Forums

Multiple alerts about disabled functions: automatic braking, traction control, stability control, regenerative braking

Multiple alerts about disabled functions: automatic braking, traction control, stability control, regenerative braking

Yesterday was the coldest day that I've driven my Model 3. I had it on enhanced autodrive for most of the drive and it did great. I took back control when we exited the highway. When within a block of the destination, I got an alert that automatic braking was disabled. When I put the car in park, I got:
Traction control disabled
Stability control disabled
Regenerative braking disabled
I drove home (around 60 miles) several hours later and received no alerts. Curiously, I received a notification on my phone that a software upgrade was available.
Has anyone else had a similar experience? Are these issues related to cold weather (low was around 17 degrees F yesterday)?

One more warning which has popped up a couple of times was that my airbags needed service. This happened twice in cold weather.

Magic 8 Ball | 23. november 2018

The regen notice is most definitely due to cold weather. The owners manual has a section regen and includes cold weather and the message. I am not sure about cold and the other functions but if the messages go away I would not worry about them unless the message does not go away.

desses | 23. november 2018

Magic 8, thanks for your response. I made an appointment which is a couple of weeks away. If it doesn't come up again I'll just cancel. By the way, I tried calling their customer service for information but they're actually closed today. The few times I've tried calling I haven't been able to get anyone on the phone.

@desses I recommend cancelling right away. There are people in line in front of you with pressing issues and they would appreciate the help to get in sooner. There is a lot of crap on this forum but it you have the stomach to stick with it you will get better information here vs most service folks. This is the way it is with all car companies, BTW. I new more about my Furd Cmax Energi than the service people and constantly had to show them which TSB (tech. service bulletin) they needed to reference.

In line behind you, oops. Thanksgiving wine has not yet left the building.

Rutrow 3 | 23. november 2018

I had an update (v9) for my MS that failed partway thru it's installation that caused all kinds of problems and warnings. None of them affected driving, just computer display bugs. Once an update fails, there's no way to force another attempt, you just have to wait for Tesla to send another notice. But once it loaded, ALL of my problems went away.

jwins | 23. november 2018

@desses I had a similar string of warning messages the other day. I was 200 miles into a 600 mile day. When I stopped to recharge, I suddenly got:

- Auto emergency braking is disabled
- Regenerative braking disabled
- Stability control disabled
- Traction control disabled
- Car needs service ( Steering assist reduced)

WTF?! I called Tesla's hotline, opting for the roadside assistance option. The rep didn't have an answer to why these warnings suddenly appear, but she walked me through doing a restart. After that, all the messages were gone. The one caveat for doing the restart was to not touch anything for two minutes — not the brake, not the windows, not anything that might interrupt the process. At the end of two minutes, she said "Put your foot on the brake pedal" and it was all good again.

[grr. no edit function.] The rep didn't have an answer to why these warnings *appeared* in my particular case. I'm sure they know what's going on with at least some of them in other instances. In my case, I just had this glut of warnings with no obvious cause.

ReD eXiLe ms us | 23. november 2018

Make sure the sensors on your car are not covered with dirt, mud, snow, or debris... leaves or whatever. It sounds like the car is a child screaming, "Agh! I've gone blind!" when another kid mischievously covers their eyes from behind...

jlhm | 23. november 2018

Do a power off, that should fix the issue. My wife’s model 3 got the same warnings and road assist told her to do that and it fixed it.

desses | 23. november 2018

Thank you all for your comments. I'm going to cancel my service appointment as a result of this excellent information.

82bert | 23. november 2018

Same thing happening to me now.

Is there a different restart than holding both knobs on steering wheel? Because that is not working.

Regen gone, rear camera show inaccurately. All of a sudden after parking then coming back to car.

Any help? On hold with Tesla now.

jlhm | 23. november 2018

The power off is in the service menu.

Factory reset?

walnotr | 23. november 2018

Foot on brake, hold both thumb wheels until Tesla T shows up on the screen.

@walnotr. Did that and it just seems to reboot screen. Same warnings still there.

walnotr | 23. november 2018

Ok, that was kind of my best shot. Looking back at what your saying though makes me wonder how cold the car is and if the backup camera may have dirt/moisture on it?

Bighorn | 23. november 2018

Sounds like a one-off wonky alert due to active downloading of new firmware.

Power off is under the security settings. Got a hold of Tesla and they were immensely helpful. Essentially said it’s likely just an issue with system needing a power down cycle. Worked like a charm and no issues on restart.

@82bert If you haven't heard already, "Power Off" is under the Safety & Security menu. Make sure you're not currently recharging, then go to S&S and tap Power Off. Don't activate anything in the car (brake pedal, windows, etc) for two full minutes, then press the brake pedal to restart the car. That *should* clear it for you.

Agree bighorn.

@82bert
A factory reset is pretty aggressive but may help. I’ve never had to resort to that. You’ll lose all your settings and history.

It was a 20 minute nuisance that we’re fortunate enough to have 24/7 access to Tesla for help.

Thanks everyone!

And to add to the body of knowledge, my collection of warning messages (cataloged above) had nothing to do with downloading or installing software. They just appeared after I'd been driving for a while. For balance, I also had a problem with my phone later in that trip (being stuck on 3G instead of LTE) that I initially attributed to bad cell service in the wilds of Wyoming. I later realized it was an issue with my phone and a restart cleared it. Same story with the car?

I think this is more likely jwins. I was not technically in the middle of any update that I was made aware of.

@82bert
Downloads happen silently and you’re only aware of them after complete when you get a notification that it’s available for installation.

I'm holding fast, @Bighorn :) My warnings happened three days ago, after stopping to recharge, and I haven't had a notification since then that it's time to install.

@bighorn. Ahhh. I did not realize that. Makes sense. You could be right as it would coincide with most recent 44 update coming out for people.

@jwins
I wasn’t arguing that it’s the only cause, just a possibility in 82bert’s scenario.

dkahsai | 24. november 2018

Picked up my Model 3 last week. Next day - Auto emergency braking is disabled
- Regenerative braking disabled
- Stability control disabled
- Traction control disabled
- Car needs service ( Steering assist reduced)
lost regen braking. took it for service they had it most of week. told me it was a firmware error. Picked up car drove it for about one hour. same problem again with loss of regen braking. took it back to service yesterday. service people very helpful but disappointed with results.

Magic 8 Ball | 24. november 2018

#dkahsai To be clear, and not to confuse the OP, you got a message saying the car needs service, correct?

desses | 24. november 2018

One addition to my original post:
I DID get a car needs service message. That went away and hasn't reappeared.....yet.

@desses I see, in that case I personally would still not worry about it unless it comes back. A service message would be a bit more disconcerting than the others tho'.

@desses One thing to consider is the car is under warranty and they will fix anything that comes up. I tend to wait until my cars do something more significant before I call it in (I.E. it won't run). That way they don't have to poke around at it trying to figure it out.

DaninChi | 24. november 2018

I had similar thing happen, with assorted system messages on about one out of every 2 or 3 times I started a drive, for a day about a month ago. Except I also had a persistent low tire pressure warning, even when the other messages didn’t show up. This was when the weather just started to get cold here, and my tire pressure corespondingly decreased below the warning threshold. The first time I got the multiple messages I thought I’d ignore them but it drove weirdly, like with very reduced acceleration. Freaked me out, thought I’d have to get a tow, but I discovered a power down by touchscreen or leaving and re-entering my car cleared the messages (except tire pressure) and returned driving behavior to normal. I happened to be running multiple errands that day and had to do a handful of these restarts before I was able to get back home. Never got the messages mid-drive, just when waking the car up/powering on.
Once I got my tire pressures back up, the mystery messages went away and have not returned. As luck would have it I now have a screw in one tire that I’m getting fixed Tuesday. Pressure hasn’t dropped enough to trigger the warning yet, though, so I’m not sure if intervening software updates have fixed my particular glitch.

82bert | 24. november 2018

Just got 44.2 update tonight, so you gotta wonder if there was some sort of issue with a download the other day for me when this happened. Has not recurred.

mfluo88 | 26. november 2018

it is sad there is no answers for all these questions. Is any Tesla professional in this forum? BTW, can I search topics here? Thanks!

Haggy | 27. november 2018

I had it happen to me, but it was two software updates ago. It had nothing to do with cold weather. I tried a reboot and when it didn't work I pulled over since there was a supercharger and I'd need to charge immediately. I was on hold for about a half hour before I could speak to somebody from Tesla. It took about 20 minutes of that time before it reset itself. They said that they saw something in the logs about it being reset after a power down.

I didn't try the power off menu option, and I don't know if it's likely to ever happen again with the current software. What release were people running when it happened? I think I was on 2018.39.7.

pdamski | 27. november 2018

One thing that they had me do that nobody mentioned was to disable my iPhone Tesla app before doing the Power Reset. If the car detects there is a passenger it may not do a full restart. After the car has rebooted you can enable the app again.

ODWms | 27. november 2018

Sounds like a hassle. I think I’d rather just have the passenger get out.

CHaley | 27. november 2018

I had the same issue about a week after I picked up my car. I happened to be within a mile of the Cincinnati service center. Drove to the service center without any Regen, backup camera and several other issues. They replaced a module which was housed under the steering column. Took a couple of hours, but resolved the issue. No problems since.

Cclcal | 27. november 2018

those are the exacts warnings I got right before the car lost all power. Ended up towing to Tesla and replacing drive unit and rear axle.

good luck!

ODWms | 28. november 2018

I’m curious to know if the drive unit issue has happened to any P models. They’ve been super tested (double burn in, binning, top 1% and all that) to ensure top performance and durability. Be interesting to know if this fault has occurred even after all that.

tekgirl6 | 02. januar 2019

I'm having this exact problem with my 2012 P85. I had the drive unit replaced, and got it back a few days ago, but all the alerts came back. I do the scroll wheel reset and power off several times with very mixed results. Sometimes it changes nothing, or gets rid of some alerts and not others, or a couple of times, after it sat and charged overnight, and everything went back to normal for a day. But it keeps coming back. This all started two weeks ago, and on the same day I got the alerts, I was having trouble getting it out of drive and into Park or reverse. Today, the turn signals sporadically quit working. This is really starting to scare me. They must have a solution. I never saw anything like this over the past few years I owned it. Nothing remotely this bad. I'm glad at least I'm not alone. What are they going to do? How could it go from having stiff stearing, no traction control, and no regen, all at the same time, and then suddenly everything is working perfectly a different day? It's got to be the computer. It's connected to all of those subsystems.

Coastal Cruiser. | 03. januar 2019

tekgirl6 (and whoever), have you seen this video about an owner who had his car in for service 3 times, which included a drive unit swap? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzVD64j1EPw&feature=youtu.be

It's a needlessly long video that boils down to one thing: A faulty ground. The owner's Model 3 had a loose bolt that connects two ground points. It apparently had not been tightened thoroughly during assembly ... thus the intermittent issues.

I had to laugh when I saw the video. Any backyard mechanic worth their salt will be quite familiar with such a problem. Loose grounds on ICEmobiles have been around for about as long as cars have been. So often a handful of electrical components will be swapped out in endless frustration, until finally the loose screw is discovered. Not too surprising to see this foible hit an ELECTRIC car. Ha ha.

Coastal Cruiser. | 03. januar 2019

By the way, what happened to tekgirl1-5, and will there be a tekgirl007?

tekgirl6 | 03. januar 2019

*Chuckles* Thanks for the link and the info on the faulty ground. My boyfriend is a mechanic, and that's what he thought the problem might be. I'll be sure to mention it when I go to the service center. Strangely, it started immediately after I went over a speed bump, making it seem as though it jarred something loose. It has been fine in below zero temps before, so I think it's safe to say that 20 F should not cause problems.

cweber | 19. juli 2019

Yesterday and today I've gotten the same list of alerts while driving: steering assist disabled, traction control disabled, stability disabled, regen disabled, park brake disabled, cruise control not functioning... reset computer to no avail. Scheduled a service appointment via app. 2014 Model S85, 105,000 miles. I'll try the Power Off function and see if that works. (Its 100F here in CO, so not a cold issue). I believe I'm running 2019.16.1.1

Pages