Forums

SR+ USB Audio Not Continuous Overnight

SR+ USB Audio Not Continuous Overnight

I noticed when I go to lunch, music from the morning drive will continue to play. Same thing when I head home in the evening, music from the lunch drive will carry on. But once I get home, plug into home charger, leave it overnight, ready to go to work the next day, music is off so whatever artist/album/song I was listening is gone and I'd have to start over.

Very annoying. Is there a fix?

TeslaTap.com | 18. juli 2019

It'a a bit unclear - are you saying that when you exit the car at lunch, lock the doors, the USB music continues to play? It should shut off immediately.

One guess is a door is slightly ajar or perhaps a door switch is broken. Can you actually lock the car? If not, it's a big clue. If the car locks, then it's not a door issue.

pkmantmc | 18. juli 2019

No. What I'm saying is that when driving to work in the morning, whatever music I was playing at the time of exiting the car will be the same music when I re-enter the car going to lunch. The "music button" will be turn itself back on.
If I was listening to an album, playlist or song alphabetically or shuffle, it will carry on.

So basically, the music turns itself back on when I exit the car for short duration; ~4 hours between work-to-lunch, ~1 hour lunch, ~4 hours between after-lunch-to-home. However overnight it will not turn itself back on in the morning. Whatever album/artist/playlist I was listening to would be gone and I'd have to start over.

Does that explain better?

Stach | 18. juli 2019

I have the exact same experience with my Model 3 SR+ as well. If you only leave it for a few hours, then it will continue playing the music, right where it stopped, when you drive the car. However, anything longer than that, and then I get no music whatsoever and my SR+ just sitting showing me the 2 USB partitions that are loaded, waiting for me to select one, and then continue to select a new song to play.

It seems very time or sleep dependent, but I have no idea what the magic number or trigger is.
-Stach

EVRider | 19. juli 2019

In both our Model 3 and Model S, USB playback usually resumes where it left off when we get in the car, but sometimes it doesn’t. It actually works much better now than it used to, and I assume it will get better in the future. I haven’t tried this, but you could try removing your video USB (if you use one) and see if things improve.

pkmantmc | 19. juli 2019

Found an article on this:

https://cleantechnica.com/2018/07/28/tesla-model-3-review-the-things-you...

In particular "But to Tesla, the music delivery appears to be an afterthought warranting less attention than the glovebox... Trying to play your own music on a USB drive is an exercise in futility. Tesla forces the driver to pick among the folders in order to begin playing the USB. The car forgets what you were listening to when you park and forces you to once again select “USB” and look up the folders and songs in order to begin again...."

I just went into Tesla support and logged the request. Hopefully it's as simple as an over-the-air-update.

pkmantmc | 05. august 2019

This problem seems to be fixed. I left the radio on after coming home on Saturday night and didn't drive the 3 on Sunday. Today just as I was to exit the 3 at company's parking lot, I realized that the radio is playing and I didn't turn it on this morning.

Didn't try the USB music but I'm assuming if it works for radio it should work as well. Any of you noticed this? I wonder if the update was given only to me, since I logged the request with Tesla, or if everyone else benefited?

TeslaTap.com | 05. august 2019

@pkmantmc - Sounds like that user never actually used Tesla's USB music. Tesla automatically sorts music so you can pick by album, genre, artist, folder, etc. Within a section, you can quickly go to a subsection by the alpha quick selector, or swipe down or up. You can also add a music selections to favorites. Almost no one uses Folder to pick music, but it's there if you have some strange folder layout.

Ok, back to your USB - I thought the SR/SR+ didn't get USB music. It was supposed to only be on the MR/LR versions. That may explain why you're having problems? Sounds like it might be partly enabled when it should be entirely disabled. Sorry to say, bringing it to Tesla's attention may kill it completely for your SR+ or with luck maybe they will fully enable it.

jvcesare | 05. august 2019

I had all kinds of issues with the USB forgetting its place or just hanging. I switched to a 480 GB SSD drive housed in a portable USB 3.0 case and the problems went away. The drive is formatted with 2 partitions, the first for video and the 2nd for music. IMO the constant writing of video is causing a seek issue on slow thumb drives.
BTW although the car doesn't support USB 3.0, it is lightning fast when loading all of your music from a computer or NAS.

pkmantmc | 06. august 2019

Last evening on my drive home from work, I switched music to USB Device to test.

This morning it did not turn on (complete silence), leaving me to think that the problem isn't solved.

However this afternoon, driving to lunch, it turned on and right where I left off yesterday evening.

Quite strange... don't understand why.