Forums

Thanks to Tesla M3 - Avoided a Crash

Thanks to Tesla M3 - Avoided a Crash

Thanks! to Tesla, I barely avoided crashing into other car and also flying off into the opposite lane.
Here is a link to the video (first 15 seconds)
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1kGtaFg4RNlY4f28cmXVgNb6YU05_VMz9

Sideswipe | 19. juli 2019

Wow! Were you in control or was EAP doing the driving? If it was EAP, I didn't realize it was that far along yet. Impressive..

Joshan | 19. juli 2019

VERY COOL!!!

jimglas | 19. juli 2019

nice save

raqball | 19. juli 2019

That's awesome.. I like seeing videos and posts like this. Thanks for sharing.

OutOfTheStars | 19. juli 2019

I was in control. I was in a shock when this happened. I feel like the car was very stable but may not stop. I feel like the car might have helped a bit to control it.

Bighorn | 19. juli 2019

Other videos show the car automatically steering away from a collision much like this.

St☰v☰ | 19. juli 2019

Stupid PT Cruiser... I would have had words, or at least a gesture or two with them... I hate stupid and inattentive drivers and SoCal is loaded with them.

Joshan | 19. juli 2019

everywhere is loaded with them :( hence why we need Autonomy ASAP.

@Bighorn, I've seen other videos of Teslas avoiding crashes, but I haven't come across one yet where it was clearly stated that it was the reaction of EAP that avoided the accident. In this case, it was the reaction of OutOfTheStars (perhaps aided by the quick maneuverability of the car). If you're aware of any videos showing EAP avoiding a collision, I would love to see them.

I don't know how advanced EAP is in collision avoidance. My understanding was that it wasn't very far along yet.

Daryl | 19. juli 2019

OP: You said you were in control? Then are you saying that AP didn't swerve to avoid the accident?

In that case, what is the point of posting this here?

CharleyBC | 19. juli 2019

As I re-read the thread, I think it's clear Op is saying Autopilot wasn't engaged. What's not clear (at least to me) is whether it was OP or the car itself that made the avoidance maneuver.

Bighorn | 19. juli 2019

@sideswap
@Jen/PhillyGal posted her episode
https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=7WTtP3-2Ews

Joshan | 19. juli 2019

I had AP do almost that exact thing for me, but my flash drive was full :(

Bighorn | 19. juli 2019
Bighorn | 19. juli 2019

Sorry, sideswipe, not swap.

LOL. I hadn't even noticed. But thanks anyway.

It’d be cool during an automatic evasive maneuver similar to this one if the car would automatically lean on the horn. That might sooner alert the other driver to the error of his or her ways, and get them to help avoid the collision.

Joshan | 19. juli 2019

brought this up before on another forum when this was floated. Im my town (and many others) it is illegal to honk for non accident avoiding reasons. I know in what you are describing there is a reason.

I do fear for an false alerts though, and getting a ticket for something out of my control.

OutOfTheStars | 19. juli 2019

My car is a LR AWD.
I did not even HONK after the incident, I was in shock, it took a few seconds to get back to normal. I steered towards the median and applied a hard brake. I CAN NOT say for sure if it was JUST my input that helped avoid the crash. I would give full credits to the way the car handled mechanically also the sensors and the software might have helped too. I still can’t believe how I safely got out of this.
Here is a left side view, but it hardly shows what happened.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=16SeowF5go4tlgZfrEZjEfthcEv6hBdUT

jamilworm | 19. juli 2019

I'd be extemely surprised if AP would drive onto the median like that to avoid a collision. That was a very inpresive maneuver by the op.

Nice evasive move there, @OutOfTheStars. I now understand that you're crediting the car with good handling characteristics that enabled the move to work well.

Reminds me of an incident I had in February. Driving at night on a two-lane road with no shoulder. Suddenly a rusty old pickup with no lights on came out of a cross street and stopped, blocking half my lane with no time for me to stop. In an instant, my mind visualized the impending collision and the demise of my brother who was in the passenger seat. The reality was that I was able to swerve the car into the oncoming (blessedly vacant) lane, and all I lost was parts of the right side mirror. The car absolutely behaved as an extension of my instincts.