Forums

You may be eligible to deduct a $1,918 allowance from the cost of your electric service if you are upgrading your panel.

You may be eligible to deduct a $1,918 allowance from the cost of your electric service if you are upgrading your panel.

In preparation for my Model X arrival, I need to upgrade my main electrical panel from 100A to maybe 300A-400A (for future expansion as well). I live in San Jose, CA and saw on PG & E web site that one can get $1918 credit for upgrading the panel.

Has anyone done this before? Please advise. Thanks!

http://www.pge.com/myhome/customerservice/other/newconstruction/projectc...

"According to an interim policy, if a service upgrade is required, the facility upgrade costs associated with electric vehicle chargers at residential sites are treated as a common facility. As a result, the individual customer is not responsible for these costs. Normally, customers are responsible for costs that exceed the $1,918 allowance that PG&E provides. For more information, see the CPUC decision.
You may be eligible to deduct a $1,918 allowance from the cost of your electric service if you are upgrading your panel."

aesculus | 27. oktober 2015

I think this refers to the secondary lines and transformer, not your panel or premise equipment.

I know that PG&E told me I would have no cost to swap out my secondaries nor any cost to support them coming out to disconnect/connect my service for the new panel. My transformer can handle multiple homes as it was over designed so I am good to go there.

edowney31 | 27. oktober 2015

Your post is very coincidental, my accountant just sent me an email today asking for the invoice and the name of the electrical company that did the work. I'm in Oregon, we must have a similar law here, I did not know about this until today. Thanks for sharing,

~Eric

Mikekchang | 27. oktober 2015

The credit seems to only be associated with underground electrical service. At least in the Bay Area, I think overhead electrical service is quite common, and therefore not eligible for the credit. Upgrading a panel with underground is usually much more expensive than overhead service.

davediep | 28. oktober 2015

@Mikekchang

Yes, my PG & E electrical access point is underground on the left side of my drive way which is about 27' from my main electrical panel.

My upgrade would definitely require trenching with new larger cable. I am just not sure what to do to get the credit from PG & E. Any help is highly appreciated. Thank you!

aesculus | 28. oktober 2015

@davediep: Go into the PG&E website and search for EV. In there you can find a application for a circuit upgrade to accommodate an EV. Fill out the form. In a few days a PG&E engineer will contact you. You had to give them your account info on the form so they will use that to look up your load history.

The engineer will review your load information from past bills and determine if he thinks your circuits/tx etc can handle the load for your EV based on the size of charging (amps) you want. Together you can decide if you need secondary and/or tx upgrades.

Note the engineer will make no comments about your panel layout or any issues beyond the meter, just that your load history and PG&E assets will work or not.