Forums

Supercharger Status Lights

Supercharger Status Lights

Recently I was at a Supercharger that had an issue with one of the chargers.

When I attempted to charge using the 4A charger my 3 would not charge. A few days prior to that the Denver Service Center had replaced the charger, so I was confident that it was not an issue with my car. Upon switching to the 4B charger the problem was resolved. I called the Roadside Assistance number and reported the issue. The Representative was very professional and courteous.

After the call ended I saw another 3 attempting to use the same charger. I had to inform the driver of the issue. If I had not been there the driver would not have known and may have been left without any juice/power in the battery pack when he/she went back to the car.

For times like those the red light on the top of malfunctioning individual Superchargers should turn off as an indicator to drivers before they pull up to them. That way they would know to switch letters and/or numbers and/or choose a different Supercharger location if possible.

jordanrichard | 15. juni 2019

When using the supercharger, it by-passes the onboard charger.

As for them turning a charger light off, I don’t know that they can do that remotely. I had an interesting experience with a particular charging stall. My chargeport (Model S) wouldn’t respond to the pressing of the button on the cable. So, I used the charging screen to “manually” open the charge port, plugged in and it charged just fine. Sometimes the charging stalls can be glitchy...

TeslaTap.com | 16. juni 2019

@jennifer - Also points out a great lesson - be sure the car is actually charging before leaving to get food/shopping/etc. Tesla seems to be really good about quickly repairing problem stalls, but you do have to let them know. Those L2 chargers on private networks seem far more iffy, with some dead for months at a time.

Uncle Paul | 16. juni 2019

I Southern California it is customary to unplug the charging cable of a non functioning charger, and put it over the top of the pillar. Next guy coming up can easily see that there has been a problem getting a charge there.

Service can easily plug it back into it's holder when repaired.

Only problem I see with this if it is something that can be fixed remotely. Then people will not know it is back in service.

When the stalls fill up, an owner most likely give the out of service slot a try, and maybe find it working again, and get their charge and return it to operational status.