Forums

Cadillac Escalade to go Electric?

Cadillac Escalade to go Electric?

I feel like I am reading 2 opposite concepts in the same title

https://www.ctvnews.ca/autos/electric-trim-of-cadillac-s-upcoming-escala...

RedShift | 23. juli 2019

Yes, yes, give in to the dark side.... HAHAHAHAHA. :-)

Maxxer | 23. juli 2019

Now I’ll have a hard time to choose because I need an 8 passenger...

TabascoGuy | 24. juli 2019

Maxxer - better rethink that, they're gonna need to replace that back row of seats with the extra batteries needed to get the 400 mile range.

blue adept | 24. juli 2019

It's all smoke and mirrors and vaporware until they actually churn out several thousand of them to the public-at-large, you know, like Tesla has.

TabascoGuy | 25. juli 2019

@blue, I responded to you in the truck thread and then read your reply above. Spooky.

johncrab | 25. juli 2019

Escalade already outweighs Model X by 600kg. Perhaps Die Hard batteries strapped to the roof or towed behind on a small trailer. Ah, but no worries about charging. The aftermarket will take care of that at 20 Amps. Tesla’s golden arrow continues to be its understand of the need to charge vehicles.

blue adept | 26. juli 2019

@TabascoGuy

Cue eerie Twilight Zone intro music....

bp | 29. juli 2019

if Cadillac is planning to use the same chassis for gas and electric versions of the Escalade, they'll lose out on some of the benefits of designing a chassis & body for EV only, which likely could mean higher KWh/mile energy consumption and larger battery packs than a Tesla vehicle of comparable size/range coupled with Tesla's more efficient in-house manufacturing of the battery packs and motors - for Cadillac to compete on price they'll likely lose $ on every sale...

TeslaTap.com | 29. juli 2019

Expect they will need 600 kW/m or so, perhaps a lot more considering it's not aerodynamic. For 400 miles range, that requires a 240 kW + 10% safety buffer or 264 kW pack. That adds about 2500 lbs to the weight of vehicle, so everything has to be strengthened, and beefed up adding more weight. I would expect handling to be far more truck like that premium vehicle like too. I can't see this being sold for less than $120K, perhaps $150K or more. At that price, I suspect they can sell a few dozen.

SamO | 29. juli 2019

@TT,

math doesn't care about GM's feelings

andy.connor.e | 29. juli 2019

@TeslaTap

Please use units properly. Your entire post is butchered with improper units.

SamO | 29. juli 2019

Best just to use absolute units

https://images.app.goo.gl/awNnf8az4JxZQRsD8

rxlawdude | 29. juli 2019

As the thought of another GM EV disaster, I'm thinking more Absolutly (sic).
https://www.absolut.com/us/products/

blue adept | 29. juli 2019

Lol!

Cheers @rxlawdude

Tropopause | 29. juli 2019

The first sentence, "According to a media report,..."

Where is this media report? No reference. I say it's fake news.

TeslaTap.com | 29. juli 2019

@andy - Sorry about that - should be kWh in a number of places, but tend to shorthand it to kW, which agreed is not technically correct, but often done by many in the forums. I'll try to be better!

Yodrak. | 29. juli 2019

"I can't see this being sold for less than $120K, perhaps $150K or more. At that price, I suspect they can sell a few dozen."

This was my thought also - the price penalty.

bp | 01. august 2019

In order to compete with Tesla's aggressive pricing for Tesla's S/3/X (and likely Y/pickup), it's very likely the other manufacturers may sell their competing long range EVs at a loss (even with the US tax credit advantage they'll have initially).

Wouldn't be surprised to see Cadillac lose money on their first EVs...

TeslaTap.com | 01. august 2019

ICE companies can afford to lose about $10K per car - which is what it may cost them to get ZEV credits. Of course they only need ZEV credits for about 1% of the pollution mobiles they sell, so as soon as that threshold is met, they stop selling the EVs. My theory is they often pick a hideous design to keep sales low. It would be too much to ask to make a real competitive car with Tesla.

Yodrak. | 01. august 2019

"Expect they will need 600 kW/m or so, perhaps a lot more considering it's not aerodynamic. For 400 miles range, that requires a 240 kW + 10% safety buffer or 264 kW pack. That adds about 2500 lbs to the weight of vehicle, so everything has to be strengthened, and beefed up adding more weight."

Further thought in regard to this part of TeslaTap's earlier post - the Escalade is a gas hog, it's going to be an electricity hog as well. It may be cheap to fuel compared to a gas Escalade, but it's going to be expensive to fuel for an EV.

TabascoGuy | 02. august 2019

I put $95.00 into my Escalade every week, even if I went down to $95.00 once a month or even every two weeks for an EV Caddy, that's still a huge amount of money saved. Plus RIP to one more gas hog.

TeslaTap.com | 02. august 2019

@TabascoGuy - I like your thinking! I just noticed I incorrectly wrote 600 kW/m above. It should have been 600 W/mile, and that's what I used in the calculations. An EV Escalade should cost between 1/2 and 1/4 the cost to run over the ICE version.

Tropopause | 03. august 2019

GM's Fed tax credits are in the phase out process; does this include all subsidiaries such as Cadillac?

theviraltricks143 | 03. august 2019

GB WhatsApp

VIVO IPL 2020

theviraltricks143 | 03. august 2019
Yodrak. | 03. august 2019

"I put $95.00 into my Escalade every week"

Damn, that would put a big damper in my beer budget.

TeslaTap.com | 04. august 2019

@Tropopause "GM's Fed tax credits are in the phase out process; does this include all subsidiaries such as Cadillac?

Yep. No tax credit will be available by the time an EV Escalade appears.

TabascoGuy | 05. august 2019

@Yodrak. I hear ya! That's why I keep it down to one or two, except on poker night.