Forums

Supercharger availability and demand

Supercharger availability and demand

I’m very happy to hear about how well the sales figures look for the Model 3.
However my concern is the availability of super chargers when there are so many Model 3s on the road. Anyone have any information about how fast new chargers will be made or expanded?
For example the San Diego super charger is always full with a line of cars!

dmm1240 | 28. juli 2018

Go here: https://www.tesla.com/findus?v=2&search=North%20America&bounds=81.441942...

It's on this website, btw. Go to the main window, click the menu pop down on the extreme right, click charging. The map is about halfway down the page. Lists all the currently open superchargers and the ones on the way with approximate opening dates.

If you're traveling, be sure to enter your destination into Tesla's navigation system. It will show you where you need to stop to recharge and for how long. If you touch the supercharger icon on the navigation timeline, it will show you how many stalls are open at the supercharger you want to visit. You can do this w/o going through the navigation system by clicking the lightning bolt in the banner menu at the top of your touchscreen. At least, that's how it works on the MS/MX.

johnse | 28. juli 2018

There are a few Supercharger sites that are very busy. But that is not the norm. Of course that is scant comfort if you need one of the busy few.

Tesla is expanding the system rapidly, adding thousands of plugs each year and recently adding stations with 40 or more chargers and amenities. They know where the hot spots are and are working to help. Permitting and construction does take time.

ravisundaramam | 29. juli 2018

@doggmd "However my concern is the availability of super chargers when there are so many Model 3s on the road"

Please do not compare the number and locations of Superchargers with gas stations. The gas car people have to buy the energy at the gas station for every mile they drive. We will be using the supercharger *only* when we go on long road trips.

9 weeks of ownership, about 3750 miles driven. Supercharger use so far: 9 times. Once to verify and learn how to use it, one road trip, Pittsburgh-Ann Arbor-Chicago-Pitssburgh 7 times in 3 days, and one trip to Breezewood. 6 of the 9 times I was the only user. Never had to wait. Once 3 out of 6 bays occupied. I think the car count can easily quadruple before we run into capacity and waiting for the charger issues.

But there will be places where the capacity limit will be reached and we will hear about it. Most likely the San Diego-Los Angeles-San Francisco corridor is going to be saturated first. We will see what happens and how it is handled and know what to expect in our areas.

WardT | 29. juli 2018

I would expect, maybe not, gas stations will offer electrons for sale. It could happen….

But really, with several thousand more EVs on the road everyday is still nothing compared to the number of ICE cars are sold. We have awhile before there is a problem, at least on average. You wonder too, where are all the electrons going to come from? (Oh, the sun, that’s right…)

Revelate | 29. juli 2018

Ravis: apparently Tesla is somewhat aware of that, and perhaps the influx of Model 3's in general - seem to be doubling or more the number of Superchargers in my area (San Pedro, CA) with scheduled completion dates of 2018 according to the map... appears I will have options both going southbound in Long Beach, and north at the current Redondo Beach one.

Even if I can't get any charging at home (condo, which I own rather than rent so don't think AB 2625 applies) and even if every time I go past the local chargers they're full, I'm thinking I can still make this work.

jvcesare | 29. juli 2018

The link below is the best site I know concerning superchargers. It contains information about planned sites and those under construction. For example, you’ll see a site is currently under construction in North County San Diego (Carlsbad). If you go to the discussion link you’ll find pictures of the progress from start of construction up until last week. Looks like it will be ready in less than a month.
https://supercharge.info/map

Bighorn | 29. juli 2018

I’ve driven 12k miles this month and haven’t waited for a supercharger. They’re mostly empty. Extrapolating from SD is nuts.

jvcesare | 29. juli 2018

The Qualcomm San Diego site is the 2nd busiest in the world (Amsterdam is first).
BTW if you read the Carlsbad Supercharge discussion thread, you find a gem about a new service center being planned on Lionshead on the site of the old drag strip, which is now an office park. I work a block away.

Tesla2018 | 29. juli 2018

It would be interesting to see how many Teslas are registered in each state. If they sold 200,000 so far, then it is an average of 4000 per state. However, from the posts here it seems like California seems to have the highest density of cars.
Would also be interesting to see how many people can charge at home vs how many cant, and also to see how many are doing it just because its free on model S and X.

If Tesla gave free home chargers to people in lieu of free supercharging, I wonder if it would cut down the lines at superchargers due to the convience factor. I am a mile away from a supercharger at home and a free Clipper Creek charger a mile away from work, but its not worth my time to waste an hour to save $7 in electricity.

gcklo | 29. juli 2018

Even at 11pm, most of the super charger stations in the South Bay Area (Silicon Valley) are almost full.

ravisundaramam | 29. juli 2018

@Tesla2018: "If Tesla gave free home chargers to people in lieu of free supercharging, I wonder if it would cut down the lines at superchargers due to the convience factor. "

It will not. Tesla already gives a 240 V 40 Amp connector. The charging is 36 miles per hour. HPWC bumps it up to 44 miles per hour. The difference is not much for overnight charging. 7 hours vs 9 hours. Most people charge to 70 or 80% from 30 or 40%, HPWC does not make any difference.

Apartments and Condos getting decent level 2 charging will make a difference.

SamO | 29. juli 2018

Used to be 50% of US Sales were in California but I haven’t seen recent dats.

Qualcomm San Diego Supercharger sux. Thank the FSM that downtown San Diego just got a new Supercharger.

benichols | 29. juli 2018

I just took a 3000 mile trip through Western National Parks and spent significant time in California, including LA. Was never a problem charging. Even in LA, all but one supercharger was less than half occupied at any given time.

I agree with the importance of home charging. Before my Model 3, I drove a Volt for 70,000 miles. 92% was electric and it only had a range of 40 miles. The vast majority of everyone's miles can be covered by home charging and superchargers should really only be used for long distance travel. Improving infrastructure in residential areas is the solution to this problem as much as more superchargers.

ReD eXiLe ms us | 29. juli 2018

idoggmd: When the Tesla Supercharger network was first unveiled in October 2012 (5 sites were open by November 12, 2012), Tesla showed a graphic that indicated an evenly dispersed Supercharger installation could cover over 90% of the population for the 48 contiguous United States of America with only 200 locations.

Your 'concern' has been brought up numerous times since Tesla had less than 150 Supercharger sites in the U.S. Most times the indication has been that the 'coming soon' map was unreliable, interminably delayed, and ridiculously optimistic, to the point of being an outright lie. Similarly, Tesla's Detractors who harped that they would, "Go out of business, any day now..." always made it seem the Supercharger network was an unsustainable burden that was a drag on the company's finances and would surely be abandoned to 'save money'. They naturally refused to accept that the existence and expansion of the Tesla Supercharger network was a major selling point that moved people to buy the cars to begin with; or that even with it in place, most Tesla owners didn’t actually use it (they charged at home or at work), they just wanted to know it was there 'just in case' they needed it; or that it wasn't actually a financial burden at all, because the total cost of the Supercharger network for construction, energizing, and maintenance was covered by the funds the company got from selling ZEV Credits each quarter. Oh, and Tesla passed 200 sites in the U.S. a long while ago and are now over 500 sites here. As predicted by longtime Tesla fans, continual expansion of the Supercharger network has been a constant priority, despite the squawkings of Detractors, Critics, NaySayers, and Trolls attempting to misdirected the populace with FUD, as if no more of them would be built.

Tesla reached 200 Superchargers in North America on May 27, 2015. By January 4, 2018 there were 505 Supercharger sites in North America. As of yesterday, July 28, 2018, there are 623 Supercharger sites across the U.S., Canada, and Mexico, combined. There are 553 Superchargers in the U.S. today.

The main point of your 'concern' as seems to always be the case when this comes up, is the notion that Tesla won't have 'enough' Superchargers to fulfill the needs of their Customers, because the network will be 'overrun' by the unwashed masses that choose to buy the Model 3. That the system will become inconvenient to use due to crowding and lines. As if there have never been lines at anytime at a gas station, and it always takes 'five minutes' or less to refuel, with no waiting or inconvenience whatsoever for anyone with an ICE vehicle. OK, let's examine that idea.

If we presume it truly takes a mythical 'five minutes' to add five or six hundred miles of range to a typical ICE, not a hybrid or plug-in hybrid, well first I can say bull 3... 2... 1... $#!+ to that. Traditional automobile manufacturers tend to put rather smallish fuel tanks in their most efficient ICE vehicles, but tremendous fuel tanks in their veritable gas guzzlers. So a fuel efficient econobox that is 'listed' at 40 MPG or more might have anywhere from 9-to-13 gallons of fuel capacity. Meanwhile, the typical luxoboat that struggles to achieve 20 MPG will have a 19-to-26 gallon fuel capacity.

___ 40 MPG × 9 Gallon Capacity = 360 miles range

___ 20 MPG × 26 Gallon Capacity = 520 miles range

Most people are entirely unaware of the actual range of their ICE vehicles. They just automatically pull over and get more fuel when the needle drops to indicate a '1/4 tank' remaining, then they still may not fill up, but put in 'five bucks worth' of gasoline, not recognizing that isn't likely to be more than two gallons of fuel in most places these says. So they are really only adding maybe 40 miles of range to their gas guzzler, and 80 to their econobox in 'five munutes', certainly not 500 miles as they claim. But then they say that isn't important because 'gas is everywhere'. Oh? So why do people still run out of gas? Oh, and they don't acknowledge the lines they encounter in popular areas on popular routes to vacation spots on holidays either. Such points are never discussed in detail by those opposed to EVS or Tesla in particular.

There are something like 120,000 gas stations in the U.S. They support the needs of over 250,000,000 ICE vehicles here. So, that is ~2,083 vehicles per gas station. If you figure that Tesla needs (entirely overlooking that most people charge at home overnight) a distribution of Superchargers to match the 'density' of gas stations in order to satisfy the public... and you point to typical Supercharging that takes 30 minutes instead of only 5... Then you would need one Supercharger for every ~347 Tesla cars in the field. In the U.S., that means the 553 Supercharger sites can accommodate only about 192,000 cars. Well, using that logic, sure, knowing that Tesla has already passed 200,000 units sold in the U.S., that means the Supercharger network is already overstressed, right?

SHELL is one of the biggest petroleum companies in the world. In the U.S. they only operate about 25,000 gas stations, despite their size and the ready availability of 250,000,000 potential customers. So, that works out to one SHELL station for every 10,000 potential customers in the U.S. Yet, that is not seen as a tactical oversight in any way. What if Tesla were held to only one-sixth that standard? So, one Supercharger site for every 1,667 current Customer? Ah, well then things change a bit, as having 553 Supercharger locations in the U.S. becomes 'enough' to handle as many as over 921,600 Tesla owners instead. Thus, not 'overstressed' at all, and we'll ahead of the curve for gas stations already.

Bottom line? Don't worry about it. Tesla has this covered.

jjgunn | 29. juli 2018

If there are 200,000 Tesla's in the U.S. I'll bet 100,000-120,000 are in California.

It's without a doubt the state with the highest density.

Charge after 11 PM if you're in CA. It's easier as you have less congestion & it helps Tesla because it's cheaper electrons. Be smart....90% of Tesla customers charge their cars at the worst time. Be part of the 10%

mntlvr23 | 29. juli 2018

@idoggmd - see the link below for a summary of 103 supercharger visits across the US over a 5 week period (& ~19,000 miles). Real data.
http://epicevroadtrip.com/supercharger-availability

Other than a few high volume spots in CA, the balance of superchargers are superavailable - Happy long distance driving !!!