Forums

What's the one thing you'd change about the Model 3? (Updated with comments)

What's the one thing you'd change about the Model 3? (Updated with comments)

Update: We're moving to the next phase of this thread - making sense of all the input provided. Have fun analyzing the inputs :)

This is a thread to understand how close to ideal this car is.

This thread is not meant to hate on Tesla or Model 3.

Please, please, pick only one item. If applicable share how you cope with the thing you'd like changed.

Extra bonus - try to share ideas that would improve the car without increasing the price of the car.

Thanks

vmulla | 06. juni 2019

Make the dashcam storage memory integrated into the car, with playback capabilities on the screen.

Kary993 | 06. juni 2019

Door handles......

legna_fo_htaed | 06. juni 2019

Solar panel on the roof. Would have added to the cost, but been so much closer to Tesla's mission of sustainable energy.

Lonestar10_1999 | 06. juni 2019

Doors with window frames. The doors would be stronger, quieter, and those annoying phantom window roll downs would be eliminated.

I would also like full windshield wiper control from the stalk. Its dangerous to divert your eyes to the screen in order to adjust the wiper speed.

Quinten | 06. juni 2019

Power lift trunk would be nice as they can do it for the Model Y....

kevin_rf | 06. juni 2019

How the wiper fluid does not clean the driver side window, especially in the winter!

mrburke | 06. juni 2019

My one improvement to the M3 would be to only allow the back seats to be folded down when the car is unlocked.

This one thing would greatly reduce the break-ins some area's of the country is seeing.

PECo CT | 06. juni 2019

User adjustable regen.

Neomaxizoomdweebie | 06. juni 2019

Make it SiriusXM ready.

Atom12 | 06. juni 2019

Pop-up temperature slider should include a fan speed slider.

metzger.bob | 06. juni 2019

Door Handles & phone holder tray

jim | 06. juni 2019

Instead of 2 USB 2.0 ports in the front half of the center console, I'd like to see 2 USB 3.0 ports, 2 USB-C ports along with support for Qi charging. Also move the 12v charger into the front part of the console.

Even better would be having the USB port assembly redone as a modular system so we could choose a configuration such as all USB-C ports. Having it be modular will reduce the chances of obsolescence.

leo33 | 06. juni 2019

I'd like better rear view and blind spot visibility. I deal with it by sometimes turning on the rear camera, and by letting auto lane change double-check my blind spot.

rajivrag | 06. juni 2019

Higher and more comfortable rear seats.

bpatter123 | 06. juni 2019

voice designation of thumb wheel function. e.g. if you said "adjust temperature". for 10 seconds the L thumb wheel would move the temp setting up or down. use also for mirror adj, following distance, etc.

Mike UpNorth | 06. juni 2019

Make it into a Chevy Jolt.

Mde0509 | 06. juni 2019

2TB Storage for video games!

M3phan | 06. juni 2019

+1 Sentry mode videos viewable and deletable on car screen

synfendia | 06. juni 2019

Connect the user profile with the phone key/key card/key fob. So whatever key unlocked the car, that is what profile is recalled. Sure sometimes the car could be unlocked by a passenger's phone if they approached first. But it will get it right more often the wrong. And you could make this a settings option if some people don't want this.
This seems like such a simple, obvious thing to do. I don't understand why this hasn't happened.

cnistal1 | 06. juni 2019

Add Spotify, get rid of Slacker. Like they have in Europe.

Syed.Hosain | 06. juni 2019

Change the jet on the driver side wiper so that it sprays where the wiper can *properly* clean the windshield in that location.

M3phan | 06. juni 2019

Oh oh!!! Ability to completely turn off vent on either side.

M3phan | 06. juni 2019

(I like air blowing, wife in passenger seat doesn’t, best current option is to point her venting up and to left. Complete shut off would be better)

couplinl | 06. juni 2019

Alert / change MPH when near a school.

crmedved | 06. juni 2019

Passive entry key fob, for those of us with older phones that don't work well with their Bluetooth LE implementation.

Atoms | 06. juni 2019

Reduce the force on the sticks to signal and change drive/reverse.

Seth.e.levine | 06. juni 2019

Put all speed info on the same line, so speed limit is to right of speedometer and set speedto left

Seth.e.levine | 06. juni 2019

Alert driver when phone or key card is left in the car

vmulla | 06. juni 2019

I'm surprised no one said anything about gloss center console - it was the #1 complaint when I started a similar thread over a year ago.

ArcticStation | 06. juni 2019

Make air suspension available as a priced option. It only increases the price if you opt for it.

Some of us live in states with terrible roads. A few roads near my home are so bad that I won't drive our Model 3 on them--the suspension system simply isn't complaint enough to deal with roads that have been through brutal winters followed by inadequate maintenance and repair by state and local governments. Instead, I drive an eight year old "beater" when I know I'm going to have to drive on potholed, uneven and poorly maintained state and local back roads, and I save the Model 3 for travel primarily on interstates and federal highways. Air suspensions would go a long way in mitigating this issue.

bradmoroni | 06. juni 2019

Door handles and closing the "frunk" lid. The idea that you can't enter the car or close that front trunk without getting fingerprints on the $2000 paint is ludicrous.

tjs8040 | 06. juni 2019

+1 leo33 !

BuffaloBillsFan | 06. juni 2019

So many good ideas, most of which could be implemented in a software upgrade. My favorite would unfortunately not be available with a software upgrade. That would be the solar roof panels . . . I don’t know if he/she came up with it first, but thanks to legna_fo_htaed for introducing me to that idea. Tesla makes solar roof tiles. Why can’t they make a solar roof for the M3? Imagine not having to re-charge for a 300-400 mile journey on a sunny day! The bonus would be an improvement in Musk’s solar roofing endeavor, which is not performing as predicted according to analysts. Win-huge major win-win for Musk, M3 owners, and for the environment.

Mr. Musk. Please make this happen.

Roof is about 2 or 3 square meters at most. Maybe pulling down 1000 watts on a good day if the car was aligned perfectly with sun overhead. That gets you about an extra 4 miles per hour of driving. 3 miles of driving interstate speeds. Not sure the juice is worth the squeeze. Cool idea, though!

Magic 8 Ball | 06. juni 2019

Nissan dropped their little solar panel on the roof, just sayn'. It was looked at just not practical.

kallian | 06. juni 2019

The only thing that has urked me is the soft stick blinker. I keep doing the blinker the other way or same way to cancel but sometimes its just still on or re-engages! Its annoying over taking people with it while your going ... fast.

calvin940 | 06. juni 2019

vmulla | June 6, 2019
"Make the dashcam storage memory integrated into the car, with playback capabilities on the screen."

I'll go one up on you... would like to do above but on the app as well as view my sentry cameras live on the Tesla app.

FISHEV | 06. juni 2019

Blind side indicators since they are the only thing I'm considering spending money to fix.

wallacej010 | 06. juni 2019

I like a lot of these ideas. It seems many could be software implemented, so I imagine I will get them in time. Maybe some of the hardware changes will be able to be retrofitted like the new FSD chip. That would be nice, too.

What I really wish Tesla would have done for MY car is made the WHITE interior..... ALL WHITE... sheesh.

jimglas | 06. juni 2019

SiriusXM radio
I drive in some rural areas without LTE
Can’t always stream

bradmoroni | 06. juni 2019

The first thing I asked a sales rep was, "why don't they make the roof a solar panel?" and as I watched the guy stammer and stall as he made up some nonsensical, technical sounding crap about the angle of the sun it became obvious they are trained to steer away from discussing the subject. After driving my car for only two days and charging it fully each night the car scolded me about "overcharging" because it will shorten the battery life. I of course on't want to be away from home when I need to charge so I like the idea of "topping off" the charge whenever I am home. Then it dawned on me, that's what they want. I get it now. Can't you feel the hustle? They are all about selling the charge time. Tesla must be making big profit on superchargers.

M3phan | 06. juni 2019

@bradmoroni, why would you top off the battery? Good chArge practice does not require it.

Bradmoron,
Your handle says it all. Best to return the car for a full refund. You got taken.

wallacej010 | 06. juni 2019

From my experience with my personal solar array and interpolating based on the potential size of roof mounted photovoltaics, I would think you would get, AT BEST, 10-12 miles per "day" from a car mounted solar panel. So I imagine some would want this option, but I just doubled my rooftop array to get 14kwh x 7 hours on a good day which would probably charge my Model 3 although, I just use it to completely power my house.

chiyuh | 06. juni 2019

Heads up display

howard | 06. juni 2019

Made by GM.

Howard, you are just precious!

P49X | 06. juni 2019

Air suspension with GPS-smart height positioning.

We live in a remote mountain location with less than stellar road conditions.

wiscy67 | 06. juni 2019

Air suspension. Honorable mention: accurate speed limits.

Steven.Haver | 06. juni 2019

Tall people wish the driver side mirror would adjust just a little further to the left. I can never get it quite in the right position.

Pages