Forums

Service

Service

I live in the Memphis area (yes, Elvis is dead) and was wondering about the annual service.
Seems like much of this could be handled by third party garages except for the battery coolant.

Tire rotation, wiper blades for example.

Was wondering about cost also.

As far as maintenance charges, I was looking at model s/x and the cost is ridiculous.

1 yr 12500
drive fluid service
Ken fob battery. Lol
Multi point inspection
Tire rotation
Wheel alignment
Wiper blade replacement
$475

2 years 25000
A/C desiccant bag replacement...... what is a desiccant bag?
Ken fob battery. Lol
Multi point inspection
Tire rotation
Wheel alignment ???
Wiper blade replacement
Cabin filter
Brake fluid replacement
$725

I would imagine these fees will be greatly reduced for the model 3, hope so.

TeslaTap.com | 27 augustus 2017

For the model 3, probably will be lower cost. The S/X prices are in line with other premium vehicles in that class.

Keep in mind these services are optional and do not generally affect the warranty. Now if an annual service would have detected something wrong, and you skipped it, and it caused a larger problem, Tesla has the option of not covering the additional damage under warranty. I've never heard of this happening, but it is a small factor.

A rather poor example for the Tesla - if the brakes were worn down, and the annual service would have detected it and Tesla would have replaced them free. Instead you skipped the service/inspection and went another year and the brakes wore to the point it damaged the rotors, Tesla could make you pay for the rotors.

You could skip all of the annual maintenances, do one every other year, or do ones every year. To me the multi-point inspection is the most important, as it checks for unusual wear or something that may need adjustment. Consider it a wise safety check. Some will want it, while others don't care.

You can also do some of the listed items yourself or through a third-party mechanic, but they are not going to be familiar with the Tesla, and may not know what to look for or check. The ODB port will also be of zero value, while Tesla's service will connect up either by cellular or the diagnostics port and look a the logs for any found issues.

Lastly, some lease arrangements require you to do the annual maintenance. Check your lease if this is a requirement and you plan to skip the vehicles maintenance.

TeslaTap.com | 27 augustus 2017

A/C desiccant bag or receiver/drier:

They act as a temporary storage containers for oil and refrigerant when neither are needed for system operation (such as during periods of low cooling demand). This is the “receiver” function of the receiver/drier.

Most receiver/driers contain a filter that can trap debris that may be inside the A/C system.

Receiver/driers contain a material called desiccant. The desiccant is used to absorb moisture (water) that may have gotten inside the A/C system during manufacture, assembly or service. Moisture can get into the A/C components from humidity in the air. This is the “drier” function of the receiver/drier.

stevenmaifert | 27 augustus 2017

Tesla will honor the new car warranty even if you never take the car in for maintenance. If you never take the car in, you miss out on the Service Bulletin fixes; some of which are aimed at replacing parts with emergent reliability issues. If you plan on keeping the car beyond the new car warranty period and plan on purchasing the Extended Service Agreement, sometimes erroneously referred to as the extended warranty, you will be required to have the car serviced at the Tesla recommended intervals.

hsadler | 27 augustus 2017

Seems that at the beginning of the MS service they were checking on bolt torqueing (torqueage?) which had been a problem. Might be part of the 'multi point inspection'.

garyjtate | 27 augustus 2017

Considering I would have to drive over 200 miles to the tesla service garage, think i will most of the service done locally...
What concerns me is battery coolant and checking the battery.

Can you go in for annual service and specify what you want done? for example, bayberry fluid, multipoint inspection.

Tesla has promised an expansion of their Service Center organization. A year from now, you may have a service center closer to home.

This is what they currently do at the various service intervals: https://www.tesla.com/support/maintenance-plans I don't know if they would allow you to pick and choose and still quality that as "annual maintenance".

cafutter | 27 augustus 2017

Remember the service listed above is once per year. For an ICE car, it is every 3,000 miles or so and costs MUCH more than the above list.

garyjtate | 27 augustus 2017

cafutter
I’ve never paid $475 for a service on any car..... Mini Cooper S for example.
Service (oil change) is every year or 10000 miles on my Honda Civic Touring.

JMobs | 27 augustus 2017

An oil change for my 911 is $350 (every 10k or 1 yr). A oil service on the tranny is $450. Anything other than that is exponentially bigger.

These prices for the Tesla's are in line for the class of car.

BTW, I do not know of any late model ICE car that requires an oil change every 3k miles. Shortest I've seen recently is 6k miles (my Subaru and Corolla were at this interval). New oils do not require changing as frequently as the 90s.

@cafutter - What ICE car has any recommended significant service at 3000 miles? Even oil changes have much longer intervals these days. Sooner or later that chart will be updated to reflect prices for the Model 3. I predict there will be much unhappiness, particularly when compared to the routine maintenance costs for other EVs, which by design, are suppoesed to be miniumum maintenance vehicles, and by extension, minimum cost.

ron369 | 27 augustus 2017

My service charges for my Honda are < $60, and I have taken it in for service twice in the two+ years I have had the car (and I always do it as soon as it is recommended by the car). The Tesla prices seem ridiculously high for what is being offered, but at least for the 1-year service, there doesn't seem to be anything on the list that couldn't be handled by any garage.

Tesla2018 | 27 augustus 2017

My Lotus Elise cost about $400 for an oil change since you have to take the bottom panel off of the car to get to the oil pan and filter. They recommend oil changes every 3000 miles since a lot of people track their cars. This requires removing about a dozen bolts and screws of various sizes. It is a pain to try and realign it and put it back on. To change the air filter, the rear tire has to come off and the fender liner must be removed to access the cover for it. It took me 2 days to get the cover back on by myself since you need to align two hinges that you cant see while one arm is under the wheel well reaching up and the other is reaching down from the engine compartment. And changing a headlight bulb requires removing a wheel well too.

The problem with cars is that the labor time to do things is so long. The engine on a Lexus GS 400 just has a giant plastic cover so you cant see where everything is. My moms Buick has the battery under the passenger seat. However my 81 VW Rabbit Diesel had just a basic engine without any emission control garbage and was so easy to work on. Now it takes twice as long to do work on a car and service costs more since everything is compacted and hard to reach.

rxlawdude | 27 augustus 2017

Note to self: NEVER buy a Lotus. Engineered apparently by the same folks who built the Winchester Mystery House.

The Multi-point inspection involves an open and inspect of many items that are proprietary and unique to Tesla vehicles. Same for the drive units. Before you let "any garage" work on your car, it would be a good idea to ask if they subscribe to Tesla's tech manual service. An annual subscription is only $3000: https://service.teslamotors.com/?_ga=2.157895930.1125039126.1503505956-1...

WELCOME TO TESLA MOTORS SERVICE

@rxlawdude - If you can afford a Lotus, Lotus must figure you can afford the cost of routine maintenance. Hate to say it, but I think a little of that has crept into Tesla pricing philosophy too. That has got to change with the M3.

By the way, where does that staircase lead to?

rxlawdude | 27 augustus 2017

@stevenmaifert, indeed. Staircase? What staircase?

jordanrichard | 28 augustus 2017

If you think the prices are ridiculous, then don't get the annual services done. Not complicated.

There is however more than what you listed that gets done. They also inspect the brakes, check all the bolts that attach the DU to the car, the suspension, upload any SW updates that perhaps you didn't already get via OTA. It's not a quick in and out $60 oil change on a Honda.

As others have mentioned, they also do any service bulletins. Perfect example, the early designed wiper arms/blades would leave a wide streak on the driver's side and right in your line of right. At the annual service, they only replaced the wiper blades, but both wiper arms, to a newer design which solved the problem. They also replaced an electrical component dealing with battery heating.

Also like others have said, no one knows what the annual service costs will be for the Model 3, but what ever they are, if you don't like them, then don't do the annual service. Just try that with a Honda and see if Honda will still warranty the car when something goes wrong.

ron369 | 28 augustus 2017

If the prices are not ridiculous, then people should stop spreading the false rumor that electric cars are cheaper to maintain. The Tesla schedule for maintenance is far higher than I have paid for any of my cars (Lexus, Toyota, Honda).

jefjes | 28 augustus 2017

rxlawdude-

"Note to self: NEVER buy a Lotus. Engineered apparently by the same folks who built the Winchester Mystery House."

LMAO!!!

garyjtate | 28 augustus 2017

ron369
"...then people should stop spreading the false rumor that electric cars are cheaper to maintain."

Tesla you mean?

lol

jordanrichard | 28 augustus 2017

Ron369, again, the annual service is optional. Was the scheduled maintenance on your Lexus optional? Also what keeps getting lost in this discussion is that nothing in the Tesla annual services deals with any warranties items, hence why you can skip it.

Tires are not covered by the BTB warranty, so if you wanted to you can skip the rotations. Brakes, well they certainly are not going to fail because you didn't flush out the brake fluid at the 2 year mark. Battery coolant, I highly doubt your battery pack is going to fail because the coolant didn't get changed. Nothing is going to fail if you don't change out the cabin air filter, wiper blades, etc.

garyjtate | 29 augustus 2017

jordanrichard

Good points

ReD eXiLe ms us | 29 augustus 2017

garyjtate: I'm pretty sure that Tesla only uses the word 'cheaper' in relation to the cost of Supercharging as compared to the price of gasoline.

When it comes to Service and Maintenance, Tesla's claim is that electric vehicles would require less regular maintenance as compared to ICE vehicles, and that they will not use their Service Centers as a profit center.

That does not mean that Service will be either nonexistent or low cost at all on Tesla's electric cars. But, as pointed out by jordanrichard, it is also not mandatory or required. The point is that with an ICE vehicle the maintenance is required and that Tesla's pricing is in line with that of the vehicles it competes with directly from Acura, Alfa Romeo, AUDI, BMW, Cadillac, Chrysler, Infiniti, Jaguar, Lexus, Lincoln, and Mercedes-Benz. So, not price gouging at all.

PhillyGal | 29 augustus 2017

We skipped year 1 service but brought our S in for the second year service. I think it was $600 at the time. But Tesla decided to preemptively charge a multi-thousand dollar part of the car (a major part!) because they thought they heard a sound and some cars built around when mine was had a problem with it.

The service was well worth it.

change* not charge. Big typo.

gar1116 | 29 augustus 2017

Can Tesla service do state inspections? We in Pa have to get a safety inspection with our yearly registration (Emissions to HAHAHAHA). Is Tesla certified for inspections?

@gar - Tesla can NOT do inspections in PA. They are certified in other states from what I understand.

My first inspection had to be done within x days of getting the car. We took it up to a small town garage that my father in law's friend owns. He didn't lift the car but passed it with just a visual and by learning it was 2 weeks old.

Second inspection we brought it to a BMW dealership near the only Tesla service center around, since they had experience.

This recent annual we said screw it and brought it to the Toyota dealership right outside of hubs' work place. They treated the car with extreme care and we will likely to back in the future.

And no, you don't have to pay for or get an emissions sticker.

JMobs | 29 augustus 2017

@gar1116, it depends on the state. When I lived in MA. Many of the dealerships didn't offer state inspection stations. For example, the Porsche dealership didn't feel it was worth it to offer state inspections. They took it down the street to the service station to accomplish the state inspection when they sold me my car. We have to pay $35 no matter who did it, so I think they felt it wasn't worth the investment.

Might be different in other states.

jordanrichard | 29 augustus 2017

Some states require actual inspections, while others only require emissions check. I am in CT and only an emissions test is required every 2 years. For obvious reasons, my Tesla is exempt.

garyjtate | 29 augustus 2017

Philly gal

The part tesla changed because of a sound, was that under warranty?

@gary - Yes, it's under warranty but my appreciation comes from them doing it before there was a problem, no proof there would for sure be a problem, to keep me from being stranded or having to come back in if it failed since it's a major component.

jordanrichard | 29 augustus 2017

If I may add to PG's appreciation remarks and that is that Tesla could have just kept quiet, like a typical dealership would.

What many people don't know is that dealerships actually make less money doing warranty work than they do post warranty work. The book time for a given item that the car manufacturer will pay a dealership for say a head gasket repair is a lot less than what you as a customer pay. So it benefits the dealership if that "can" gets kicked down the road and then let you know the part needs replacing.

As a perfect example, I know someone who was once a mechanic at a Chevy dealership. He told me that it was routine for them to cut corners if it was a warranty repair. The example he gave me was head gasket jobs. If it was a warranty job, they would literally just lift the head off, scrap off the old gasket, slap on a new one and set the head back done. What should be done is the head needs to be sent out/checked for warpage and if necessary milling.

Yesss!!