Forums

Gateway Not Working

Gateway Not Working

Hi, I got my system up and running. Everything seems to be working except the gateway (gwy10). It shows "no signal". I have already called Tesla several times. They try one or two things and then ask me to wait for 24 hours. So far, nothing has worked. Any idea what could be the problem. Thanks.

steve0 | 15. mars 2019

I have the same issue. I'm not too concerned as the gateways only purpose (that I know of) is to feed the solar data from the backup gateway to your power guide on the mysolarcity site. I assume you're able to see everything from the Tesla app, yes?

Patrick | 15. mars 2019

Steve0 - FWIW I believe the gateway also has the fast auto-disconnect transfer switch which activates during grid outages

jajabor | 15. mars 2019

unfortunately, i can't see anything on the app until the gateway connects to the inverter.

markbraukman | 16. mars 2019

I had the same problem until the Tesla tech (on site) set the password to my WiFi into the system. Then the 2 can connect.

Mediumed | 16. mars 2019

The gateway issue gets confusing because of a couple of reasons. I hope this post helps clear it up.

First of all there are two separate items referred to as a gateway. One of them is a small 5"x5" box that plugs into the back of your homes router and that gateway is for the mysolarcity app or website. Secondly if you have a powerwall there is a gateway which is usually mounted close to the main breaker panel and is a fairly large grey metal box approximately the same size as the main breaker panel and has two black "nubs" on the top of it. Those nubs are antennas.

This gateway is responsible for instantly isolating the houses electrical load from the grid when there is a power outage allowing the powerwall to provide the house with backup power. It also is responsible for communicating with the Tesla app and to Tesla headquarters. When you get your solar system up and running you have to register this main gateway with Tesla before it will work at all for communicating.
It has three ways of communicating ethernet, wifi or cellular. When the system is installed it is communicating by cellular which is meant to be used as a backup system. The main way to communicate with the gateway is wifi or ethernet.

The only way to get the wifi working is to call Tesla (after registering it) and they will set you up. My cell coverage is spotty where I live and my app would stop responding here or there. Since setup on my home wifi it works great.

Model X Guy | 17. mars 2019

As stated in another post, our Powerwalls were installed yesterday. Took 4 and 1/2 hours and I am very happy with the install. Because we have a Tesla car already I did not have to do anything to have the apps for the Powerwalls appear on our phone under the regular Tesla apps. Because I had an Ethernet cable in the garage from the original monitoring system for our solar I did not need any additional equipment, but only had to connect the Ethernet cable to the router. I have ours set for backup only. The only thing I wished was available was the ability to limit the backup to something less than 100%. I called support and was assure that charging the Powerwalls to 100% will not harm them, but I am used to charging the car to no more than 80% to protect the battery. so am still a bit concerned despite the tech's reassurance.

Tesla-David | 17. mars 2019

@Model X Guy Go to the "Customize" setting for your Home Energy Gateway and select "Self Powered" mode. At that setting you can select any reserve power setting you want up to 100 percent. We have utilized Self Powered Mode since turning on our 2 PW2's on 6/22/18, and they have worked perfectly to reduce our grid draws. Since our solar ticked back up the last week of February we have not drawn any electricity from grid utilizing our solar energy entirely, and are exporting about 25 percent of excess energy back to grid with our backup energy reserve set at 20 percent for brownouts/blackouts. The Powerwalls charge back up each day to 100 percent from solar, after drawing down at night and early morning until the solar kicks back in. I can assure you that charging the batteries to 100 percent does not harm them. We have been absolutely blown away with how well they work to minimize our grid draws of electricity as a perfect complement to our solar, suppling all the electricity needs to our all electric home, charging our two Tesla's (MS and NM3), and exporting excess electricity generated back to grid (We exported 60 Percent of our solar energy back to grid last year) in Edmonds, WA.

Model X Guy | 17. mars 2019

Tesla-David I guess I did not make it clear that I do not want to use the energy from the Powerwalls to power our home at night, but only as a backup. Our 5.2KW system with a solar water heater made more than we needed before we had two electric cars. But now not so much, so we use credit when we are not here from the power company to charge them when we are here. The TOU rates here are not that good to make up for the10% round trip loss of using the Powerwalls. Also it is greener to use utility power to charge our cars at night.

Tesla-David | 17. mars 2019

@Model X Guy, my situation is entirely different from yours, as we have 13.2 kWh solar system, which provided 252 percent of our electricity needs last year, which included running our all electric home and fully charging both our Tesla's. For us it is greener to not use any grid energy for charging, when we can easily charge off our roof, so your point about it being greener to use utility power at night is not my take on our situation. My personal goal is to utilize as little of the grid energy as possible. With our powerwalls we are operating as a micro grid for 9 months of the year, but do rely on grid energy to supplement our solar between November and January, when our solar production is not sufficient.

leist001 | 22. mars 2019

Is there a way to access information the powerguide provides through a web server? If so what is the default & password?

WSE51 | 29. mars 2019

I am not aware of any User Manual or other published instructions for operating Powerwalls, or for that matter, a Tesla solar system. Tesla just installed a system in my house and did not provide anything other than a SolarCity QuickStart Guide which only shows how to install a little gateway. My Tesla installer said it was redundant as everything it can do, the Tesla iOS app can also do