Forums

Model 3 Autosteer and enhanced autopilot (EAP) problems

Model 3 Autosteer and enhanced autopilot (EAP) problems

Does anyone have problems or know what's going on? The autosteer option is blue when I park the car, then when I start driving, it turns grey. When I'm on the freeway it's also grey, meaning off. I also was on the freeway and also on a 40mph residential street with no cars, and the auto lane change didn't work at all, each time. And of course auto lane change was on, on the blue button. There are many times when I engage in EAP (2 clicks downward with the right stick), it says autosteer temporarily not available, what's up with this?? Last question is, how many seconds does your model 3 enhanced autopilot go before it says for you to touch the wheel and put some light pressure on it? It used to be about 15 seconds for me, now its a little more than 20 seconds. Thanks

lilbean | 17. august 2018

You need to put some more miles on it if it's brand new.

FC | 17. august 2018

I have driven for already 575 miles

FC | 17. august 2018

and Tesla states after 200 miles, it should work well. It was working perfectly my last 5 days

jingxi02 | 17. august 2018

The timing for prompt you to put you hand on wheel depends on the speed. Faster you drive, shorter time you get. if you stuck in a traffic jam, you won't get it until the car moves faster than 20MPH. That's why I like traffic jam now.

FC | 17. august 2018

ok, makes sense. Jing, do you know what's going on with my EAP then in my first couple problems listed? does your autosteer option stay blue even when you drive or turn grey?

sfbayevrook | 17. august 2018

Schedule a check with your nearest service center. My EAP wasn't working, and when I took it in to the service center they verified that there was a diagnostic issue that needed to be looked at. Still being worked on as I write. 640 miles since I received my car.

vmulla | 18. august 2018

The auto steer option turns grey when you're moving, the car allows the options to be set only when it's parked. This is to ensure you're not changing options in the middle of a drive - for safety.

Do you see lines represting the travel lanes on your screen? How about cars in front of you? What's the situation with TACC?

We can give you better input of you provide more info

-TheJohn- | 18. august 2018

In a non-antagonistically way may I suggest reading the manual and then re-reading the section on AP and the like?
It's hard to say with the lack of detail but you may be asking more of the system than is possible.
Enjoy!

cquail | 18. august 2018

You must be in a lane for AP to work. If AP cannot see your lane markings, it will not activate. Same thing with lane change. Sometimes weak lane markings or sun glare will not allow auto lane change.

Putmoo | 19. august 2018

I've been having the same problem too. My car has way over 20 miles (`900) and whenever I try to engage Autosteer, on a freeway with well defined lanes, the option is grey for me. When I am parked and view the Autopilot screen, it's in blue. I have read the manual and it hasn't mentioned any other choices to make the enable Autosteer. And BTW, last time I tired, the sun was at my back, so glare interference is unlikely.

charles.a.braun | 20. august 2018

jingxi02 | August 17, 2018
The timing for prompt you to put you hand on wheel depends on the speed. Faster you drive, shorter time you get. if you stuck in a traffic jam, you won't get it until the car moves faster than 20MPH. That's why I like traffic jam now.

I can't use EAP in heavy stop and go traffic. My car drives like it is drunk, bee-bopping back and forth between the lines. I figure anyone behind me or to the side will either call the cops or if they do think I am using EAP, than I figure that is pretty bad advertising for Tesla for non-Tesla drivers on the road to see my car swerving back and forth within my lane a low speed. Therefore if I am in serious traffic under 15-20MPH I will just use TACC and avoid the use of Auto-Steer.

amceachin | 20. august 2018

If it's grey, EAP is available. Blue means it is engaged. If it's not available, the grey wheel disappears. It's like blue when you're parked because of the autopark feature, also part of EAP.

Baywood | 20. august 2018

Charles... 450 mi on my M3. I’ve used EAP a lot of those miles. Curvy roads, stop and go traffic, stressing it just for fun, but very aware of safely being prepared. EAP has been steady and reliable. I disengaged it only on sharp right-handed curves because it just hugged the center dividing lines too closely for comfort. I know it’s not (yet) designed/recommended for this kind of road, just saying that you should have a much more reliable ride than the swerving you are experiencing. Hope you solve it soon.

httran26 | 20. august 2018

It appears there is some confusion on what you are describing.

To the OP. I think you mean to say the Autopilot Settings are blue when the car is parked. Meaning you can make changes to the settings. It turns gray when the car is moving. This is by design. You are not supposed to be making changes to the Autopilot settings while in motion.

If you Autopilot and Autosteer turned on in the settings, you will see a gray steering wheel near the top left corner of your screen. This steering wheel appears when there are clearly defined street lines. It means you can activate Autopilot. Once you activate autopilot, the small steering wheel icon turns blue.

Autopilot lane change only works on the hiway. When in Autopilot on the hiway, you will see a gray line to the left or to the right of the blue lines that Autopilot is watching. This means Autopilot sees that there is a lane next to the one you are driving on. Push the turn signal all the way down to activate auto lane changes. Let autopilot change the lane for you. It will also turn off the lane change signal.

On city street roads, Autopilot will drive max of 5mph over the speed limit. You can go faster by depressing the accelerator but now you are in control of the speed. The auto steering will still be performed by Autopilot. Also on city roads, auto lane change will not work no matter how many lanes there are.

charles.a.braun | 20. august 2018

@Baywood, I did over a thousand miles this weekend going from So Cal to Zion to Death Valley and back home in So Cal. 1021 total miles and I have just under 28,000 total on my Model 3.

Point being, I have a pretty good idea of how EAP behaves in my car. Trust me when I say I don't use it a very low speeds in traffic it is because I feel it is dangerous and must make others around me not feel to comfortable as my car bounces at 3-5MPH between the lines.

dalesmith1962 | 20. august 2018

@charles.a.braun, maybe you should make an appointment at your service center and have Tesla check your cameras, sensors, and radar. Your car should not be bouncing between the lines.

hoffmannjames | 20. august 2018

@FC wrote:

"The autosteer option is blue when I park the car, then when I start driving, it turns grey. When I'm on the freeway it's also grey, meaning off. I also was on the freeway and also on a 40mph residential street with no cars, and the auto lane change didn't work at all, each time. And of course auto lane change was on, on the blue button. There are many times when I engage in EAP (2 clicks downward with the right stick), it says autosteer temporarily not available, what's up with this??"
---------------------

What you wrote makes no sense. The only time the auto steer option is blue when you are parking is when you are using auto park. Otherwise, it is never blue when you are parking yourself.

When you are on the highway, when the auto steer option is grey that does not mean that it is off. Quite the contrary, it means autopilot is ready to be activated. Only when the option is grey are you allowed to turn it on by double tapping down.

Auto lane change only works on divided interstate highways where you see two grey lane lines on your display showing your lane and the adjacent lane. Auto lane change also only works when autopilot is on, meaning the auto steer option is blue.

If you do the double tap and it says "auto steer unavailable", it means that you tried to turn autopilot on when there was no grey wheel. You are only allowed to do the double tap when you see the little grey steering wheel.

lalith.vaka | 22. august 2018

My Model 3 (less than 300miles) EAP won't engage intermittently between trips. It does not recognize lanes or cars and if I engage cruise I get "Cruise not available" message on the monitor for the entire duration of a specific trip when it decides not to work. This will come back to normal once I walk away from the car and come back after few mins..

larhindman | 11. januar 2019

We have a RWD mid range model 3, just under 200 mi. When I am in traffic and stopped, like at a traffic light, the other vehicle images on the screen around the car seem to be sort of vibrating and jumping around a bit, is this normal, not really a problem, just curious. Also, when using autosteer on interstate with good new lines on pavement, the car seems to be sort of hunting for the center, making small corrections right and left and never finding where it wants to be, noticed this while on a fairly straight section of road at about 75 mph. Anyone else having this issue? Ideas on how to fix it? Thanks

kcheng | 11. januar 2019

@larry, i've had mine 4 weeks, but I think the vibrating images are normal. As for the vehicle hunting around to stay centered, it does do that a little, and makes more corrections than I would, but I think that's normal. Yours sounds like it might be doing it more but hard to say without someone else driving your car who has a Model 3 with EAP.

sarahgabriel3715 | 13. august 2019

I have a new M3. It has about 600 miles on it. Sometimes, when I click down twice to turn on autopilot, and the wheel on the display is grey, the autosteering comes on. Sometimes it does not. There really is no rhyme or reason. If the wheel is grey, that means it is available to function, right? So, if it is grey and i click the column down twice, when cruise control comes on, so should autosteering, right? I have it set, in the control panel to do so. Thanks!

FISHEV | 13. august 2019

I think regular AP has AutoSteer. You are saying Advanced Auto Pilot which was a confusing term used by Tesla to mean what is not AP and Full Self Driving combined...except when it didn't and some features were included, some not.

In regular AP, yes two clicks should engage AutoSteer and the steeting wheel icon turns blue. if that's not happening then arrange a service visit via the phone app.

Is it a case where if you keep clicking down AutoSteer will eventually engage?

hokiegir1 | 13. august 2019

@sarahgabriel - Sometimes, if you click too quickly, it will only register as one (like it didn't go back up far enough between to get the second click). Keep an eye on when it happens and make sure the stalk goes all the way to the top position (let go) before you start the second click and see if that helps. It's still a quick maneuver -- but you basically let go between them for it to reset.