Forums

Has Time Of Day Shift Been Enabled?

Has Time Of Day Shift Been Enabled?

I'm really curious to know if Tesla has enabled through promised software (early 2018) the ability to drop off the main power line and used stored energy from Powerwall during peak hours. When I was trying to buy a PW system this was "in the works" and Tesla even offered graphic representations of how peak and off-peak times could be set with the app to charge PW off-peak then use that stored energy on-peak. My project got shot down by the electric company and I rather lost track of this item and am just curious to learn if it was ever implemented and what success users are having with it.

Tesla-David | 12. august 2019

@johncrab, yes Tesla-Energy implemented Time-based control some time ago. You also have the ability to use PW2 batteries in lieu of grid energy when you have your PW2's set to self-powered mode. We have two PW2's installed 14 months ago to complement our 13.2 kWh solar PV system, and are completely self-sufficient (no grid energy use) for ~9months of the year. I live in Edmonds, WA and we do not produce enough solar from November through early February to fully charge our PW2's and remain self sufficient, and do require grid energy during that period. This year we have been completely self sufficient since mid-February. I have been blown away with how well the PW2's have worked for us. Since we do not have TOU rates here, I have not used time-based control so can't comment on that particular function.

mikemillar | 12. august 2019
jrweiss98020 | 12. august 2019

David, I'm also in Edmonds, and my installation (9.1 KW + 2 Powerwalls) just started today. Should be on line next week, depending on SnoPUD inspection/meter install. Will be interesting to compare efficiencies...

johncrab | 12. august 2019

Great to hear. The way the local utility has things cooked, it's difficult to install storage. They make it quite difficult and add on lots of insane and unnecessary cost. The idea of going off-grid has a lot of appeal and then that would (ha!) negate the need for my question above. Thanks for the replies.

Tesla-David | 12. august 2019

@jrweiss98020 Where in Edmonds? We live off the inter urban trail near Lake Ballinger. You will love your PW2’s. Absolute game changer for us. Our utility PUD was great to deal with, and approved our installation the day A&R Solar finished the installation, so there was no waiting for us. Good luck and report back how things are working.