Forums

So, navigate to super charger accurate?

So, navigate to super charger accurate?

It says I can make it to GreenBay SC and will get there with 12% battery remaining.
Those estimates are pretty accurate? Would hate the calculations to be off and I run out of Kw before I get there.
Of course it depends on my driving and throttle use. But will be a standard car like driver on the hiway. But, seems 12% is pretty low and not leaving myself or the car much fudge factor.
Is 12 considered pretty low? How low can you go. Sure, somebody will say once got down to 2 miles of range left, but in general plan trips to and stops to charge at 10-12% Better to plan at 20%? No sense in stopping when get to 50%....nobody fills their gas tank when it gets the half way mark.

I'm talking a road trip here.
I plug it in every night and charge to 80% about 200mile range

S75D

Coo

EVRider | 02. august 2019

If 80% is about 200 miles, your total range is around 250. 12% of that is 30 miles. That doesn't seem dangerously low to me, and it's not cold, so unless you're going uphill a lot you should be okay.

CooHead | 02. august 2019

Yes, when fully charged before a trip it shows 251 range.
Now I'm guessing/asking/wondering--> when navigate to destination and it tells me I'd get there with 12% left, that is calculated from present state of charge? That makes sense.
Wont even be that bad as I just mapped the trip and the car presently is not 100%.

Will bring the charge cord and plug in at the campground via 120v to get some more wattage in my cottage over the weelend so can make it back to GreenBay SC

Coo

EVRider | 02. august 2019

The navigation in the car bases the estimate on current conditions, including your current SOC and energy usage. As long as the conditions don't change (driving speed, lots of hills, etc.), the estimate should be reasonably accurate.

eddyline | 02. august 2019

Depends on what your 'estimated' vs. 'rated' vs. 'ideal' ranges are. Last road trip I took, the navcomp reliably underestimated my efficiency because most of my usual driving is city stop and go, so uses more power. I usually run ~290-310Wh/mi city, and got ~240-260 on the trip, and reliably wound up at the superchargers with between 2 and 4% more than the original estimate.

TranzNDance | 02. august 2019

My car usually underestimates the destination charge by 10%, meaning it estimated 10% but I ended with 20%. I use Autopilot and cruise in the lane next to the fast one unless I need to pass slow cars. It's pretty consistent so I'm comfortable completing a Supercharge with a lower buffer. YMMV, literally.

CooHead | 02. august 2019

All good then.
Thanx all

sentabo | 02. august 2019

My experience is close to TranzNDance's. When I took my first road trip a few years ago I was over-cautious and left at least a 15-20% buffer each time I charged. Invariably when I reached my destination I would have a few % more than what was projected. These days if I have a 10% buffer I don't give it a second thought.

I think you'll be okay.

Anthony J. Parisio | 03. august 2019

Isn't there a SC Before the suggested SC? This is often the case. If so I would stop sooner. I don't like going lower than 20%.

p.c.mcavoy | 03. august 2019

A couple things.

One condition the on-board NAV cannot really consider is weather such as winds or rain. If you’re expecting strong winds (head or cross winds) or lots of rain, then you’ll want to be more conservative.

Also, if you pull up the energy app on the main screen, flip to the trip page, it will show you your projected usage over the trip to your destination. The projected line will update dynamically as you drive. On long stretches (say 100-200 miles), it will tend to tune itself in pretty well after about 30 miles/minutes or so. If you’re concerned with it showing you say a 10% reserve at start of the trip, start off driving a little bit more conservatively, give it a bit to dial itself in, and then if you see you’re betting the projection you can start to increase your speed based upon your comfort factor.

If you’re using the NAV and it starts to project you’re going to get there with less than approximately 6% or so, it will start warning you to limit your speed. Typically will first start with saying stay below 70 or 75 mph if it’s just close, or maybe even as low as stay below 55 if it things your really going to be low. Ultimately it will yell at you in advance that you can’t make it.

I’ve not traveled as much as some here, but still about 48k miles over 3 years, about 40% long range trips, and I can’t think of a time that the on-board NAV has misled me, especially when I look at the dynamic projection after about 20-30 miles into a long stretch. Like others, most trips I’m able to actually better what it projects, but then I also tend to be a pretty smooth driver, tend to be moderate on the HVAC settings (heat or AC), and typically don’t exceed posted speed limits by more than 3-5 mph.

I also bring my UMC and a heavy 120V extension card with me just in case, but have never had to use it. I have taken advantage of a few hotel or public L2 chargers on a couple trips, one recently overnight at a HyVee in SE Iowa. That was a trip across the supercharger wasteland of east/central Illinois and SE Iowa getting from Bloomington/Normal IL to Des Moines via some intermediate locations in SE Iowa to see a couple old family friends and elderly relatives. I was confident in my ability to make that trip based upon mapping routes ahead of time using evtripplanner which I usually do for most any long trips.

kerryglittle | 03. august 2019

I believe if you set your navigation to the charger you want to go to the car would make adjustments to your energy supply and cut back on things not needed, and prepare the battery ahead of time so its optimal for charging. Just my thoughts.

Bumper | 03. august 2019

If nav determines you will be too low for arrival, it will put up a warning to limit your speed to XX to reach destination. So if you are not seeing that, you can be confident in your range.

TranzNDance | 03. august 2019

Since I've driven mostly in California, slow downs from traffic happen inevitably, so I've been able to ignore warnings from the car to reduce speed ahead of time. YMMV.

Yodrak. | 03. august 2019

"My car usually underestimates the destination charge by 10%, meaning it estimated 10% but I ended with 20%."

This has been my experience as well, or even a bit better. (On long distance highway trips I stick to the speed limit, it's fast enough fo me.)

Bighorn | 21. august 2019

Tkim, you ignorant slut.

Silver2K | 21. august 2019

you just insulted sluts!

docdac | 25. august 2019

It has been my experience that the NAV system seems to be aware of elevation changes and its effect on your energy consumption on your selected route. It cannot anticipate the (significant) effect of a head wind. Of course, driving slower than speed limit significantly increases range.

TranzNDance | 25. august 2019

+1 @Silver2K!