Forums

Russia backs Paris Agreement

Russia backs Paris Agreement

http://www.independent.co.uk/environment/russia-paris-agreement-climate-...

So along with California and other US states, China, India, etc. back the Paris Agreement. I believe it is good that those who don't honor agreements exit.
The isolationists become more isolated and eventually vanish.

Real America is going forward along with its allies. Example:

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/Gov-Brown-to-Visit-China-Seeking-Cl...

The Polish city of Katowice to host 2018 UN Climate Change meeting.

http://theworldlink.com/news/world/polish-city-katowice-to-host-un-clima...

The Feds have been played.

Mike83 | 1 juni 2017

President Obama gives some insights. Missing some opportunities is pretty dense.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/obama-paris-climate-trump_us_59306dd...

SCCRENDO | 1 juni 2017

Perhaps Putin will yell at Trump and get him to change his mind.

Mike83 | 1 juni 2017

I think Putin played him. They got the US to offend its EU allies and give Russia more clout. Now we have Russia looking good and the US pretty dumb. The fossil fuel interests behind Trump probably left him so choice even going against the will of the American people. The good news is people are now aware of whats happening.

Bighorn | 1 juni 2017
finman100 | 1 juni 2017

that is so effing apropos. you know with Russia being in OUR US headlines so much these days.

#$cker he is. yes.

What a stupid, stupid man that represents NO ONE.

Get the can of impeachment out and start spraying.

Madatgascar | 1 juni 2017

I think every other country in the world except Syria and Nicaragua support the agreement.

SCCRENDO | 1 juni 2017

@tbouquet. And Nicaragua didn't sign because the accords didn't go far enough.

Mike83 | 1 juni 2017

No matter what. Trump is going to make sure the Kochs and he will get that Keystone pipeline built so they don't lose out in their investments. Other American companies are on their own.

sp_tesla | 1 juni 2017

Mike83 | June 1, 2017
No matter what. Trump is going to make sure the Kochs and he will get that Keystone pipeline built so they don't lose out in their investments. "

They will when due to supply & demand price keep going down to as low as $25/barrel

Mike83 | 1 juni 2017

sp_tesla
Not sure how the oil market will play mid term. But the Paris Agreement has many legal caveats that may take years to play out.
The odd thing is that most companies are already Gung-ho on reduction of Carbon. POTUS decision makes no sense.

RedShift | 1 juni 2017

It makes perfect sense.

It serves to distract us from the potentially damaging Russia investigations.

Guy behaves like he has 1000 things to hide.

Mike83 | 1 juni 2017

It appears Trump is playing checkers while Putin is playing chess. Where's Bobby Fisher?

carlgo2 | 1 juni 2017

Interestingly Russia is an oil country, yet is backing the accord. Hmmm. Part of a broader plot to marginalize Trump and the US, to gain respect in the world? Will be interesting if some of their alleged blackmail cards are dealt out, one at a time, slowly, unpredictably, timed for the most impact...

Mike83 | 1 juni 2017

Russia has weaken NATO and the true Allies of the United States are forming new partners. They won this round and the odd thing is they probably still don't know what happened.

SCCRENDO | 1 juni 2017

I have always mocked other countries when they have had idiotic presidents. Guess we now have a dangerous idiotic president.

rxlawdude | 1 juni 2017

When the Orange-a-tan says "the world won't laugh at us," he's right. More like the world is collectively shaking its head.

SCCRENDO | 1 juni 2017

Unfortunately for the rest of the world he has a worldwide negative footprint. He has the ability to start serious wars and has his stubby fingers near the nuclear codes. And he may have just tweeted out the nuclear codes "COVFEFE"

Mike83 | 1 juni 2017

Along with EM the Disney CEO Roger Igor quits Trump counsels.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-elon-musk-climate-change-20170601-...

Al1 | 1 juni 2017

Interestingly Russia is an oil country, yet is backing the accord.

Putin could only dream about marginalizing United States of America, the way Trump is doing it.

As for Russia it had previously backed Kyoto aligning with France and Germany and against the US.

Kyoto had nothing to do to it. Russia neither planned nor did anything about climate. It is one of the worst polluters if measured against GDP.

As for deals India used to be and I believe still is the biggest buyer of Russian weapon, especially airplanes. However not everything is that great. Russian airplanes are pretty bad when it comes to software, which is up to 40% of the cost of airplane. India also is hoping to move more into production, something Russia is usually resisting, with limited success however. Russia is loosing its leverage, especially as US - India relationships are improving.

Al1 | 1 juni 2017

Very, very bad decision from Trump and his administration.

vp09 | 1 juni 2017

Mike, it was Fischer (not Fisher) and that wasn't his real father anyway.

A note to you all-- Political deals are important, but market forces are more important.

Coal as a fuel will disappear as cheaper alternate sources of energy replace that source, and they are already here. Not because of Climate Accords.

We overestimate the role of "political accords" and underestimate market forces.

Like explaining why the USA entered World War One-- because U-boats sunk the Lusitania 2 years earlier-- or because U-boats cut off USA trade with our chief trading partner, which was not Germany?

Like explaining why the USA invaded the Confederate States in 1861-- because of "slavery"-- or because the South had cut off tariff payments to the federal government (Lincoln: "If the South goes, who will pay for the government?")

vp09 | 1 juni 2017

sank not sunk

Mike83 | 1 juni 2017

Thanks for the correction.

American scientists asked to work with other countries on climate change.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/french-president-macron-invites-us-s...

Al1 | 1 juni 2017

Coal will disappear with Paris or without it, but the damage will be long lasting.

Mike83 | 2 juni 2017

Igor should lay off the Vodka. Too bad for his fossil fuel investments. Perhaps his shorting Tesla isn't working well.
LOL

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-06-02/top-russian-oil-boss-...

Dofpic | 2 juni 2017

I just read that Putin stopped Hillary from campaigning in Wisconsin, Michigan, Pennsylvania, Ohio and Florida. All states Obama won. The fact that he kept her out of Wisconsin entirely is treasonous.

vp09 | 2 juni 2017

Thanks Mike.

I'm all for political treaties, but maybe there were good reasons for our president backing out of this one. Senator Mike Lee expressed some good reasons on yesterday's interview with Judy Woodruff.

rxlawdude | 2 juni 2017

@Dofpic, is that the same operation where Putin stole Trump's little brain?

SCCRENDO | 2 juni 2017

@rxlawdude. He took Dofpics at the same time

Madatgascar | 3 juni 2017

Rest of the world is talking about US like it's a rogue nation. They will start triangulating us off, boycotting or slapping tariffs on American products, hopefully exempting green products like Tesla. Trump's base loves it when he thumbs his nose to the rest of the world, but mark my words, it will cost us dearly.

Just one minor but symbolic example - IOC is about to decide between LA and Paris for the 2024 Olympics.

My money is on Paris.

Remnant | 3 juni 2017

@tbouquet (June 3, 2017)

<< Rest of the world is talking about US like it's a rogue nation ..., but mark my words, it will cost us dearly. >>

So, you have undertaken to threaten the USA in the name of the "Climate Change" conspiracies of the world.

If you are an American at all, you are surely the treasonous type.

You and the other anti-American conspirators on these Forums should be aware that this country still has citizens who oppose any policies that seek to siphon American wealth and jobs abroad, whether under the guise of "Climate Change" or any other robbery or racketeering scheme.

Mike83 | 3 juni 2017
SCCRENDO | 3 juni 2017

@Remnant. What Trump has done is un-American. It is antisocial and anti-Earth. I think you are becoming more intoxicated from inhaling too much Trump turd.

Dramsey | 3 juni 2017

"President Obama gives some insights. Missing some opportunities is pretty dense."

Climate insights from the guy who takes a private jet, flanked by six military jets, and a 14-car motorcade to give a 90-minute speech at a climate conference he was paid over $3 million for?

Climate insights from the man who openly admits that he has "the largest carbon footprint in the world"?

http://www.weeklystandard.com/obamas-carbon-admission-i-have-the-worlds-...

(Of course that was back when he was president. Extra credit: try to think of an excuse he can use now.)

SCCRENDO | 3 juni 2017

@Dramsey. That's pretty lame. It certainly sends a counter message. Yet for a variety of reasons may be necessary. I comparison one only needs to look at the resources and taxpayer money wasted on Trump's weekend jaunts and to having his wife and son living in New York. So lets not get distracted fro the real issue. A denier president turning his back on a major climate change agreement and for you guys who can only think in terms of dollars and cents a major potential loss of green jobs in this country
http://nbcnews.to/2syE1mx

Dofpic | 3 juni 2017

@SCC why do you always stoop to personal attacks just because we disagree?

RXLAWDUDE I think it was Hillary's brain that got affected

Here is a short good read on Paris

https://www.wsj.com/articles/trump-skips-climate-church-1496431295

lilbean | 3 juni 2017

That's his MO.

Mike83 | 3 juni 2017

Pittsburgh isn't Paris? But we all share the atmosphere.
https://www.vox.com/first-person/2017/6/3/15733090/climate-change-pittsb...

Madatgascar | 4 juni 2017

@Remnant, I am an American, despite the French name, but I'm not a treasonous anti-American. (FWIW I am Independent.) I love my country. I have traveled to all but 3 states, and lived over 4 years in Pennsylvania, Illinois, Arizona, California, and New York. I am not threatening, I am reminding us that our relationship with the rest of the world matters, the way Ben Franklin did - though some people thought he was a treasonous anti-American at the time.

Paris doesn't siphon American money to other countries. We lobbied and won protections from that. The US contribution to the operating budget was a mere $15M; Bloomberg just pulled that out of his back pocket. Trump acknowledges the US will continue to fight climate change outside of the agreement. To me, it looks like the main point of withdrawing was to score a punch against globalization in the American political theater, especially with the Pittsburgh vs Paris imagery. All I am saying is: don't be surprised when the rest of the world punches back.

SCCRENDO | 4 juni 2017

@tbouqet. +100.
@Remnant is a giant ignoramous. He is science illiterate and is bigoted against anything foreign. He claims to base his opinions on the constitution which he understands about as well as Trump does.

Mike83 | 6 juni 2017
Remnant | 6 juni 2017

@tbouquet (June 4, 2017)

<< I am an American, ... not a treasonous [one]. ... Paris doesn't siphon American money to other countries. We ... won protections from that. ... To me, it looks like the main point of withdrawing was to score a punch against globalization in the American political theater, ... don't be surprised when the rest of the world punches back. >>

Thank you for clarifying your position. Climate Change is a misleading disguise for the failed AGW hypothesis. The creation of a global treaty-like context to it cannot be an honest enterprise. The very distribution of the financial burdens is evidence of its anti-American bias. There is no evidence that we have been protected against it.

Yes, we might have to confront the ire of the M&M gangsters, but, then, what's new to that? They had been ready to strike even before the withdrawal.

http://www.freecriticalthinking.org/climate-change/123-anthropogenic-glo...

Dofpic | 6 juni 2017

@Remnant. Thanks for the link. Some inconvenient facts...I sure you are likely to be attacked now by the usual subjects.

RedShift | 6 juni 2017

Why do you guys always talk about liberals 'attacking' you? The science is science. You guys don't side with it. Then you blame others for pointing it is ignorant not to be in the side of science?

grow the fuck up.

RedShift | 6 juni 2017

BTW, it took me all of 2 minutes of reading the so called 'free, ctritical thinking' link.

Typical arguments that have been debunked over and over.

Here is a simple factoid for you : if deniers were right, majority scientific opinion would have suded with them. It is not. This is about science. Imperfect as it might be, the vast amount of data in this subject invariably points to human causes for the warming climate. It's not politics, religion or any darn thing. It affects both liberals and conservatives equally.

SCCRENDO | 6 juni 2017

@Remnant and @Dofic. The data on the satellite measurements off temperatures in the trophosphere were published by Christie and Spenser. This is Mitch's Roy Spenser of intelligent design fame who also believes the earth is only 6000 years old and is also President Trump's climate change advisor.

Their temp data were lower than the general consensus and was due to an error. 4 corrections were made to their original data. However the link you clicked onto used the original uncorrected data. Here is the simplest scientific link I could find for you guys.
https://www.skepticalscience.com/satellite-measurements-warming-troposph...

And also this
https://www.gfdl.noaa.gov/bibliography/related_files/tmlw0602.pdf

Mike83 | 7 juni 2017

Justification for burning fossil fuels must use pseudo science which is so easily debunked. The lawsuits will weed this out along with the straw-man arguments and scapegoating. Historically the truth will be shone brightly on the fossil fuel deniers.(those who deny fossil fuel burning causes AGW) Fortunately all the world including Americans are not fooled by these con artists.

finman100 | 7 juni 2017

it's not attacking if yer too dense to know better. wow. way to go education system! I think REAL scientists have it covered. please move on with your 'beliefs'. FYD2017

Remnant | 7 juni 2017

@SCCRENDO (June 6, 2017)

<< The data on the satellite measurements off temperatures in the trophosphere were published by Christie and Spenser. This is Mitch's Roy Spenser of intelligent design fame who also believes the earth is only 6000 years old and is also President Trump's climate change advisor. >>

AGW – especially in its alarmist guise – is not just a hoax, it's a fraud, an instance of galloping multinational racketeering and irresponsible Apocalypse mongering. You must also accept the hard truth that your kind of mind will never gain access to scientific truths and methods.

As to your statements about John Christy and Roy Spencer, they must be classified as libelous defamations.

Further, your habitual misspelling is getting to be quite annoying. It makes you look even more impaired than you are. You should consider enrolling in a course of English as a Second Language, in order to learn a bit of proper spelling (it's troposphere, Christy, and Spencer – rather than trophosphere, Christie, and Spenser) or at least practice some cut-and-paste when you run into terms and names new to you or that you don't understand.

Pages