blue) 70D. :) Love the blue with white seats.

I want the look for our 3 but I'm not sure we need 2 blue cars. ha. And wow, what an amazing gift! I hope he lets you drive it all you want. ;-)

funcc | 23 april 2017

avesraggiana - I did exactly the same thing. Amazing how driving a Model S just 1 time leads to spending so much money :)

lilbean | 23 april 2017

Congrats! We bought our x without ever seeing a Tesla in person, never test drove one or sat in one. I think that's why the wait was bearable. I didn't know what I was in for.

sosmerc | 23 april 2017

After my first Model S drive I knew it was time to give up the gasser. I also knew I could not (or simply would not) spend what they were asking for any new Tesla. But the Model 3 comes along and that I can justify and afford. But in the meantime, while I wait for the 3, I am getting "warmed up" by enjoying my new Volt. And I think I could have even taken a swing at the Bolt if I didn't travel so much. At least I am moving in the right direction and supporting the cause.

jefjes | 23 april 2017

Almost did that in January but my better half was there to reel me in. Now I'm patiently waiting on my M3. Congrats to your dad! I still end up supporting my (in their 30s) kids so hoping for a gift like that is only fantasy for myself but he is one lucky guy.

Red Sage ca us | 23 april 2017

Yes. The blue with white interior does look wonderful. That is what I'd like to get for my Mom, perhaps as a Model X. Then, maybe get it wrapped to the purplish-lavender that would send her over the moon. I know she'll love me forever anyway, but why not?

M3forMe | 23 april 2017

@avesraggiana - Congrats. Your Dad is one lucky man.

accentcreate | 23 april 2017

Yeah! Thanks to all those buying Ss and Xs. You are making the queue shorter for the rest of us. I too would love an S if it were just a bit smaller. Too large for my village and narrow mountain roads.

mntlvr23 | 23 april 2017

@accentcreate - what town do you live near?

Haggy | 24 april 2017

You can probably just have them put the money toward your Model S if that's what you are buying instead.

swingshiftworker | 24 april 2017

I received my refund very promptly in a couple of weeks when I cancelled in Feb.

SUN 2 DRV | 25 april 2017

The Model 3 FAQ says:

Can I cancel my Model 3 reservation?
Yes, you can cancel at anytime. Log in to your Tesla account and you will find a link to cancel. Refunds can take up to three weeks depending on your country of delivery.

biggestfan | 28 april 2017

@avesraggiana - I cancelled my Model 3 reservation. Took a full month to get the deposit back. Glad to hear you like the Model S...

Tesla2018 | 29 april 2017

Im surprised that people who cancel arent selling their their spots in line since there is a longer wait time for recent orders. When I bought my previous car their was a 2 year backlog but then the manufacturer said that they wouldnt allow it. Think they made it that the name on the order had to mstch the name that the car was titled too. Guess having to pay the taxes and registation on the ourchase and

Tesla2018 | 29 april 2017

then having the person who wanted your spot pay them again wouldnt make it worthwhile.

Frank99 | 29 april 2017

Tesla has said that reservations aren't transferable, which kinda puts a damper on the market for selling places in line. I'm sure they'll be a bit flexible - perhaps your kids will be permitted to purchase a Model 3 that you reserved - but it's unlikely that your neighbor will be.

ebmcs03 | 29 april 2017

How do they refund you? Back to the initial Credit Card you used to pay or mail you a physical check?

cchouston | 29 april 2017

Cancelled one reservation and kept another. With the refund going toward a deposit on an S100D. It took exactly three weeks to get the refund, which was credited back to my credit card.

swingshiftworker | 3 mei 2017

emchang | April 29, 2017 asked:

"How do they refund you? Back to the initial Credit Card you used to pay or mail you a physical check?"

They just post a refund to the credit card you used, like any other vendor would.

mahantelman | 22 juni 2017

At this point, I just hit 7 weeks since submitting for a refund. An email and 2 calls over the last several weeks didn't get much information except that they are behind, and it sounds like I shouldn't even be looking for a check (they said they mail paper checks since it had been over a year) until early July. Nine weeks seems a bit excessive, especially for a US refund...

Frank99 | 22 juni 2017

I've said it on other threads, and I'll say it here: This is a completely unacceptable way to deal with customers.

eeb9 | 22 juni 2017

Every second they can hang onto that deposit is a bit of interest income.

Their bean-counters are likely looking at every possible way to keep the $$$ in their hands to the vestry last possible instant.

They are a for-profit company, after all.

Though I do agree that I *expect* different/better from them, just because, well, they're *Tesla* FFS

me | 22 juni 2017

@mahantelman I'm in the exact same boat. 7 weeks since I cancelled and no word. Not cool.

david.jones24 | 22 juni 2017

7 weeks?! Ouch. Well, even more reason to wait for the final reveal. ;)

I.moo | 26 juni 2017

9 weeks here, absolutely unacceptable.

swingshiftworker | 28 juni 2017

Could the current delays in receiving refunds reported in this thread and in others be due to a backlog of cancellation requests?

Just 10-15k cancellations out of 300k reservations (3-5%) would certainly back things up "big league" (or is it "bigly?). LOL!

Just wondering . . .

Frank99 | 28 juni 2017

Possible.
Someone said that, because the reservations were more than a year ago, Tesla was mailing checks rather than crediting cards. Perhaps the relatively constant rate of refunds hit a big wall in terms of how long it took Tesla to process them right around April 1 of this year, and our friends here are seeing the results of that. Let's hope Tesla figures out how to solve the problem....

jefjes | 29 juni 2017

Maybe they are hoping that people will change their mind about cancelling after the final reveal so they are dragging their feet on the refunds.

dsvick | 29 juni 2017

I'm not sure you can read much into how long it is taking people to get their deposits back. IIRC they had issues with slow refunds even relatively early after the first reveal.

SUN 2 DRV | 29 juni 2017

jefjes: That's an interesting idea... After the next reveal there may be people who cancelled begging Tesla to reinstate their place in line.

Owner2015 | 29 juni 2017

Yes the tesla is fun for a few months but when you have to live with it on the long journies and the regular trips to the service centre to have all the faulty parts replaced to ask for tyres that they don't stock and have range issues every week due to chargers always being full and missing meeting due to extended waiting times. Yes they look ok but it's the biggest motering regret I have had yet. Getting out of tesla before they sink underneath the debt bubble.

Mr.Tesla | 29 juni 2017

LOL @ ferretguy

Drama time!

KP in NPT | 29 juni 2017

ferranteguy is a troll. :eyeroll:

Frank99 | 29 juni 2017

Oh, man, ferret. We've seen trolls here that were 10 times the troll you are. You're so bad it it that it's almost funny - like watching the Gong Show.

It's been a bit tense around here as everyone is getting antsy for the final reveal and the Design Studio to open. Please hang around to help break the tension and give us something to laugh over.

SamO | 30 juni 2017

Dearest Ferret-face,

Please try more derp. But don't just try the same thing and expect a different result. That's the definition of insanity.

+1 Frank99

dsvick | 30 juni 2017

If you're going to troll you should at least be original and come up with something on your own. Did you just google "Tesla complaints" and pick the top ones?

ReD eXiLe ms us | 30 juni 2017

~*sigh*~ Highlight. Right click. Select 'Hide Posts from User'. ~*ahhh*~

tesla | 2 juli 2017

Cancelled reservation on April 29, still waiting on July 3. Based in New Zealand.

keithaspiro | 2 juli 2017

Hope all these 3 reservationists are ahead of me in line....!!..????

Sarjanlong | 3 juli 2017

Requested my refund on June 6, was told I'd have it within 10 days. Nothing yet.

me | 5 juli 2017

Quick update from my previous post... I received my refunded deposit by check on July 3. 2 months after I first requested to cancel my reservation.

Frank99 | 5 juli 2017

Thanks, me. Glad to hear that you got yours, still disappointed in the delay.

JD in STL | 5 juli 2017

Request: 5 May. Check: 26 June

Pages