Forums

Mammoth from San Diego in a 75 D vs 100D - has anyone done this and how?

Mammoth from San Diego in a 75 D vs 100D - has anyone done this and how?

Mammoth travels - where to stop for efficient charging? Carmel Valley to Mammoth here we go ....eventually. This can help me decide 100d vs 75D

AmpUp | 20. juni 2018

I have done the trip in a 75D from LA, which took two charging stops on the way up and only one on the way down. I imagine you'd have to add one more stop in each direction, if you're coming from San Diego. I stopped in Mojave and Lone Pine, if I remember correctly, but the car will figure it out for you. In fact, because I paid absolutely zero attention to maximizing range or planning where to stop for a charge, the car reworked the charging stops during the trip to make up for the extra power I used. This was my longer first road trip and it couldn't have been easier - that was in a 75D. If you drove in a 100D, you'd probably be able to eliminate a stop in each direction and have no range anxiety, but you don't have to worry in a 75 either... there are plenty of Superchargers along the route.

tes-s | 20. juni 2018

If you are asking the question, 100D is the answer.

eggbert747 | 20. juni 2018

I've done it easily in my 85, charging twice, in Rancho Cucamonga and Lone Pine. Could probably charge once with a 100, which would be very nice. Great supercharger in Mammoth.

sbeggs | 21. juni 2018

What @eggbert said.

K-D-R | 21. juni 2018

Just finished a trip from Orange County to Mammoth in a 100D. Car had 4 people and loaded to the max. Stopped in Inyokern on the way up for a 50-minute charge. On the way back only needed 15 minutes and that was with strong headwinds on most of the trip. Ther’s a supercharger in Lone Pine but I let the car tell us when to stop and it picked Inyokern both times. Mammoth has a nice supercharging station with 8 stalls and there was never more than one other car there during our trip. Granted it was summer.

K-D-R | 21. juni 2018

...oh and give this a shot. It was reasonably accurate for our trip:

https://www.tesla.com/trips

mikeTeslagoal | 21. juni 2018

Thanks for the link, and input on recent trips. I just can't recall Inyokern on the way up, and have been driving there since a child with my family from LB (> 30 years!).

K-D-R | 21. juni 2018

I’m sure you’ve seen it on the map by now but its right where the 14 from LA hits the 395.

K-D-R | 21. juni 2018

...and theres a great little burger joint at the charging station called Classic Burger.

mikeTeslagoal | 21. juni 2018

K-D-R Thanks, I guess so early in the drive I overlooked it!

SCCRENDO | 21. juni 2018

I did it in a Model 3. From San Bernadino area I charged at Lone Pine for 15 mins. Going home to Orange County I charged at Inyokern for 20 mins. Both place are dumps. But if you want to do a longer charge do it at Lone Pine and explore the Movie Museum. There is some so-so food in Inyokern. Mammoth superchargers are in a condo parking lot. There is a shopping center a few blocks down but I didn’t feel like walking in the cold

mikeTeslagoal | 22. juni 2018

When I used the trio map above listed it had 3 stops! 25 min, 25 min and 35 min, nearly 1.5 hours. That seems painful, that was for a 75d.

SCCRENDO | 22. juni 2018

@MikeTeslagoal. Where are you coming from

K-D-R | 22. juni 2018

@mikeTeslagoal you can always get the 100D!

mantin | 22. juni 2018

Classic Burger is changing it's name to Classic Pancakes. LOL

mikeTeslagoal | 22. juni 2018

@ K-D-R - yes but it is 20 K more! If I can find an inventory loaner car, I will get the 100D!

SCRENDO - Carmel Valley/Del Mar off the 5.

SCCRENDO | 22. juni 2018

The 100D should perform like a Model 3 and should be able to do it on 2 short or one very long charge. The 75 D may require up to 3 charges. This is not a big deal. I push the battery to the bottom sometimes below 20. At that point the battery charges fast at a supercharger. Above 80% it slows down dramatically. I would rather run down the battery and then have a 15-20 min charge to give enough charge to get you to the next supercharger. Take a quick bathroom break, get a cup of coffee and stretch your legs and move on. Do the same at the next stop. If you are stopping for a meal then let it charge full and this can take more than an hour. I find the breaks refreshing and the drive much more enjoyable. I do a lot of miles and always go for the biggest battery available. In practice a Tesla with more than 300 miles at full charge is more than needed. If you are on a tight budget the smaller batteries are fine and may cause you to stop an extra time. But no big deal. In my Model 3 with a 310-312 mile battery I have driven from the San Bernadino area to Vegas without stopping to charge and arrived in Vegas with 62 miles left.