Forums

EV Design Philosophies (Chevy vs BMW vs Tesla)

EV Design Philosophies (Chevy vs BMW vs Tesla)

jimglas | 10. april 2019

interesting

TeslaTap.com | 10. april 2019

Good find for us engineers! Video is new - out April 9th. Mostly looking at the batteries, motors and inverters.

dan87951 | 11. april 2019

I thought it was a very cool video. Typical GM trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. lol

David N | 11. april 2019

Nice article.

carlk | 11. april 2019

It's nice for Jalopnik to produce the video. It is not always very friendly to Tesla. Although if you watch some of those Munro interview he has a lot more good things to say about the Model 3 (and not so good things about Detroit).

Mathew98 | 11. april 2019

No need to watch the video. Here's the synopsis for y'all.

Bolt
- Designed and built in S. Korea
- Original shoebox design but let's call it "from the ground up."
- Stick an ICE shell on top of whatever mess that was the engine bay and call it a day.
- We have a "mass market EV" and it will be a T killer!
- It drives like it looks. Just imagine Woz contorting to stuff his rear end in the shoebox...

i3
- Let's to something mediocre and say we have an EV offering.
- Fugly by design to keep current loyal ICE customers.
- Worst of three world's in appearance, range, and cost.

M3
- No much to say. Test drive one and see why it outsold all other luxury brands in the US.
- We don't need any stinking advertising and lie to you.
- Go hit up your neighbor for a ride!

jordanrichard | 11. april 2019

Matthew98, the guts of the Bolt are made in S. Korea, but the car is put together here in the U.S.

TabascoGuy | 11. april 2019

Mathew98, Nice Barr notes.

Mathew98 | 11. april 2019

There's quite a bit of difference in being assembled and being built. Assembly could account for 10 - 20% production allocation. Bolt is a Korean car by any other measure.

TeslaTap.com | 11. april 2019

GM Bolt has 20% US/Canada parts content. Most is from LG:
- Electric Drive Motor
- Power Inverter Module
- Battery Cells and Pack
- On Board Charger
- Electric Climate Control System Compressor
- Battery Heater
- Accessory Power Module
- High Power Distribution Module
- Instrument Cluster
- Power Line Communication Module
- Infotainment System

Tesla Model 3 has 50% US/Canada parts content, and I think the S/X has 50% or higher US/Canada parts content.

Madatgascar | 11. april 2019

Model 3 is 75% from North America. Never thought I would see the day that an American car would be so vastly preferred over the imports.

Silver2K | 11. april 2019

Why did they leave the leaf out of this comparison?

blue adept | 11. april 2019

@TabascoGuy

Ha-ha!

+1

blue adept | 11. april 2019

Alright, so @Mathew98 called it accurately as it's clear that GM only half-assed it (kinda like one of those unanticipated, and somewhat uncomfortable, afterthoughts you have when you've seen something disturbing you can't quite manage to find the words to describe but then surprise yourself by suddenly being able to while wondering what past trauma in your life enabled you to) while BMW made more of an effort, but ended up just 'phoning it in' really (I mean, you'd be inclined to expect more out of a company that notoriously touts itself as the makers of "the ultimate driving machine", wouldn't you?!) whereas Tesla, on the other hand, meticulously and systematically considered the various options with the desired end result and concluded...

https://media.giphy.com/media/xT77Ye9vgKyQ9lqTbq/giphy.gif

...and DID!

jordanrichard | 12. april 2019

Mathew98, I agree with the notion that the Bolt is really a Korean product due to the guts of the car ("drivetrain") and all electronics are directly from LG. I was just saying that the vehicle is not from Korea, it's put together here.

Since there is no clear definition on what an "American " car is, arguing percentages of content is pointless. Every person seemingly has their own definition of what an "American car" is. Does anyone consider an I-Phone a Taiwanese product (built in) or American (designed in) Some go simply buy brand, some go buy where the profits go, some go buy where the vehicle is physically built, some go buy the content percentages, etc. etc.

Mathew98 | 12. april 2019

In the case of the iPhone, it was designed in the US and manufactured in China. It's an American product that's made in China.

OTOH, the Bolt was designed and manufactured in S. Korea. If assembly were the sole criteria of being the country of manufacturing, then it's technically "made" in the US.

jordanrichard | 12. april 2019

The Bolt is not manufactured (put together) in Korea. The VIN number of a car tell you where it was made and Bolts start off with a number, which means it was built in North America specifically in Michigan. Cars made in Korea start with a K. made in Germany, a W, made in Japan a J, made in Italy a Z.

Again as I said, there is no agreed definition on what is considered an "American car". All Honda Accords, even those to be sold in Japan, are made in Ohio, to include the engines. Through out the 90's and up until Chevy reintroduced the Camaro, Camaros were made in Canada. So which one is "American" built by Americans....?. The government doesn't have a definition, they just label content but don't, to the best of my knowledge, have a set criteria of what minimum % of U.S. parts are required for it to be categorized as an American car.

sosmerc | 12. april 2019

We are in a "world economy". Who cares about the details.....may be BEST products rule!

blue adept | 12. april 2019

Conversationally, the question of what constitutes a "Made In America" automobile really comes down to being a matter of semantics, preference and, to a lesser degree but possessing a somewhat higher profile, politics.

Specifically, it depends on which metric you use at the time of making your determination which, all things considered, might well be reflective of your own particular interests and not necessarily the actual facts.

What can be said with a degree of certainty is that Tesla's are 100% domestically produced:

http://time.com/4677817/american-cars-brands-manufacturing/

If you're wanting a more nuanced review of the matter, have a look at this auto index which outlines what percentage of your vehicle's value contributes to the overall well-being of the U.S. economy:

https://www.american.edu/kogod/research/autoindex/2018-autoindex.cfm

None of this information, however, will stop this or that talking head from popping up on your TV screen espousing the virtues of Patriotism and buying American made products as they try to sell you on buying this or that car.