Forums

Told to charge only to 90%

Told to charge only to 90%

MX,75, owner for 2 weeks. Was told not to fully charge vehicle when I purchased it. Is there a reason? Thanks

OvrICE | 20 oktober 2017

This topic has been discussed on many occasion on this forum. You might want to do a forum search using volkerize.com and congrats on your new Tesla!

hoffenberg | 20 oktober 2017

Thanks. Did not know you could do a forum search

OvrICE | 20 oktober 2017

Your welcome! Volkerize.com is a work around to the lack of searching ability on this forum. It is not the best in the world but will do in a pinch.

burdogg | 20 oktober 2017

I am not sure where to find it if it is on the X side, the S side has plenty of info on this.

Real quick rundown (it is me, so you are all laughing when I say real quick :)

Normal daily charge - don't go over 90%. Some say 80%. This is due to battery properties and is true of all batteries out there. By not charging to 100%, you increase the life of the battery.

Now that being said, the 100% is there if you need it - just the key is, don't charge to 100% and let it sit - you want to drive it as close to the time it hits 100% as possible. The worse thing to do is charge to 100% at 10:00 at night and not drive it again until 6:00 in the morning. So no, it is not that you can't charge to 100% or that you shouldn't do that either. It is just for everyday - you usually don't want to always be charging to 100%.

Does that help for quick answer? You can find a lot more details on this throughout the forum - especially on the S side as it has been around a lot longer and earlier, so the discussion was hashed out over there. Volkerize.com will help you try to find various things on this.

hoffenberg | 20 oktober 2017

Great answer, thanks. I am excited to be an owner

burdogg | 20 oktober 2017

Welcome to the family by the way! Great car and lots of fun ahead :)

TeslaTap.com | 21 oktober 2017

Glad you're happy with the car! As a new owner, you may want to give this owner's manual companion a read. It's been put together/updated by a number of forum members to answer the most common questions we see time and again from new owners: https://teslatap.com/articles/owners-manual-companion/#JTindex

You can also just jump to the charging section: https://teslatap.com/articles/owners-manual-companion/#charging

LTO2 | 21 oktober 2017

@TeslaTap: Went to TeslaTap.com for the first time, read the post on charging. Very, very helpful. The site, too. Well done. Thanks a bunch.