Forums

Way to track power consumption on Tesla?

Way to track power consumption on Tesla?

Does anyone know a way or where on within the Tesla UI to see how many KwH you have charged your car? I'm assuming you could maybe reset this at certain time periods? Point is, I live in a condo association and the garage plug is connected to the HOA meter. Hoping I could, each month, say how many KwH I'm on the hook for personally for charging my car, while the remaining costs would be shared by the HOA.

Let me know if you have any ideas. Thanks!

amceachin | 19. oktober 2018

If you change the state of charge display from miles to percent, when you charge the car it will show you how many kWh you've gained during a giving charging session.

Bighorn | 19. oktober 2018

The kilowatt-hours you've gained are slightly less than the plug provided as there are line losses. 15% is often bandied about.

The are devices that record the amount of energy drawn from a plug.

CharleyBC | 19. oktober 2018

I haven't yet looked at the new V9 Energy app. Does it help answer such questions?

No, the charging screen should suffice with a kWh count.

Tesla2018 | 19. oktober 2018

I have never reset the first trip odometer so it shows lifetime KWs used.
I renamed the second one Monthly Use and reset it to zero on the last day of the month after writing down the KWs used for the month. Then when I get my bill, I can figure out how man KWs I would have used without having the car attached. Then I take the kws used by the car and multiple by the utility rate to see what the cost of electricity was for the car. Then I do the math to see how many miles I go on a dollars worth of electricity. At 10 cents per Kw I can go about 40 miles on a dollars worth of electricity. So if gas is 2.50 a gallon its like getting 100 mpg.

georgehawley.fl.us | 19. oktober 2018

You probably mean kilowatt hours instead of kilowatts. Your cost per mile is right on the money.

georgehawley.fl.us | 19. oktober 2018

The EPA test used about 234 watt hours per mile overall so their MPG equivalent is a little higher than your 100 MPG.

gballant4570 | 19. oktober 2018

My average usage (lifetime - still short, about 900 miles) keeps flipping between 234 and 235. The number dovetails with the used KW and the odometer reading, and real close to the EPA numbers. The only missing part would be losses -0 nit just line losses, but there may be usage when the car is plugged in at time that is not recorded as kwh charged to battery.

I don't have a reason to get that granular, so I haven't been paying that much attention... just marvelling at riding the wind for 900 miles for $25.....

cconklin1 | 19. oktober 2018

Interested in this conversation. I have been tracking my W-W KwH per mile since I've owned the RW LR Model 3 for about 2 1/2 months. I don't find the odometer reading that useful, because I'm not sure what it is actually measuring.
Does it include the "vampire" drain, which can be considerable? I'm getting approximately 350 wH/mile based on what Tesla Fi shows for the KwH added over the approximately 1,400 miles I've driven the car to date. Using home electronic monitoring of my charging circuit shows my (wall to wheels) efficiency at about 375 wH/mile, due to the charging losses. If I was really getting the 240 or so wH/mile that is frequently cited on these forums, and is what my odometer is showing over these first couple of months, the efficiency would be pretty close to what I got with my Nissan Leaf (which I'm skeptical about with the heavier more complex car). What I'm really getting for what I pay to dispense into the car relative to miles driven raises a bit of a question as to whether or not I may have a battery problem, at this early stage.
Chris Conklin
Hot, humid Honolulu

@cconklin
Vampire drain is not captured by the car’s accounting. Overhead protection draws can be considerable.

Overheat

cconklin1 | 19. oktober 2018

Thanks Bighorn...keeping the Overheat Protection off now because even in late October with the black interior it will be on during the day in Honolulu.
I'll crop out the vampire drain (still working to minimize that) from my numbers to get the real driving efficiency. aloha

Mahalo

otognan | 20. oktober 2018

I use teslafi.com. It captures most metrics I need

Perelms | 22. september 2019

I accidentally reset the first odometer.
Is there any way I can restore it so that I can see lifetime kwh?
Or is there any other place I can find this info?

marlon | 22. september 2019

I 2nd the TeslaFi.com suggestion. A lot of good information with that web app.

Tyerc | 23. september 2019

Teslafi.com everything you want to know.

cmh95628 | 23. september 2019

I will be in a similar situation in about 5 months. I am planning on using this eyedro electricity monitor, at the outlet:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FN3X9GX?aaxitk=zpCpUEhTuUrDwVNq.j5iRQ

and downloading a report monthly to submit to my HOA.

I have TeslaFi but have not yet looked into tracking energy usage there, and expect it would not include the 15% overhead that @Bighorn mentions.

Bighorn | 23. september 2019

@Perel
The service center reset my trip meters--unfortunately data is gone forever.

marlon | 25. september 2019

@cmh95628 Tesla.fi will tell you exactly how much energy it's pulling from the outlet and how much is actually making it to the car.