Forums

Long shot: Seeking right-side mirror part

Long shot: Seeking right-side mirror part

Wattney got her right-side mirror crunched in a collision a week ago. Three parts broke: the white (in our case--body color of the car) "skull cap" housing, the mirror itself, and the silver bottom housing. The inner mirror assembly came through fine and fully functional. Tesla sells the skull cap (is that what it's called on all cars, or is that Tesla-ese?) and the mirror. They do not sell the bottom housing separately; you have to buy the whole mirror assembly for $350. Aside from being overkill for our problem, it's a bigger deal to install, with opening up the door and all.

So as a long shot I thought I'd ask my forum friends whether anybody has that right-side silver bottom housing maybe kicking around as a leftover from some mirror repair you had to do. I'd happily buy it and cover shipping costs and such. Or a whole broken mirror assembly, so long as the silver part is undamaged.

Anyone? Thanks!

Magic 8 Ball | 08. februar 2019
CharleyBC | 08. februar 2019

Well spotted, @Magic! That's the whole mirror assembly. Tesla sells it for $350 including the glass, which that one lacks. What I was hoping to score on was the silver horizontal bottom shell that you can sorta see in some of those photos. See portion circled in green: https://charleycross.smugmug.com/Photography/IPhone/n-sC98fT/i-F5zTqqW. (Not my car)

Looking at your Ebay link led to others also selling the mirror assembly. At lest one such seller was selling the assembly WITHOUT the silver bottom housing. I bet it's someone who had damage similar to mine, bought the whole $350 unit from Tesla, and used just the silver part and is selling the rest. At least it's an idea for how to recoup some of my expense and maybe get an easier installation.

Thanks!

Magic 8 Ball | 08. februar 2019

Seller has "make offer" option. Send them a lowball, all they can say is no.

Atoms | 08. februar 2019

Tesla will come out and install. Not a bad deal after muchning mine on the garage. The silver part under the mirror is crunched. But the silver part going to the door is fine.

teslamodelx | 08. februar 2019

The new right side mirror body that is attached to the door (without the cap cover or the mirror) is $350 from Tesla part # 111077897E. The cap cover comes unpainted, new from Tesla is $30 part #109229200C and the mirror, new from Tesla is $65 part # 113065100A. The book shows 0.5 hour Instalation time! The whole assembly is not serviced as on peice fro Tesla. Good luck. :-)

teslacar | 10. februar 2019

I have the exact same issue, just bumped it a little too hard last night walking by. (it was -5F) it seems I should be able to 3d print a brace for the broken clip(s) and snap it back on. Does anyone know where I might find drawings, or a close up picture of one without broken clips for reference? I will post any solution (other than just buying a replacement) on thingiverse.

billlake2000 | 10. februar 2019
robertscottmarks | 19. september 2019

Was this ever resolved? I have the exact same issue. Seriously considering supergluing it back on to avoid paying $350 for the whole assembly. Silly really.