Forums

Optimal Charging Limit

Optimal Charging Limit

Curious to know what other ppl are doing in terms of their charging habits. Based on what others are saying online, keeping the battery 50-70% charged seems to be optimal. I am currently charging my new Model3 daily to 80% and using it down to 30-40%. I wonder if the top line % is more important than the bottom one. I I am thinking to try 90% charge up and use down to 50%. But it will be hard to experiment with myself since battery decay takes long time to show.

Effopec | 17. kan 2019

The main thing is don't overthink it. Avoid charging to 100% as much as possible. Other than that, you're good. Personally I have mine set to 70% and plug in every night. On weekdays I have it start charging again about a half hour before I leave for work which I figure should warm the battery up a bit. Probably doesn't matter too much in summer, but I've kept it going anyway as it's gotten warmer. I don't need any more miles than that in my usual daily drives so no need to go higher. If I know I will be driving a bit more I will bump it up to 90%. I live in Dallas so I also charge in the middle of the night most of the time so it's as cool as possible. I've only charged full once before taking a trip (read 309 miles), but since then I realized that I am usually going to stop at a SC anyway, and I can easily reach those from 90% depending on the direction I am traveling.

andy.connor.e | 17. kan 2019

They are equally as important. 80-100 is the same as 0-20. Keep it below 80 and above 20.

The only "damage" you will do by going outside of that range will be over a long period of time and by doing it consistently. Like your phone, if you kept it between 20 and 80%, you would probably see a more consistent battery life over 2-5 years. Whereas, by the time the typical persons phone reaches year 2, you can already notice significant battery life loss from 100 to 0%.

But we're talking about thousands of cells vs 1 cell. So if you were, key word "were", to see any battery life loss, it would not be for many hundreds of thousands of miles, or for probably a decade.

M3D | 17. kan 2019

I am charging to 80% because regen works at 80% right now. At 90% with no regen I figure that is less efficient overall.

Teslanene | 17. kan 2019

@andy I must be killing my battery, my range is charge to 90+ and drain it to 10-15% and supercharge it all the way to 90+. I have a couple more months of free supercharging so this is my routine.

jordanrichard | 17. kan 2019

While I don’t have a Model 3, I have owned my Model S 85 since March 2014 and presently have 154,000 miles. My routine over the years has been to use what I call seasonal charging. I go up to 80% during the warmer months and then to help mitigate the cold weather range loss, I bump that up to 90%. I rarely get below 20% and I have only lost 4.4%. I only charge the car to 100% once a year at the same time of the year, August, just to see what it charges up to.

PT733 | 18. kan 2019

A recent Fully Charged video showed a battery powered ferry that tops-up after every short crossing. They keep the battery within 40% and 66%

Accubattery shows 40-66% is just 5% of a cycle wear for this 26% depth of discharge (calendar wear should also be reduced at this lower charge state)

If the car in the future could cope with repeated charging to 66% and shallow cycling, this would be very good for the battery.

26% of 300 miles is 78 miles
26% or 80 kWh is 21 kWh, so a charger would top-up in about
Constant 7kW charge: 21/7 = 3 h
Constant 50kW charge: 21/50 = 0.42 h = 25 mins

joshuatshelly | 18. kan 2019

Musk was very clear about this: charge to 90% daily; leave it plugged in until you depart.

Also, Regen works fine at 90%.

Beware of the blind leading the blind.

kevin_rf | 18. kan 2019

Charge to what you need, With a 90+ daily commute in a LR I do 80%. 90% if I'm planning a 200 miles plus day. Typically I only need 100-150 miles of usable range.

Next week heading to the land of Tesla's and Ev's. I will leave the car in the garage unplugged for the week. This is to spare the batteries a few microscopic charging cycles.

Tuning In | 18. kan 2019

90% Will result in a regen inhibit in when the battery is cold. Around 50 degrees. You also won’t get full regen unless it is hot, though it will provide some level of regen. Look at your regen and power meter and it will show this to be true. Dotted lines indicate that there is limited regen.

Based of my routine commute for over a year now, For that time during my commute when I drive between 90-80%, I see a 50-100wh/mile increase in consumption, which I don’t see If I charge to 80% instead. It doesn’t make a big impact my overall wh/mile for my long commute, but if my commute were short, it definitely would make a huge difference.

msmith55 | 18. kan 2019

Keep SOC centered around 50 percent for max battery life, it's both the low and high, ideal is 35 low and 65 high, but your difference is only about hitting the 20 percent decline in 10 years instead of 8 years. And occasionally exceeding limit has little effect if you keep it centered most of the time.

jjgunn | 18. kan 2019

Limited Regen will happen at any SoC when the battery is cold.

I charge to 87%-88% & have zero issues with Regen. Never charge above 90%. I rarely let the battery get below 20% & never below 10% -- zero degradation so far after 22,000 miles.

MyRedM3 | 18. kan 2019

I charge to 80% and then again when it hits 20%. It takes me 3 days to get to 20%. so couple of times a week and will leave plugged in until the morning on the days i charge.

ST70 | 18. kan 2019

77.8% is ideal

Tuning In | 18. kan 2019

At above 50 degrees I get no limited regen at 80% SOC, which I do get at 90%. I’m not talking about extreme cold and Im not talking about the alert message. I’m talking about not getting full regen.

kevin_rf | 19. kan 2019

Why does full regret matter? You only need it if you are heavy on the braking. Cool a little and you won't need to breaker as hard.

kevin_rf | 19. kan 2019

Chill $#&@¥€¢ auto correct!!!

Tuning In | 19. kan 2019

Full regen matters for efficiency and perhaps even reduced brake usage. If your commute includes stop and go traffic it makes a difference in terms of being able to do single pedal driving. In autopilot where it tends to stop more abruptly, it helps the car use more regen and less brake.

To get that the only effort needed to make it do so is to slide the charge limit down a little.

Frank99 | 19. kan 2019

LiIon batteries really don't care about how low you discharge them (well, as long as you stay above what the BMS permits). Feel free to discharge down to 0%.
LiIon batteries do care about 100% charge, especially staying at 100% charge for days in hot temperatures.

Take Tesla's advice, rather than random Internet commentators. Set your daily charge limit to 90% (or, if it makes you feel better, whatever lower limit tickles your fancy. I use 80%, but then I live in Phoenix and Summer's coming). Feel free to charge to 100% if you're doing a trip and it's necessary. Leave the car plugged in at home.

Based on the known data about battery degradation, you're gonna still have >90% of range available at 200,000 miles/300,000 km, so worrying about precise optimal charging protocols is, IMHO, silly.

gballant4570 | 19. kan 2019

I just do what Elon said.... plug it in, daily charge to 90%. Don't overthink it.

007bond | 19. kan 2019

No need to overthink this Tesla says to leave it plugged in all the time and charge to 90% and they are the ones warranting the battery.

Considering the cost of battery replacement don't you think that if there was a charging strategy that was better Tesla would be pushing that????

Remember who has their neck on the line if a battery fails early.

Also if you were doing something wrong the cars battery management would warn you. Just like if you charge to 100% for a trip and let it sit a little to long you get a warning that you are reducing battery life.

So set to 90% charge, drive, enjoy, charge, drive, enjoy no need to overthink it.

Resist | 19. kan 2019

Actually Elon said 90 to 95% is fine. But many have suggested that the battery pack is actually higher than rated and has a built in buffer, so a frequent 100% charge wouldn't even hurt it. The down side of course is the loss of regenerative braking until the battery level is reduced.

When I picked up my Model 3 last year the rep told me to charge it up to 70% and not less than 30%, I laughed knowing at the time it really was higher.