Forums

San Francisco Superchargers

San Francisco Superchargers

According to https://www.tesla.com/findus?no_cache=1495653583#/superchargers?search=s...

4 superchargers are slated to open in San Francisco by end of 2018. Anyone with insider details know if this is on track? I've seen several dozen Model S and Xs in the city, it's bizarre it has taken Tesla this long to install just one Supercharger in the city.

NoMoPetrol | 2 januari 2018

According to supercharge.info, nothing is permitted or under construction in SF proper.

retiarius | 15 mei 2018

As a San Francisco apartment dweller who has received the M3 "invitation to configure",
this is disconcerting. I assumed that "late 2017" bandied about last year by Tesla was
a happening thing. Tesla SF mumbles "go to San Mateo" and "call City Hall", as
the City/County here are the hold-up. So I have a call out to Supervisor Katy Tang who drives an EV
and has sponsored EV-related legislation (will update this effort here).

My own situation is that although I have a garaged space, the 1920s-era
building wiring to the "common area" here is primitive (no 110V three-prong plug, even!)
Since it's a rent-controlled building, there is no obligation under CA state bill AB2565
for the building owner to even lift a finger to pull permits even if I am prepared to
pay for level 1/2 myself.

Lastly, I am wondering what other strategies are employed by SF renters / Tesla owners
in the interim. Are the extent public Level 2 chargers at shopping malls overbooked?

SamO | 15 mei 2018

Take a look at the Destination Chargers.

https://www.tesla.com/destination-charging

lilbean | 15 mei 2018

Sounds like a good football team.

Sleepydoc1 | 15 mei 2018

ha ha ha L'il. Too bad they are playing in Carson right now. Wasn't that supposed to be a mall or something?

lilbean | 15 mei 2018

Hahaha!

retiarius | 16 mei 2018

Looking at the destination charger map, it's mainly downtown hotels like Marriott/Hilton,
where locals don't go to, or downtown garages, again avoided by locals who can just hop on BART.
A place that looks intriguing is the SF Zoo, with 6 Tesla-specific stalls supposedly "free"
but with a $12 parking charge. Shh ... otherwise it looks like Whole Foods is the go to spot.

Tropopause | 16 mei 2018

Destination Chargers vs. OPEC Oilers.

Who will win?

jacklondon413 | 12 augustus 2018

test drove the P3D and they told me that there will be 3 superchargers opening up in SF by end of 2018.

brichter | 30 september 2018

That's what the Supercharger map shows right now, but most of them don't have any specific locations so I'm skeptical any will be open by the end of this year.

bgbythsea | 1 oktober 2018

There are numerous level 2 chargers around San Francisco and a few Chademo level 3. I expect that Tesla will eventually create (or enable the existing Chademo Model S/X) adapters for the Model 3. At level 1, which you might be able to get installed in your old building, tho old system should be able to support charging, but will only get you about 40 miles of range overnight.

lifeinafolder | 2 januari 2019

Soma resident here. Got my M3 last week and having a really hard time figuring out how to charge my car's battery. My apartment complex doesn't have EV charging spots.

Closest is a EVGo at Whole Foods but I dont see a ChadeMo adapter for Model 3. This is really disheartening. Where can I charge my M3 in the city for cheap?

NoMoPetrol | 2 januari 2019

There are several destination chargers in your immediate area. You can find them on the Tesla web site at:
https://www.tesla.com/findus?v=2&search=North%20America&bounds=39.619704...

If those don't work out for you, Daly City has a 40 stall Supercharger at the Serramonte Center.

lifeinafolder | 2 januari 2019

I am aware of the Daly City Supercharger and have charged there twice now. Very smooth experience but its a bit too far.

As for the destination chargers, A lot of them are in the public parking lots with very high parking fees ($30/hr). I want to figure out a cheaper alternative.

Thanks in advance!

NoMoPetrol | 2 januari 2019

Don't be surprised if the Superchargers that eventually get installed downtown have the same paid parking lot issues. Living in San Francisco is expensive for a reason. It's expensive.

lifeinafolder | 3 januari 2019

If thats the case, then the advantage of its cheaper than gas is not applicable for SF residents. That's a shame.

DTsea | 3 januari 2019

it is, if you can charge at home.

lifeinafolder | 3 januari 2019

I live in an apartment complex. Installing EV chargers is complicated here and I have to run through hoops with the building management.

jerrykham | 4 januari 2019

@lifeinafolder - you must have planned out where to charge before you bought your EV though, right? As far as paid parking lots for charging, an example would be the coming (permit issued) charger in downtown Seattle. The lot is 6$ for 30 minutes, $9 for 1 hour. I imagine SF is quite a bit more - but that's the most likely setup you will get in SF. Just due to most parking there is paid parking and if they setup a special "free" parking for Teslas they would always be ICE'd. It would also be a question of what business would pay to make it free parking for Teslas. Likely nobody.

TranzNDance | 4 januari 2019

I wonder if some day, not having charging capability would be seen as not having electrical or plumbing.

jerrykham | 4 januari 2019

@TranzNDance - it could be. That is certainly one possible future. The one we keep hearing about has personal electric vehicles as just a transition technology and they say that personal vehicle ownership goes away over time as we move to self driving fleet cars working like Lyft and Uber do today - but for most everyone. If that all fails then home charging will be more than the perk it is today - it would be required. But if that future where vehicle ownership becomes a thing of the past happens then home charging would be mostly useless. It will be interesting to watch and see where it all goes...

TranzNDance | 4 januari 2019

Yeah, I realized that in the short and mid term, charging facility will be like a washer/dryer or dishwasher. It could be a deal breaker for choice in housing for some people, but unwanted or unneeded for others. Once FSD vehicles are more available, car ownership won't be as widespread so charging requirements would also decrease.

NoMoPetrol | 5 januari 2019

@jerrykham ...That is certainly one possible future. The one we keep hearing about has personal electric vehicles as just a transition technology and they say that personal vehicle ownership goes away over time as we move to self driving fleet cars working like Lyft and Uber do today - but for most everyone. If that all fails then home charging will be more than the perk it is today - it would be required. But if that future where vehicle ownership becomes a thing of the past happens then home charging would be mostly useless. It will be interesting to watch and see where it all goes..."

You outline a very altruistic Jetsons style future with the autonomous vehicles. But if our collective desire to own an automobile keeps up with the birth rate, your "home charging as a requirement" scenario may turn out to be more of an Escape From Los Angeles lifestyle than anything else. (Gridlock from San Diego to Santa Barbara 14 hours per day; gridlock from Santa Rosa to Gilroy 14 hours per day, etc).

TeslaTap.com | 27 mei 2019

@adam.pslab & @vladimiovus65 are both spam bots that copy and paste with spam links - flagged.