Forums

Entering and leaving your model 3 while on a call

Entering and leaving your model 3 while on a call

I often arrive at work while on a cell phone call. My model 3 keeps the call on the car Bluetooth until I’m out and door is locked, then it switches to the handset. Same when entering the car, it switches after I unlock the doors. Both cause a short period when my phone is connected to an empty car. In my prior cars the Bluetooth disengaged when turning off the car or opening the doors, which was a more seamless transition.

I can manually switch away from bluetooth on the phone, but it’s a hassle. Do you know a better way, can this behavior be configured? I’m using an iPhone.

MrSexyTime | 15. april 2019

After reading your first paragraph, I was going to relay how to change your audio output.

Then I read your second paragraph and that my advice was going to be, since you're going to work, to use the manual action as an opportunity to get out of lazy ass mode.

Then I noticed you noted the switch when the car is locked. Try locking with the screen (touch the lock), or leave the key in your wallet use it to lock as you exit.

Carl Thompson | 15. april 2019

Is it really that much of a hassle to say "hang on a sec, I'm getting out of my car." Or to press a button on the phone that's undoubtedly in your hand because your removing it from the car?

brian | 15. april 2019

My BIGGER issue with this isn't what you're describing. I do the manual switch from my phone's handset... not really an issue. But then if you open the trunk, a back door to grab a laptop bag, whateer... you're BACK ON FRIGGIN CAR AUDIO again. That really is a PITA.

Neomaxizoomdweebie | 15. april 2019

How about after parking you swipe down on phone screen, disable Bluetooth, and then get out and walk away.

EVRider | 15. april 2019

I don’t think everyone else would want the call to transfer from the car to the phone when you open a door. If Tesla ever adds that feature, hopefully it will be configurable. Since you don’t turn the car off, what you’re doing now is probably the best option.

Lorenzryanc | 15. april 2019

@Neomaxizoomdweebie That will transfer the call properly, but the car won't auto-lock if Bluetooth is off. IF you use your method, ensure you lock via card or app.

82bert | 15. april 2019

#First world problems.

Mikael13 | 15. april 2019

My solution to this is after pressing “P” to park, I transfer the call to my Airpods before stepping out of the vehicle. Easy peasy

Magic 8 Ball | 15. april 2019

Configure yourself to be retired.

@Lorenzryanc,
Good point. I just did a little experiment and determined that you can first open door, disable Bluetooth, tap lock icon on Tesla display, then get out and the door will lock on closing. Mirrors did not automatically fold.

Duh! Best option, on phone’s call screen tap on the Audio button and change to whatever your choice is besides the car. I’ve done this many times in my old car but haven’t found the opportunity yet in my Tesla. Just verified it works.