Forums

Blindspot Detection Limited

Blindspot Detection Limited

I've had my Model 3 since mid-February (2019). I noticed the "Blindspot Detection Limited - Camera Visibility Reduced" message appear on my screen on April 11. I went to check out my cameras and the two on the pillars both had a mist on them (from inside the pillars). The message went away after a while when the mist dried. Is this normal?

LBTed13 | 11. april 2019

I've experienced this at least twice a week for the last 2-3 weeks. I did a chat with a Tesla rep on the website who said to power down the car, and start it back up. Did it this morning so I'm waiting to see if that helped resolve the issue over the next few days. The rep also said if it happens again, to call support and request a diagnostic and commented they will request time stamps on when the messages occurred.

stephenfootball | 11. april 2019

I started getting that message after update 8.5. Only on the first drive of the day for a few seconds then it goes away.

pmagid | 11. april 2019

You can also get it from interference from powerful airport radar stations. Not as frequently as before.... But it still happens. The wording of the message keeps getting changed, but its the same problem.

Carl Thompson | 11. april 2019

Can you try cleaning the side marker cameras and see if that helps?

RickM3 | 11. april 2019

I got the message after the 2019.8.5 upgrade, it shows up on the screen every time I park the car close to a wall or something blocking the camera view.

M3phan | 11. april 2019

@RickM3: me too.

I also got it when weather was inclement, as in foggy or misty. By not rainy.

LBTed13 | 11. april 2019

I've received it getting in to the car in the morning when it's a little moist outside. I've also received it in the afternoon when it is clear and dry out.

texxx | 11. april 2019

I see every morning as I pull out of the garage. Disappears as soon as I'm past the garage walls.

mikes | 12. april 2019

Got the message the first time after 2019.8.5 upgrade. But had previously issues with similar messages and it always disables auto lane change. I have experienced the issue caused by the airport radar, as I pass the airport daily on the interstate, but it looks like this may have improved with 8.5 upgrade. On the other hand I get more autopilot messages due to rain, mist and fog now. Checked cameras several times when messages pop up, but the only camera that is always dirty is the back up camera. I usually turn it on to see how bad it is and sometimes it is really bad without having any issues, other times it looks alright and get the fault message. As per Mobile tech that camera is part of the system for autopilot.

lbowroom | 12. april 2019

Well, I'll answer the OP's specific question about mist on the inside of the B-pillar. It makes sense that the detection is limited if the camera is fogged from the inside. No, it isn't normal for the B-pillars to be fogged on the inside, you should have it checked by service.

iLuvDividends | 14. april 2019

I started getting this with 2019.8.5 whenever I pull into my garage. I wouldn’t worry too much about it.

Paul.r.freedman | 15. april 2019

I get it sporadically. Humidity is not the problem as I live in Palm Springs. However, we do live close to the airport. I am also on 2019.8.5. I called this in to service last week. I’m hoping for a software update soo. To resolve this. It is frustrating that when you call service and they say a case is opened, you never have evidence of it in your Tesla account.

Rt002k | 15. april 2019

I got it a few times this morning. Interestingly enough, it was as I was driving directly into the sun, which is odd because that should affect the front camera not the blindspot cameras. It was repeatable too as the road curved away and towards the sun.

sazhadi | 03. juni 2019

This started for me when I received 2019.16.2 with Sentry mode on at all times. It seems like when the cameras are active more than usual, this happens quite more frequently. I park at the work parking lot and during the day, many people pass by my car during the lunch hour. When this happens, I usually have a warning on my dash about “Sentry even has occurred” message. Im going to turn off this feature of activate the location based mode so that it will not record anything at work, to see if this has anything to do with it.

P49X | 03. juni 2019

Whenever I get this message, I stop, clean the water or condensation off the pillar cameras and the message clears.

Ocala.Joe | 04. juni 2019

I get this message every time I back out of my parking spot at work in the parking garage. I am not concerned as I think the lighting is bad where it is and may be interfering with the camera views.

syclone | 04. juni 2019

This is very similar to my windshield wipers going on when I park nose-in to a dirty stucco wall.

Gordon.r.bennett | 29. juni 2019

Just got this for the first time on my model S. Had just used the washer wipers and the error came up. Car is two weeks old. Not a good start...

asingh.rad | 08. juli 2019

I can confirm that this error shows up when passing airports. Happened to me this morning passing the Louisville airport. It told me to schedule a service appt on the screen but I simply parked it at work and when I checked on it 30 min later it was gone. Still have a service appt schedule with mobile but I will see if this occurs again passing large airport towers.

Joshan | 08. juli 2019

Anytime I have gotten that message, simply cleaning the car has resolved the issue. You have to keep all sensors and cameras clean.

ecmitch | 19. oktober 2019

Live In phoenix. no rain or humidity the last few weeks. I clean my windows ,cameras and sensors each morning before I head out on my 30 mile drive. when I first got the car I had this message come up a few times. never clears while driving. recently upgraded to latest version 2019.32.12.2 58f3b76 about a week or so. this message appeared again the other morning. I car pool so after driving 26 miles and dropping off i got out and cleaned everything again. started off and it occurred again for the remainder of the trip. on the way home thatt night i cleaned everything again and sure enough it came up again. the only thing I wondered is both times I was playing music from my Iphone connect via Bluetooth. Iphone is also upgraded recently to IOS 13.1.2 . Could something be interfering here ? also does this affect anything if I am using auto steer ?

usmansuleman | 19. oktober 2019

I noticed that yesterday. I followed the advice posted elsewhere on this forum:
Shut down the car. (press both buttons on steering wheel)
Restart
Cleaned the camera on the pillars, on the front fenders and under the trunk lid.
Took the car out with autopilot.
Back in business!

FISHEV | 19. oktober 2019

I get the warnings, Blind spot off, Lane Keeping off just about every morning. It doesn’t say what is not working but must be the rear looking camera. It usually goes away but then can come back later in the day. Wet mornings or overall wet weather seems to be the key. I think most car makers use sensors vs. camera’s for those functions so likely just a factor of Tesla’s choice to use cameras which get covered up.

Tesla looked at the warnings on mine, pushed an update to see if that fixed it (it didn’t) and then scheduled a service to look at it.

spuzzz123 | 19. oktober 2019

Fake

andy | 20. oktober 2019

Had this once - damp cold morning. I keep a clean microfibre cloth in the car and a bottle of water. As we get into winter the car will be covered with a lot of salt spray and I’m expecting the cameras to get dirty.

Bigger issue is heading into low sun, which is standard round here at this time of year. The forward facing cameras can’t cope and the car runs on full manual until you turn away (or you get a lucky cloud).

garretn | 20. oktober 2019

Mobile service came out about six months ago and replaced the right side repeater to correct this error in my car. Just last week they replaced the wiring harness between the repeaters and the control module. This has been a intermittent problem for close to a year now.

genio | 22. oktober 2019

I am having this problem and my sensors are picking up object that do not exist leading to the car braking hard while on the highway. Brought it to service last Monday picked it up Friday and was told it is a known software issue that will be resolved with an update.
I am very disappointed with this performance and if it is a known issue why are there not warnings about it.

FISHEV | 04. november 2019

Tesla blind spot system got mentioned in Consumer Report owners survey.

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-safety/blind-spot-warning-guide/

Least satisfying: BMW, Volkswagen, Tesla One BMW owner points out the limitations with some systems, writing, “It actually turns off if my speed drops below 30 mph. What were they thinking? In bumper to bumper traffic it doesn't work! Or [in] slow moving traffic. Plus the light isn't in the mirror so it's not immediately apparent if the light is on. Also hard to see if it's too sunny.” A Tesla driver reveals a factor with some blind spot warnings—the location of the warning: “The blind spot monitoring system only displays on the center display panel, which is out of the line of sight of a driver using any rearview mirror during lane changes.”

spuzzz123 | 05. november 2019

Looks like Fish filled out a consumer reports survey, then requoted himself on the forums.

andy.connor.e | 05. november 2019

some people take their opinion very seriously

lbowroom | 05. november 2019

Fish, I get it. Now you’re just posting other peoples opinions

AWDTesla | 05. november 2019

Been getting these messages consistently since the cooler weather hit us this month. The side cameras are completely fogged up.

FISHEV | 05. november 2019

"Looks like Fish filled out a consumer reports survey, then requoted himself on the forums."@spuzz123

They tend to post the most common problems reported and then use an example of them. The problems with blind side indicators on the Tesla are a common complaint on all the forums so we should expect it in the CR owners survey also.

You're the only one who complains about the indicators to this extent, that the complaint is practically an agenda. I wish i got paid to keep a log of what Elon and Tesla say.

"Been getting these messages consistently since the cooler weather hit us this month. The side cameras are completely fogged up."@AWDTesla

Everyone in cooling climates is seeing it. There are two aspects though. One is that outside moisture disables the Tesla safety systems. This will usually clear up in the first few miles, if not, getting out and giving it a wipe will usually fix it.

The second is problem to be fixed as many are seeing condensation inside the pillar. This doesn't go away that fast if at all and has to be fixed by service.

https://forums.tesla.com/forum/forums/condensation-b-pillar-camera
https://forums.tesla.com/forum/forums/hw2-side-camera-fogging
https://forums.tesla.com/forum/forums/lane-departure-avoidance-limited-1
https://forums.tesla.com/forum/forums/water-side-camera

Almost as many threads as people complaining about the car being too big a couple years ago.

And that's on the still highly censored Tesla Owners Forum. Even more postings about the condensation problem on the more open forums.

"still highly censored Tesla Owners Forum"

There are many sensors

And its not an Owners Forum. I am not an owner, and am able to freely comment.

"Everyone in cooling climates is seeing it. There are two aspects though. One is that outside moisture disables the Tesla safety systems. This will usually clear up in the first few miles, if not, getting out and giving it a wipe will usually fix it.

The second is problem to be fixed as many are seeing condensation inside the pillar. This doesn't go away that fast if at all and has to be fixed by service."

Interesting. I am getting 2 messages. One goes away after a while, but the other stays on and that one says, if this message persists, please contact service.

The condensation is inside, for sure. A wipe isnt fixing my problem.

"The condensation is inside, for sure. A wipe isnt fixing my problem.:@AWDTesla

I'd get service to fix it. They can't claim that condensation inside the pillar is "nornal" and it's disabling the basic safeties on the car.

Well....especially when the message is telling you to call service. lol

I texted my Tesla Mechanic. He'll tell me what to do/where to go.

calvin940 | 05. november 2019

"Everyone in cooling climates is seeing it"

I'm in a cool/cold climate. Not seeing it. More FISHEV BS.

FISHEV doesn't not have any idea what he is talking about. Has demonstrated he does not understand the difference between kW and kWh.

"IWell....especially when the message is telling you to call service."@AWDTesla

All the messages say that "If problems persist call service". For the outside condensation I would not bother. Nothing they can fix. We have to remember to manually wipe off the four side/rear facing cameras if we want basic safeties when we start out.

The condensation on the inside, even if the warning goes off, I'd take a pic of it and make Tesla reseal the pillar cam.

calvin940 | 05. november 2019

calvin940 | November 5, 2019
"Everyone in cooling climates is seeing it"

I'm in a cool/cold climate. Not seeing it. More FISHEV BS.

FISHEV doesn't not have any idea what he is talking about. Has demonstrated he does not understand the difference between kW and kWh.

except hes not far off here and you fanbois need to go into chill mode. Stat.

FISHEV, that's exactly what my tesla mechanic just texted back. Said he wants me to send a picture of the camera condensation next time the error pops up so he can decide what to do next. Guess he wants proof its happening from the inside out. Not a problem, happens every morning, about 5 minutes after leaving the warm garage.

Joshan | 05. november 2019

@AWDTesla no one is saying there is not an issue. What people are saying is you cannot say EVERYONE, it is NOT affecting everyone. Stick to the facts.

Nothing to do with "fanboys" stop trying to make it sound political. Just stick to the facts.

How about you guys just ignore those kind of statements then instead of letting it bother you? I can guarantee you will get much better results.

Joshan | 05. november 2019

how about you do? hold yourself to your own standard.

like I said, maybe go into chill mode for bit. www.ocs.ca can help you with that.

I'm just trying to make this place better. Read the comments on TMC lately? This place is a joke because of the fanbois chasing anybody out that doesn't tow their line.

I get good laughs here, so thanks for that.

Pages